PDA

View Full Version : Characters 3D: Skin-ed, Fear, Maria

Engy
07-11-2003, 11:36 AM
These are my new characters, Maria is an older character that I rerendered with better skin materials. I am trying to use as few patches as possible, so i can both render them quickly and turn them into game characters by dropping the subdivisions and converting to a mesh. Check out these Animations of the characters they are just small snippets for the moment.

http://www.engy.org/movies/3D_NEW/ACCEPT2.mov
http://www.engy.org/movies/3D_NEW/MARIA_TALK.mov

http://www.vi2.com/getFile/210010.jpg

http://www.vi2.com/getFile/210014.jpg

http://www.vi2.com/getFile/210012.jpg

colt
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Those are really great characters. Good texturing too. I also like your light setup on the first pic. But you should use soft shadows - that would further inprove the skin look. This way you get some strange corners i.e. the corner of her mouth in the second pic, or the shadow of the eyelashes on the eyes - you'll never see that in reality.

Anyway, great work here.
:applause:

OlafK
07-11-2003, 01:26 PM
really nice characters, textures and all look very well...
as colt said, the shadows look a bit strange, you could work on that - but anyway, great work

(i actually would love to see those characters animated ;) )

jerr3d
07-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Both your characters look Excellent! The lighting and textures are fantastic. And I am getting my head shaved so I can get a spider tatoo like that!

ahven
07-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Excellent texturing of skin material. The irises only could be more reflective or have some kind of "moisture" on top. :applause:

UnlikelyCorny
07-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Excellent skins, especially how they blend with the environment.
Probably due to the lighting.
The second pic has that as well but for some reason the face looks a bit too old for the face features and my guess is that that is because of the bump. That makes it as if the character is wearing far too much make-up, it has a bit of a powderry feel.

What software did you use and how did you set up the skin?

Last but not least, a wire maybe,.... since we like a bit of flesh, but are even more interested in that what's underneath.
;)

Engy
07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
I am also in the process of putting the small avis i made of these characters talking on my website

Wireframe.
http://www.vi2.com/getFile/210062.jpg

behzad
07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
If you are trying to achieve realism here, then I would say the skin looks like a dead persons skin. But if you would put these characters in a video game, something like hunted mansion (the dead coming back to life) then I would say they are perfect.

UnlikelyCorny
07-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by behzad
If you are trying to achieve realism here, then I would say the skin looks like a dead persons skin.

I guess you haven't seen that many dead people, or you may come from a part of the world where the dead look really healthy. The blood stops running when your dead (except for in certain videogames and horrormovies) causing the blood to loose its fluicity and color. Dead people skins therefore are more grey -with large purple spots where the skin has been bruzed.

This is at least the understanding I have of dead peoples skin. Very different from the pictures up here....

Mescalito256
07-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Love the lighting. Did you use HDRI?

I actually like the exagerated bumpmaps, they remind me of some hyper-realistic acrylic portraits I've seen. Also, I've never used Max, but that is a lot of detail for seemingly simple geometry on the face. Congrats, I've never been able to be that efficient with a mesh.

Can't wait to see them animated. :applause:

PS: The male character reminds me of Spyder Jerusalem from the comicbook "Transmetropolitan"

Carbon
07-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Umm...Unlike everyone else, I think the shadows make it look real...These look really realistic hope to see more of your work in the future!:)

Engy
07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Cheers for crits so far.

Check out the links to the small snippets of animation i added at the top of this thread.

UnlikelyCorny
07-14-2003, 03:06 PM
fantastic snippets, for such a detailled faces you have some really fluent facial movements there. Camera is a bit floaty, but hé, who cares......

Ps. some blinks would make them even more lifelike....

Engy
07-15-2003, 09:58 AM
The camera is attached to a biped, to create a first person experience. but maybe the movement is a little over exagerated.

Silvexil
07-15-2003, 10:22 AM
I must say the animations are amazing, I havent seen something so realistic and alive!!!!! simply wow i am blown away!!!!!!!!!!

hhmaya
07-15-2003, 11:47 AM
is good model
i like the light
Special the first image
:applause: keep this work

Icestar
07-15-2003, 12:29 PM
hhmm the harsh light is a little offsetting but only a tiny bit. i think it works really well. They have personality which i like.

Engy
07-15-2003, 03:48 PM
to Mescalito,
Thanks for your comments
I used a combination of area lights and the brazil GI setting.

Chong
07-15-2003, 04:03 PM
the only comment i really have is on the morphs/animation. There's no movement on the cheeks of the characters when they're talking. this makes it look wrong. All the morphs in general look too localized. There's no attention to the other parts of the face they're stretching. Right now the characters seem lifeless because of it. The other reason is because you haven't animated the eyes on them. That too would add alot. my two cents.

Deathcricket
07-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Excellent animation! The shadows seemed fine to me and the animation looked flawless. The only 2 things I would improve. Both very minor...

1. Move the jaw a little bit more when they talk. It seems like it doesn't go down just enough. Record yourself talking and notice the space generated between your teeth while forming sentences. Your lips look right, just not enough "jaw action". This might cause problems later on though by making the voice "dubbing" not line up with the animation as well.

2. A quick blink every 4-9 seconds will do wonders for realism. The female has a great blink right at the beginning, I would toss another one in towards the end when her eyebrows move. The male doesn't blink at all. I think one in the middle when his eyes move after his first sentence would be perfect!

One last thing after watching again... On the female, experiment with flaring the nostrils out slighty (very slight) when she is taking in a breath for her second sentence. It might enhance her temper a bit. :beer:

Engy
07-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Cheers,
I will do some more expression morph targets then.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.