PDA

View Full Version : UV maps and Sub patches in Lightwave

tpe
05-07-2002, 06:01 AM
First i think this board really is a treasure chest of artwork and info.

O.K to the question...

After having made a low polycount model in lightwave UV mapping it and texturing it i want to toggle subpatches on for animation, smoothing, tweaking geometry and rendering. When i look at the texturing it is all messed up, every time a polygone has been subdivided the texture is pinched. Then i have to remap everything after freezing the subpatches

This does not happen in softimage, have i been missing something in lightwave, is it really true that models have to be uv mapped and textured in their frozen high polycount form making the process a nightmare.

Is there any way round this, please tell me yes and how.

Many thanks

tpe

Hmnn could be that this should have been in the Lightwave section, but i dont want to spam the boards

leigh
05-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Hmmmm... that sounds really weird :surprised

You don't have to freeze the mesh before UV unwrapping, but possibly if the one you unwrapped has a really low poly count, then it would cause problems. I personally never freeze before texturing - it slows down modeller far too much.

Won't you post a render where the texture is messed up??

tpe
05-07-2002, 10:03 AM
Leigh thanks for the quick reply. This is a really low poly guy 1k but i was hoping to do a high poly version, it was not modeled as a patch mesh but just something i had on my hdd, so it is not the best example

http://www.tnslblover.co.uk/users/tpe/texturestretch.jpg

I have had the problem loads of times and it has really stopped me arranging my maps the way i want and costs me a fair bit of time. I have the feeling i must be missing something basic :P

tpe

leigh
05-07-2002, 10:44 AM
:surprised :surprised
Ummm..... did you use planar unwrapping??? What kind of unwrap did you use?

tpe
05-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Hmnn, well the torso front of the is planar in the z axis, the side in the x axis the back is in the z axis again but negative U then they are placed next to each other and the points on the seams welded and tweeked so as there is as little distortion as poss using a chequered temp texture and the pieces optimised so as to leave as little unused UV space as poss. The arms are cylindrical mapping on a streightened morph target. The head and hands are really messy, well non standard. this way there are only a few seams, little distortion and little wasted space. So it is not really any definate type of mapping.

Hell i will paste a mesh of the mapping if thats ok, i think it is pretty standard for game models.

http://www.tnslblover.co.uk/users/tpe/mapping.jpg

BTW those are great eyes ;)

leigh
05-07-2002, 11:26 AM
*scientist who has just discovered something amazing voice* AHA!!! I think I know EXACTLY why this isn't working!!
It's those damn tri-polys!!! Get rid of them!!! You see the area where the t-shirt stripes are? Merge those 3-sided poys to form 4-sided ones.... I'm sure that should do the trick ;)

tpe
05-07-2002, 12:09 PM
LOL Scientist... More like Genius. How you figured that out i dont know :)

That sorted it, I guess that edges are not so important to the shape on high poly. Now i am going to have to go through thousands of polies on all my old low poly stuff (some will be impossible) and certainly have a major rethink in my modelling style (no more triangles will be hard to get out of on low poly).

Many thanks for all the help and replies

tpe

leigh
05-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Glad to have been of help :)
I always try and avoid using tri-polys, as they often cause major problems like this... Although, like you said, it's tricky to avoid them when modelling in low poly. Best of luck! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.