PDA

View Full Version : Dual 2 gig MP rig or a Pentium 4 2.53GHz for Max or Maya

Virtuoso
05-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Ok.........I am looking into getting a Dual 2 gig MP rig or a Pentium 4 2.53GHz...........

I need this for Max and Maya. Which is faster and will give me the best overall performance with Max and maya.

I don't need to know about the differences inbetween the two with other applications, games,etc,etc... just the differences inbetween Max and Maya with the two processors.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions........

:)

jscott
05-07-2002, 01:23 AM
If you are comparing a Dual AMD to a single P-IV I would get the Dual AMD.

If you are comparing Dual AMD to Dual P-IV I would again get the Dual AMD.

Especially for rendering the AMD processors seem to hold their own against Pentiums and they are cheaper by far when considering a dual configuration.

-jscott

Sieb
05-07-2002, 01:30 AM
I would go with the dual MPs, you can allocate processor threads to each, like rendering to one, and Maya itself to the other or load balance between them. Then you can work while rendering and not notice. And dual MPs probably equal the same cost in the end as a sincel PIV system. Not to mention Nvidia cards now favor AMD procs.

sarcastor
05-07-2002, 02:26 AM
in terms of rendering, dual athlons have consistently outperform dual pentium xeons.

check the numbers here:

http://www.highend3d.com/tests/maya/testcenter/

dual athlon 1900 will render just the same as dual xeon 2.0. although that is only one test and real world performance will vary....

FortUno
05-07-2002, 06:48 PM
I am building a new computer sometime soon, and I too am going to be getting dual MP's. I spend a lot of time at the 2CPU (http://forums.2cpu.com/) forums. (I'm Lord Twilight there too.) :)

iC4
05-08-2002, 07:04 PM
the new pentiums (2ghz +) are much faster in rendering than athlons

but I think the dual system will be faster

Nando
05-08-2002, 08:27 PM
We did a renderfarm test with Max 4.2. The Farm consisted of 1 P4 2.0, Dual p3 1gig, Dual Xeons 1.8, Dual Athlon MP 1800+.
The Athlon rendered 2 1/2 times faster than the Xeon machine, P4, and P3.
The New P4's have a faster frontside bus 533mhz, which might yield a better performance than AMD MPS's, but it doesn't seem like a huge amount for the price of the chips.

AnandTech has a pretty good article on the new chip with Lightwave, Max, and Maya Benchmarks, pretty cool :cool:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1615

zen
05-08-2002, 08:33 PM
quote:"[...] I need this for Max and Maya. Which is faster and will give me the best overall performance with Max and maya.[...]"

Dude, your wasting your cash on the "i have it first" tax. a 1.4-1.6 gig will give you great performance for your buck. And youll have more money to spend on a better gfx board and more RAM.
For the same budget you are suggesting with these setups, you can build a decent AMD/Nvidia workstation AND a second box to render while you work!.
Anyways, its your wallet. thats just my 2 cents.:shrug:

ZrO-1
05-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Well for one thing, the Pentium4's don't run in a dual config. Only the Xeons can run dual, and I haven't heard that they made the switch to 533 FSB. One other consideration: The only way you could justify the change in the FSB speeds is if you go with a mobo that supports the new PC1000 RAMBUS. The older PC800 RAMBUS or PC2100 DDR SDRAM don't take any advantage of the faster FSB, and the only two mobo chipsets I have read about (Sis 645 and Intel 850E) only support DDR SDRAM. The result, if you go with the 533 FSB and a slower mobo/ram config, would be little to no speed improovement. But...since there isn't even a dual Xeon 533 CPU/mobo or available PC1000 RAMBUS this point is moot.

So long post short; go with the dual Athlons, and spend the extra grand you save on a good Quadro4 900XGL.

liquidhalf
05-09-2002, 12:51 AM
Save your money... buy TWO cheaper (but still good) systems... and a REALLY good Video Card.. use 1 to work.. and the other to render on. :p

3DMadness
05-09-2002, 01:00 AM
My vote goes to dual Athlon MP as fast as you can get and a Quadro4 900XGL. :)
Check www.alienware.com and customize a good Athlon and a see what you can do with the same money on an Intel. ;)
Cheers!

Flávio

MadMax
05-09-2002, 02:31 AM
Dual Athlon is most definitely the way to go........

Virtuoso
05-09-2002, 04:34 AM
Well thanks very much to all of you for your expertise, real nice of you to help me out, I just never could get much into the hardware thing, even though I know it's vital. I just want to do my ART.........;) :)

I already have a 2 Gig XP with a Quadro4 900XGL and 2 gigs of memory, and a 1.3 thunderbird with a Ge-force 4 4600 and 1 gig of memory............ But will be getting a dual 2 gig MP rig and 2 gigs of ram, with plans to upgrade that with the up-coming t-breds dual MP set up later this year..........

I need all the power possible to pull off what I have been working on. A major set with tons of polys.........too many to count anymore, details on that later when I finally can un-veil the beast of a set...........;) :)

Thanks for the great advice and assurance I needed to make the right descision.........:beer: :)

MadMax
05-09-2002, 05:50 AM
Just so you know, the Thoroughbred processors are shipping the first week of June.

