PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Doom - Short Lip sync

Ofer1
04-07-2009, 04:25 AM
http://vimeo.com/4035058

Just experimenting with blendshapes and lip syncing here. I know it still needs work, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should focus on, or what just looks plain wrong.

I used a short track from the old Fantastic Four animated series, hence the crappy audio quality, but awesomely expressive voice overs. I chose to do Dr. Doom because his character's animation on the show is so unbelievably stiff, it reminds you of Pokemon. Yet whoever did Doom's voice overs gave his character so much animation potential. I tried to visualize what Dr. Doom would look like under his mask, face moving.
The next steps, other than fixing current flaws, would be to give him a nice layered texture and animate movements in the first half, so he doesn't just start to move out of nowhere, obviously. Might give him a body too? we will see...

Thank you!

KyleG
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
The main thing that stuck out to me is the eyebrows, they are very floaty and don't seem connected to the face, they're moving randomly and without purpose. All the pieces of the face are connected, don't just animated each part individually, you need to think of the face as a whole. Also are you wanting to get into rigging or animation? If you want to focus on animation, then just download a free rig from the internet, there's no point in making your own blendshape face rig.

Ofer1
04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah I will probably do that in the future, but this was done for a class assignment, so we had to do everything from scratch to get practice on head modeling, then creating the blendshapes and then animating the face with the sound track. My school here in Baltimore has always encouraged us to become CG generalists, but I am just discovering that I should focus and excel at one or two aspects of CG. I've only taken one 3D class before this one, so I guess they just want me to find my niche.

Anyways thanks for taking a look at it Kyle, what I was trying to do with the eyebrows was exaggerate his facial expressions and get have him almost talk with his eyes (I found that part pretty amusing) and be just an exaggerated character, just like his voice. And by saying that the eyebrows don't look connected to the face, you mean that when they move up, some parts of the face would stretch up with them, right? because I see what you are saying, and I did animate each part of the face seperately, I think I'll be able to easily fix that.

KyleG
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Not only connected to the face, but connected to the dialog. Right now the eyebrows are just moving around without a purpose, you want the eye brows to help accent parts of your dialog and yours seems to be moving at randoms times without purpose.

Ofer1
04-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Ahh yes, that's a good point. I appreciate it thank you.

going back to work now!

Ofer1
04-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Ahh yes, that's a good point. I appreciate it thank you.

going back to work now!

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2009, 03:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.