PDA

View Full Version : Compositing questions

ofir3dvb
07-11-2003, 04:22 PM
hi all!!
i am newbie in composition things.
i want to do that some object(in 3d) wil be in real environment what i need to do? should i need to use in my 3d software(3ds max)? or should i need to use After Effects and alpha channel?
and if i will use alpha channel i will can to put shadow in After Effects ? and this will be look convincing?

i will be happy :) if you will answer to my questions.
thank you and sorry about my bad english.

i will wait for post.

ofir3dvb
07-11-2003, 04:31 PM
oh and i froget to say that i mean to video and not for picture.

jlelievre
07-12-2003, 02:12 AM
The first step of doing a composite is using an alpha channel. This will allow you to layer your 3d image over your real background and have it show through. There are various file options you can use in max that allow your render to contain an alpha channel. You can render it out as a .tiff , .tga , .rla , or a .rpf. If you're starting out in compositing it's probably best to use a .tga file. Rla's and rpf's contain more information such as z-depth, material id's and other information used in more complicated composites.

Now if you want your render to have shadows when layered on top of your background, I suggest you look into 3dmax's matte/shadow material. Using this material will allow you to save shadows with your render so you can use them in After Effects. Check in the 3dmax help files, there will be some documentation explaning how to use this material.

In After Effects you will start off with two layers: the first will be the background or the real life footage you want to use. Then the second is your 3d element which you will lay over top of the previous layer. Now you may have to play with the 3d element
to match it with the background. Settings like color balance, levels, grain etc. Adjust some of these setting until you feel both layers look like they fit together.

This is just a basic process; there's a lot more to compositing but this should get you started. I hope this helps you out a little bit.
:)

Joel
http://www.intrinsia.net

ofir3dvb
07-12-2003, 07:52 AM
thank you that you answer i understand now servel thing that i don't know befor.

thank you again!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.