PDA

View Full Version : ball and chain... (bacherlor vs associate)

TGNSD
04-06-2009, 02:26 AM
First semester... gone. Regrets, no but it was an expensive lesson to learn. I originally majored in graphic design at a four year school three hours away from home. As the fall went on and the weather grew colder, I must admit I became quite bitter about graphic designer's. I went into this major wanting to become free of the constructs of monotony and the dreadful fate of cubicle terminal flatness. To my disappointment, a graphic designer is just a fancy for 'adobe technician'.

Flash forward now to second semester, roughly my eighth week in at a local community college, 25 minutes from home and I find myself suffocating in my own depression. Clearly it was the worst mistake I could have made. Not to mention my switch to an engineer major has not been what I've been looking for... But because of it I've been more aware that a degree as a designer is the only majors that will allow me to find the most happiness for what I want to live for.

So here's my dilemma: My first school I left originally because I felt trapped by limited majors, absence of athletics, and lack-of intramural clubs. I'm beginning to realize now that these are hobbies and my main focus should be on art. I get out of it what I put in and I feel that a strong portfolio speaks louder than a run-of-the-mill state school bachelor degree.

What if instead of finding the 'right' four year school, I was to instead finish an associates degree in graphics, save enough money to move out west and take courses at art schools that would improve my artistic merits, while applying and hoping to land internships?

Or is it possible at some schools like Ringling/the visual arts that have programs that will take associate degrees and have a two year track to a bachelors?

obviously it would be foolish to take any advice 'too' to heart but it would mean a lot to hear your opinions on this, especially bachelors vs. associates.

kaustavsinha
04-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi tbrosati, :)

First of all, in which Major are you currently in: Engineering or Graphic Design? I guess, you are currently in Engineering Major!

Well, by reading your entire post, I really feel that, you yourself have realized what your ultimate goal in life is: Graphic Design! That's it! Just chase your dream!

I actually like your plan very much! Go ahead, and do your AA degree in Graphic Design, then take some training classes and then start applying for internships!

And yes, you are absolutely right! A strong Demo-Reel is the one & the only key in getting a world-class job!

danshewan
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
To my disappointment, a graphic designer is just a fancy for 'adobe technician'.

Not true - it's just that many educational establishments offering graphic design courses have no business claiming that they actually teach the fundamentals of design. Many universities think that a room full of Macs with Creative Suite installed taught by an 'Adobe Technician' constitutes a design program.

Flash forward now to second semester, roughly my eighth week in at a local community college, 25 minutes from home and I find myself suffocating in my own depression. Clearly it was the worst mistake I could have made.

Man, lighten up. Believe me, there are far worse mistakes you could've made. So you chose the wrong major - so what? It's all about perspective and outlook. Think of your time 'wasted' as a clear indication of what you really wanted to do, and go do it.

As for associates versus bachelors, choose the program that will stretch and challenge you, teach you the skills you need to pursue your career goals and don't worry so much about the academic side of things. Do whatever it takes to get a great portfolio, and if you happen to land a degree at the same time, it's all good.

All the best, and good luck.

taxguy
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
tbrosati, I would lighten up. You have your whole life to correct any perceived problems.

I am not sure what your interests are from your post, however, have you considered Digital Design at Unversity of Cincinnati's School of Design, Art, Architecture and Planning (DAAP)? It is a fabulous program that gives kids a lot of options. It provides strong training in anything Adobe and graphic arts, and digital photography and Flash and HTML and Cinema 40 and the design arts in general. Thus, you get strong training in web design. You also get decent training in animation and special effects, although not as strong as you would get in a pure animation curriculum. It is sort of a combination of art, design and computer science. In fact, kids get some training in C++ too.

Finally, Cincinnati is known for their integrated coop program. You will get six quarters of job experience ,which can't be beat. My daughter helped design a number of web sites for movies and has worked on the American Idol site and has dome some animation for a prospective game and for an Iphone game. It is an amazing program and is well- respected by a number of art directors for many fields of design, and you should look into it.

Be aware, however, that there are three downsides to the school. First, it is a very academic school for admission. You would need a very strong GPA in your previous college to transfer in. As a freshmen from high school, kids need at least a 3.5+ GPA overall and decent SATs. YOu would probably need at least a 3.3+ in college to qualify to transfer into the program.

Secondly, it requres a special person to do well there. You REALLY need to bust your butt if you are going to succeed and do well. You have to also be commited to design.There is a LOT to know and relatively little time to master all the material. Many art schools just overwork their kids in the foundation year.Think of Cincinnati's program as one akin to a music conservatory but for design. Cincinnati is very demanding for all five years. Yes, it is a five year program since there are 6 quarters of coops.

Finally, although their design programs are top notch, the same can't be said for their fine arts program.If you know that you specifically solely want animation or special effects then it probably won't be the right program for you since it gives a more broad based approach to the digital arts and very little life drawing and figure drawing in their program. Anyway...just a thought.

