PDA

View Full Version : College choice help.

steveskittles
04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I was hoping people could give me some tips or pointers in the right direction, im currently living in Dublin and iv studied games design here in Ireland but now im looking for a change of scenery and wanting to gain some independence so id like to study across the waters. My area of interest is mainly 3d asset and environment creation and was hoping people could give advice or wheres a good place to study. Obviously id need somewhere with a campus as id require accomadation but thats really the only thing id need. Im 21 so i think im classed as a "mature" student. Is there any benifits to being a mature student? also since id be coming from Ireland would i be entitled to any grants or maintenace? Thanks

Also if somone could explain the difference between postgrad and undergrad courses. We dont use these terms in Ireland so i dont know what they mean:)

DanielWray
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey there, i can only really offer you limited knowledge and help since i dont start university until september. However since your interest is similair to mine i think i can help. By the sound of it, you'd like to study to become an enviroment artist. There aren't any courses that i know of that teach solely 3D enviroment creation/ 3D modeling. It's more targeted towards animation, even then you'll probably be learning about how to actaully do 3D modeling and animation in your own time.

However attending a university course for Bsc or Ba would be really helpfull as it'd allow you to study for 3 to 4 years, rarely do people have this amount of time to solely concentrate on improving there work/ workflow etc. Also post grad refers to some one who holds a foundation degree or degree in a subject and under grad means some one who doesnt hold qaulifactions in the subject. i think anway, i could be wrong. Just google the terms and put wiki at the end, you'll find the answer :)

anyway Teeside and bournemouth are supposed to be the best in the country for 3D modeling/ animation. Im attending northumbria myself, but i know it's all about how much i put in and not what i get taught, since universities can only do so much for you.

Also you should be entitled to grants (norther ireland?) for the course fee's, if you are entitled to support it should be upto 4 years of grants and loans, which means you could have the course paid for you, then you'd only have to pay for accomadation, food, books etc.

EDIT: since your a mature student it means you dont need to hold the required certifactes for a course, the universites can allow you on if you have sufficient knowledge and experience from either work, or personal interests (i.e. you can prove that you have studied on your own and you have a portfolio to back this up).

steveskittles
04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
cheers dan thats spot on. I was looking at this course at Teeside (http://www.tees.ac.uk/Undergraduate_courses/Animation_Games_&_Computer_Graphics/BA_(Hons)_Computer_Games_Art.cfm) which seems to cater my desires pretty well. Also the Uni itself looks great and from what i heard its to a high standard.

uttam007
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
y dont you try out for Whistling Woods International .... it is a hell of a place to enhance your knowledge .. here is the link ..i am pursuing it from here only .. here is the link http://www.whistlingwoods.net/main.asp

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.