PDA

View Full Version : Rendering- standard Image file format

MBaker
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM
What file format should I use for rendering non-multi pass images in programs such as 3dsmax and maya?

Right now I render as Tiff using the defualt settings, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it.

OrchidFace
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
There is no right way to do it. It's all about what your intentions are. In most cases a .tif or .tga will work fine. I think most people use .tga. If your just rendering a single beauty pass and don't plan on making drastic changes in the composite it doesn't even matter that much. If you plan on messing with the lighting at the composite stages then you'd prolly want to do a floating point format like .exr

venomgfx
05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I would go for .exr as well, gives you a lot more freedom afterwards.

DoubleSupercool
05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
How do .exr's compare to TGA and TIF files in terms of file size if you just have the colour information?

aesnakes
05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Well most tiffs or uncompressed file formats are 4096k in file size per channel. So if you have an RGBA file you have a 16M file. This can be very heavy, EXR is great for multiple channels because it has a very good lossless compression that can keep the quality high and the file size down. Most people seem to pick a linear workflow with exr files coming from 3d into something like nuke that works in a Linear 32bit float env.

My suggestion to you is to use PNG files, they are lossless, small and can hold RGBA information. Many studios Ive worked with tend to use them over TIFF and TARGA.

Rob

OrchidFace
05-12-2009, 02:09 AM
My suggestion to you is to use PNG files, they are lossless, small and can hold RGBA information. Many studios Ive worked with tend to use them over TIFF and TARGA.

Rob

I second that suggestion. I love .PNG. It's what I use for almost everything.

almightie
05-21-2009, 06:13 AM
One more thing I would like to add is....you should also look at features list of your post production software....because combination of your 3D application + your post production software also makes difference to your output format type....

Example: If you are using 3ds max or maya with combination of combustion or other Autodesk post production software then .rpf format will give you much more options in post production then any other output format.....so rather then choosing one specific format of output you should understand your scene requirements and make a proper choice of output type.....also keep your post production software limitations or benefits in your mind.....that will make your work lot easier and smooth....

Hope this will help you in one or the other way...

Ciao.....

:)

MBaker
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Sorry for the late reply- I normally render straight to a beauty pass since I'm not that familiar with mutipass compositing, but I think I got the general idea. Thanks for the advice.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.