Kanga
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
... But because of it I've been more aware that a degree as a designer is the only majors that will allow me to find the most happiness for what I want to live for.
What is it exactly that you want to live for?

Sit down and ask yourself what it is you want,.... then tell us.

TGNSD
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
kaustavsinha: Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement and yes, this semester i was in a transferable engineering/industrial design program at community college. Engineering turns out to be exactly what I wasn't looking for. Math, Design governed by budget, suit and tie, and worst of all monotony.

danshewan: Many universities think that a room full of Macs with Creative Suite installed taught by an 'Adobe Technician' constitutes a design program.

Exactly how my first school presented their graphic design program. I remember how crushed I felt after finding out the school didn't own any tablets or cintiq's. And as for lightening up, yeah your right, I should stop being a diva; far many more people have thousands of worse problems than just a wasted semester. I should look to challenge myself because that's the only way we become better and more adaptable; thank you sir.

taxguy: I have actually in the past looked at this school and more particularly this exact program. Something about it though just never felt right... I'm going to have to get back to you on this but in the past I remember quite early in my decision process that this school wasn't the right one.

Kanga: What is it exactly that you want to live for?

Your right this is a heavy question.

The easiest way for me to answer this is that I like adventure. It sounds cheesy but, I find myself the happiest when I discover something new, whether that be a trail less travled in the woods or a new approach to blending paints.

My strongest asset is also my biggest weakness. I like change. I'm always up to experiance something new and take a plunge. What happens though is that eventually I'll grow bored of repitition and move on.

I have a confession, and that I rarley finish what I start. I've never held the same job for two months. You can call it spontaneity or free-spirited, but what it really comes down to is my lack of interest in performing the same task from day-to-day.

So what is it that I want to live for? Adventure. This world is often monotnous and dull, where more than three quarters of all humans live day-in-day-out in their monkey suits; making enough money to buy material pocessions that convinve themselves that their happy.

I like freedom. Wearing whatever I like, talking to anyone on the train I want to, I'm a loud person and I like to be heard. Hiking, painting, drawing, offroading, and playing sports are when I find myself the happiest. I'm as addicted to change as I am to adrenaline. If i can't find thrill in where I work why show up becuase I'm just going to be unhappy.

So what kind of major is out their that is like this.... the closest I can get is graphics. I can travel the world if my portfolio's strong enough. I can work freelance, where yes, some commsions will be similiar but it'll be more change than a run-of-the-mill desk job. I can live how I please without the constructs of offices, and most important It requires artistic merits to be good at....

opinions? And if you choose to be harsh, trust me the most important lesson's I've learned involved getting my head smacked around a bit first.

kaustavsinha
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
kaustavsinha: Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement and yes, this semester i decided to switch to a transferable engineering/industrial design program at community college. Engineering turns out to be exactly what I wasn't looking for. Math, Design governed by budget, suit and tie, and worst of all monotony.

Hi tbrosati, :)

I'm glad, that you liked my comments! I hope that, you'll enjoy the Industrial Design program! :)

This world is often monotnous and dull, where more than three quarters of all humans live day-in-day-out in their monkey suits; making enough money to buy material pocessions that convinve themselves that their happy.

But, this line really does not fit into my mind! You can not call humans living in "monkey suits" :eek: Everyone needs money to survive! You can not buy happiness with the money, but can make your family & friends happy with it, eg. by taking them to holiday tours etc, & above all, helping them by providing food, which will come in return of money only!

You wanna' know some adventurous jobs? I guess, there's no better job in the entertainment industry in Hollywood Movie Industry, like Animation, VFX, Acting, Singing etc...! :deal: You can also choose a sports career, as a footballer, cricketer etc! If the movie industry & sports does not sound adventurous to you, then I'm afraid, I guess, I've NO more options available for you to suggest!

It's a very serious concern with you, since you can no longer wait for more than 2 months in a particular job; then how will you complete your Graduation/AA degree, which are atleast 2 years (24 months; 12 times more) in duration! :hmm:

I doubt that, within a span of 2-3 years, you'll taste all the Graphic Designing companies around the world, since you'll not stay longer than 2 months in each! If the job requires you to stay more than 2 months, you may leave the company in the mid-way of the project, & make the entire team helpless!

Everybody does love adventure! But, one needs to draw a line at some point, I guess! Go to party, enjoy with friends, play soccer, do everything you wish to do, but give your professional field more importance than these activities!

You need to think a while, how come professional actors spend a year or more, in just a single project, to make it successful! :lightbulb

Kanga
04-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Jeeze mate,... if I got to work at a nifty game studio and I had to wear a bunny suit to do it,... I would!

You got to walk the walk,... not talk the talk.

miketche
04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Maybe try this guys approach.

New job every week. (http://www.oneweekjob.com/wp-content/video/player/)

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.