PDA

View Full Version : Environment:Room

DeathGoth
07-11-2003, 08:40 AM
http://www.piczonline.com/client/deathgoth/room0012-0072a.JPG
wire
http://www.piczonline.com/client/deathgoth/Capture0000008.JPG

well here is a room myself and a freind...(DownwrdSpiral) put together... he helped model a few things... I did the rest... anyway

the scene is done completely in 3ds max 5 usesd vray to render.... this scene I think looks aight for only useing 3ds max for about 6 or 8 months... refering to me.... I am tring to get it... shall i say... almost "photo real".. so I need a bit of crit here.... anyway I know a few issues i need to fix now....
also poly count on this scene is around 230,000

they are here...
frames for pics junk around the room
people grime...
lighting is an issue i am still working on... need help on that alot... altho i havent seen much on what i am looking for so trial and error... anyway thanx for looking...

there is no postwork on this....

tmtechie
07-11-2003, 12:03 PM
very nice some textures need sharpening here and there and the scale is totally thrown off because of the green giant 4x6 pictures on the wall - replace these with painting or something suitable to be that size.

also no buttons on the chairs??

rob-beddall
07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
hey!!
ok, here are my crits.

1. The texture on the window frame on the right doesn,t look right. it just looks like a colour with no texture.

2.both the lamp and the table on the left sem to be floating. perhaps some better shadows are needed.

3. on the left hand side of the front of the chair you can see the hard edges of the geometry. try softening these edges.

4.next time post the wireframe ontop of shaded geometry. it's almost impossible to make out anything in your wire pic. ( just a little tip)

5.it could just be me but the texture for the wallpaper seems to be blurred.??

6. the glass vase on the left doesn't look very good but i think it will be hard to make it look good with the lighing that is in that part of the room.

7. the middle part of the room (the table basically) looks really good. nice textures and i think the glass table top is working very well. but it appears that the ash tray is tilted , as tho it's about to take off. this could just be my wonky eyes tho.

8. the sunlight on the floor is also working well.

9. i can't see where the red is coming from? it's reflected in the window, and looks to be on the side of the chair, but none of the other chirs arew red? dunno if this is a problem or how it is supposed to be.

10. this one might sound crazy and i don't know if it's true or not. but if the sun is coming in through the windows at the back of the scene and also through the top skylight thingy, then i'm pretty sure you wouldn't see a reflection of the skylight in the back window. it just looks very odd i think. ( but as i said i could be wrong about this one.)

11. i like the sculptor inbetween the windows, nice design and good materials.

12. and finally, ........you can't seriously be thinking of having those paintings on the wall? it's not the content of the pics, they just look as though they have been stuck in as an afterthought. if your gonna put pics on the wall then i think your gonna have to do more than still some jpegs on a stretched cube. sorry if that last one sounded a bit harsh but they instantly detract from the art work. with out the pics ( and perhaps better wall paper) the pic would already look 10 times better.

i hope you can turn some of these crits into positive work.
keep us updated.

cheers!!

DeathGoth
07-11-2003, 03:56 PM
well here is a shaded room before texturing... or i had to redo the texturing.... cause of this one error... anyway here...

http://www.piczonline.com/client/deathgoth/LALA06d.jpg

rob-beddall
07-14-2003, 12:29 PM
hey!!
Cinematography, i think you need to read the rules fanboy:wip:

hardy har delete me...

mefestofel
07-14-2003, 04:16 PM
what is your goal in this post? s it just to get the lighting right? because if you are trying to do photoreal work you need to go back to modeling. the chairs are horrid :thumbsdow

Most everything looks like basic geometry.

The image is super blured, why not render a smaller image but make it sharper.

The lighting isn't bad but i don't get the red in the chair by the window.

It has a vey plastic feel, try some shading and bump maping.

I know that this is only your start with Max but this is a serious C&C forum.

OH and the Photos on the walls HAVE TO GO!

The table top looks good :thumbsup: but still blured

Cinematography
07-14-2003, 06:57 PM
ROB_BEDDALL
"Cinematography, i think you need to read the rules fanboy"
What are you talking about? I haven't even posted here yet. :buttrock:

>

Anyways.....

>

DeathGoth
1) If you're going to have pictures in the room, they must be consistant with the theme or feeling of the room.

2) Frames for the pictures [the right pics] would be nice.

And my other comments have already been covered by the others. The lighting and models are excellent. You just have to be careful about how you texture.

mefestofel
07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Cinematography: your post was in here earlier today it maight have been an error. But it said something like "i see more and more photoreal stuff come out of Max" or something like it. I'm guessing it was deleted by the admin

Cinematography
07-14-2003, 08:56 PM
mefestofel
"I'm guessing it was deleted by the admin"
Or maybe it never existed.
:thumbsup:

cbutlerc
07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
The image is a great start.

1. The furniture looks very stiff not very comfortable to sit in, and you can also see the segments in the geometry.
Perhaps create a falloff material to soften the fabric and possibly use an Oren-Nayer Blinn shader which should help also

2. The lighting looks OK, Im not sure how you set up the lighting but I noticed in your screen cap that all of your light is coming from the skylight above, which is correct.
but since you are using GI in Vray, you may want to add only one or two lights for the skylight and add additional lights in each window to give the look of light pouring in through the windows.

3. The decor doesnt seem to go together either, the pink wallpaper and the yellow & browns in floor and ceiling just dont go well together.

I think you are doing very well, doing interiors with Vray are not the easiest thing to do.

I hope these suggestions help, and they are only suggestions, so take them for what they are worth.

JonM
07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
yea, its pretty good,

As what was said before, you need to change the pictures to some paintings or something with a nice frame. You need to work on the window frames too.

Also where those tubes meet the couch under the armrest look odd, work on that, it looks like they are not connected.

Jimzip
07-18-2003, 02:46 PM
First thing that came to my mind was the pictures. They are gone, they must go.
Also, it looks different in the last render but in the first picture the chairs need fixing up. I'm talking geometry, mainly the cushions and arms. You can really see the polygons in the first image.
I do think the floor looks good, and the lighting, ornament at the back, table, lamps and vase look very good.

Jimzip :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.