PDA

View Full Version : how to change default surface colo(u)r?

bopuc
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
I want to change the default surface color (light grey) to something else, is that possible? :hmm:

ps
I really, really like the look of LW interface colors on http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/

aurora
07-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Sure thing, not a problem. There are 2 easy ways to do this. The first easiest way is to go to the 'Display' panel (press d) then change the 'Background color' to what you want for that particular view. Note you can have different colors for each view if you sent each view to independant mode. The second funner way is to actually change all of the colors in your config file. Check this thread to see what I mean.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64328&highlight=ActionButtonColor

Nemoid
07-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Sure!!
create an object and go in Surface editor from there u can choose your color and the material channels to alter the look. also, u can rename it and do many other things.
to create new surfaces (parts of the obj),select some poly, hit q and give the name and the color if u want. they will be listed in Surf editor as well to refine them.

CourtJester
07-11-2003, 04:14 PM
er, I got the impression that bopuc means that when he loads up Modeler and creates something, he wants the Default surface to be some other color. For that very first surface, I don't know if that can be altered.

However, if you hit "q" and define a new surface, there is a control on that same panel on the left side that says "Make Default". Create something, assign a new surface with your intended color, then be sure that "Make Default" is selected on the left side before you hit "OK". That new surface will now be used for all object creation.

If you want that to continue to be the default even after you use "q" again to create a new surface, click it off. That way, all new object creation will still happen with that first surface instead of the last new one you created.

aurora
07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Thats what I thought at first till I looked at the link he referenced which happened to have a blueish background and kinda thought he meant the viewport color and not the goldish object color. I kinda figured he already knew about the 'q' surfacing command. My bad if I'm wrong. You know it would be nice if you could set that default surface color in the cfg file now that we are talking about it. Anybody ever send that suggestion into NewTek?

Nemoid
07-11-2003, 04:26 PM
yap, he talked of surface.. then of interface..:rolleyes: i had the same impression about the default surface before creating objects.
so hope my reply helped.

Cman
07-11-2003, 07:21 PM
No, you can't change the default surface - except as mentioned.
Yes, it's been suggested to Newtek - once or twice.

bopuc
07-14-2003, 01:36 PM
sorry for the slow respond, took couple of days off the comp...:rolleyes:

CourtJester:
You're right! That's what I meant. Err, I'll try to be more explicit when I post question next time :)

to other folks:
thanks for the fast respond and nice answers.

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.