PDA

View Full Version : Ragdoll for physics simulation

allelements
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello,

I'm a indie programmer but a n00b when it comes to content creation. I need to do physics simulation on a character for my game but I am having a hard time finding models that fit this bill. Here is what I need:

1) Nice looking 3D male and female characters for games
2) Models have to be rigged
3) Models need to have a ragdoll attached

Where can I get such models? I looked around on the web but I found some models that met only a few of the above 3 features. I could not find this topic discussed in these forums.

How do people setup such character in commercial games? Presumably, they have their own artists exporting such ragdoll+3D model from the DCCs. Do they sell these contents? Where can I get such models?

Thanks a bunch!

allelements
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I would appreciate any input from artists who are developing content for game physics. Or am I posting in the wrong forum?

Thanks

FluidEdge
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM
the time you spend hunting around the internet looking for decent models that fit what you're looking for would be better spent getting your hands dirty and modelling something yourself. Sorry but really it's not to hard to make a rag doll. A shaped sphere for the head, 4 cylinders for arms and legs and a cube/sphere for the torso. You don't even need to model hand/fingers really.

Look at the little big planet characters for refernce.

allelements
04-10-2009, 05:14 AM
I see. I guess that is how it works with content -- make your own little content that is suited for your corner cases instead of working with off-the-shelf components.

Maya, here I come....

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2009, 05:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.