PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast Render Setting

Julez4001
07-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Okay.
Lately when I render for Television, I swear my anti-aliasing doesn't seem to cut the mustuard. My video looks "as" sharp as they do on my computer monitor.

720 480 0.9
medium AA
adaptive sampling OFF
No field rendering

fro NTSC

Anybody else have this seemly occurring problem.

BoulYaBase
07-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Are you using Motion Blur?
Do you have the Soft Filter on?

I used the Soft Filter made my last DVD project look for a client. Not so great on the computer screen, but very nice on the television screen.

Julez4001
07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Also anyone has any YUV color settings.
What I have on computer screen is not what I get on my TV screen.

Steve Warner
07-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
What I have on computer screen is not what I get on my TV screen.
It almost never will. There are a couple of things to consider before you tinker with your images, however. First, be sure that you are using a broadcast monitor and not a TV screen. A broadcast monitor will allow for adjustments to phase, underscan, bluecheck, etc. that a TV will not have. Run NTSC color bars out of your computer (and ideally through a waveform monitor and vectorscope to make sure they're accurate) and then calibrate your monitor accordingly. If you're not familiar with calibrating your broadcast monitor, check this:

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Having a properly calibrated monitor is essential. Without it, you'll never know if your renders are too saturated, too bright or dark, etc.

Once your broadcast monitor is calibrated, try adjusting your computer monitor to match. You'll never get it 100% due to the way RGB and YUV color spaces operate.

Certain NLEs will provide driver support for applications like LightWave. For example, my Matrox DigiSuite has display drivers for LW and After Effects that allow me to see renders directly on my broadcast monitor. Check with your hardware and see if it offers something similar.

If you don't have the option of a display driver, try taking your images into After Effects (or even Photoshop) and running an NTSC limit filter on them. This should help bring the images more in line with "legal" limits and give you a better idea of what you'll see on screen.

Hope this helps!

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.