PDA

View Full Version : Is modo all that and a bag of chips?

Navstar
04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm really really curious about modo 401. :drool:

We've traditionally modeled everything in Maya (mostly polys, mostly hard surfaces,). But it has a very expensive and frequent upgrade cycle. I'm thinking of transitioning the office toward modo. It really looks and feels like a next-gen modeller. Are there any 'gotchas' or general advice you can give Maya modelers to make the transition smooth?

Magnus3D
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
401 sure looks like a awesome upgrade, and it's definately gonna be worth every penny. :)

If you're used to standard poly and subdiv modeling from Maya then you should have no real issues with modeling in Modo, the whole workflow is much easier and more logical there. The tools are easily accessible either via shortcuts which you can set yourself or use the menues or buttons in the interface. There are also plenty of good tutorials, free one's at Luxology-TV and payware tutorials which helps you get started with Modo from scratch.

While you wait for 401 to be released you could download the 302 demo and play with that for a month, use it to get familiar with the interface and the tools so you're ready to rock when 401 hits the streets in a not to distant future. :)

And also use the Modo forum if you have any questions, it's full of helpful people there who can answer just about any question you may have.

/ Magnus

Novakog
04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
401 has a lot of new modeling features/tools/etc., but there are no dramatic systematic changes to the modeling system, so I recommend you give the 302 trial a try. If it "feels right", then so will 401, and if it doesn't then neither will 401 (unless you feel hindered by specific little things that you know are fixed by the 401 preview; for instance 302's edge bevel admittedly doesn't work as well as it should in certain cases).

I'm a little biased, but moving from a Maya background into modo was an enlightening experience in terms of modeling - it's cheesy and kind of the "Lux tagline", but I always felt that I had to kind of work around Maya, and in modo I feel the software works for me instead of against me; I never enjoyed modeling in Maya like I do now.

So yeah, if modeling will be your primary use for modo, give it a try.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.