And that was confirmed by AMD.

iC4
05-09-2002, 10:47 AM
http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/02q2/020402/p4_2400-13.html

a single P4 is much faster

http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/02q1/020314/dual-08.html

but if you want a dual system i would take the athlons

MadMax
05-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by iC4-
http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/02q2/020402/p4_2400-13.html

a single P4 is much faster

http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/02q1/020314/dual-08.html

but if you want a dual system i would take the athlons

That is the problem when you read sloppy hack sites like Tom's Hardware. The "benchmark" they used for that was Radiosity, and it was used because that portion of Lightwave was designed to take advantage of the SSE2 instruction in the P4, and it is the only benchmark in Lightwave that Intel can use to make itself look good.

In current benchmarks out there on the web, Intel ONLY uses those that are optimized for SSE2 so they can give the false impression of being faster. Fact is, with the exception of Intel sponsored benchmark programs, most software doesn't use SSE2. If you goal is to do nothing but run benchmarks, then I guess the P4 is fine.

Photoshop does, but the differences are minimal in speed at best. Lightwave does, and there is a noticable difference in times for Radiosity, but ask around and you'll find that radiosity is not something people use a lot.

3DMadness
05-09-2002, 06:14 PM
I agree MadMax!!
Tom's Hardware is not a reliable source of information for a professional software like those we use. Actualy, I don't think they are good for anything, just to put some nice pictures of new hardware :D
For those who believe in those benchmarks, read this:
http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2002/05/020507_Believable_Benchmark/020507_Believable_Benchmark.htm

Virtuoso: I suggest you talk to someone at www.boxxtech.com they make on of the best dual Athlon MP workstation in the market. I also like www.alienware.com :)
If you're going to the DIY, I recommend an ASUS A7M266-D, 2 sticks of 1gig DDR PC2100 Registered ECC at www.mushkin.com and a powefull PSU like Enermax or Antec.
Also, put a nice heatsink and fan, I recommend a Thermalright AX-7 and Enermax or YSTECH 80mm adjustable rpm fans, you can keep you system coold and really quiet. :)
If you need any other information, just ask!
Cheers! :beer:

3D Madness

ZrO-1
05-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 3DMadness
...If you're going to the DIY, I recommend an ASUS A7M266-D, 2 sticks of 1gig DDR PC2100 Registered ECC at www.mushkin.com and a powefull PSU like Enermax or Antec.
Also, put a nice heatsink and fan, I recommend a Thermalright AX-7 and Enermax or YSTECH 80mm adjustable rpm fans, you can keep you system coold and really quiet. :)
If you need any other information, just ask!

3D Madness

I agree 3DMadness except I'd go with the Tyan Thunder K7x, it's a second generation MPX board. It seems to be set up better for pro work than the first gen MPX boards. Plus, it has a TON of sweet features.

Virtuoso
05-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Wow are you guys helpful................Thanks a million.

Well here is the plan so far...........

Dual 2 Gig Mp's with a touch of overclocking ( It just never is enough huh......;) )....... 2 sticks of 1gig each DDR PC2100 Registered ECC from Corsair.............Unless of course 3DMadness or anyone else here can say for sure 2 sticks of 1gig DDR PC2100 Registered mushkin would be a better way to go then with Corsair.................

Also as of now I think ASUS A7M266-D looks good for the MB. And the PSU I have in mind is Enermax 550 Watts. And on 3DMadness's advice will be going with Enermax 80mm adjustable rpm fans............

Plus a NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL 128MB DDR.........

later in the year I'll go with the dual 2.4(Pro rated) or whatever is availbale from the T-breds as an upgrade to the 2Dual 2 gigs I'll get now. God never enough power.........but this just may let me pull off the current project I am doing.
:beer:

Again I want to say thanks very much for all of your advice and great knowledge, it really is appreaciated. This hardware challenged artist sure is grateful for all of your comments.

:thumbsup: :beer: :)

zen
05-10-2002, 04:22 AM
people like you who needlessly buy bleeding edge gear to support their bad habbit of poor ressource management drives prices down on good gear for guys like me.

just wanted to say thanks and keep it up!:thumbsup:

Virtuoso
05-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Your welcome Zen....................Glad I could help you out. I think by years end I'll be getting a Dual 3 gig system or so, sweet huh? And the best part is I'll be helping you out, Wow it's cool having cash to burn, but now I hear how much it helps those in a bit of need and I feel even better..........;) :beer:

You know you are right.............I do have bad spending habits, I just like the best, real problem,.............not poor resource management however, you should see the design layouts of my current project, you would be proud Zen master, wrong there Zen , but.................... Perfection yes perfection that is my downfall. I just got these massive sets and intricate characters with total in-depth detail that just requires that extra power............go figure. I just can't stand the "cookie cutter" work, real crime on my part, the blase one character and 1 building kiss of death, been there done that stuff, I need both size in scale of my work and in-depth intricate detail along with it, it's a curse, think big be big, but do it in style and heavy on the details, just cannot stand the cookie cutter art that you get with systems with less than adequate power, I dare to dream for more Zen, I dare to stand out, yes that is my curse. If you want to dance you got to pay the band Zen, if not well there in lyes the real problem ;)

Oh sure................fine work can be had with all levels of hardware, beautiful work even. But when you get into extra large intricate and very detailed work with tons of models as I have you just need that power, ............you know Zen, did you know that Zen, no way around it. ;) :)

Anyways I got your message loud and clear Zen, and just want to say I am glad to be helping you out with some of your let's call them........................... financial obstacles, for want of a better term................Zen you know, I think I'll get another 40 gigs added to my Western Digital Hardrive, make that 120 now instead with 8 megs instead of 2. There I go again spending unwisely, I mean if I took your advice why would anyone need better products, what a waste, what overkill who needs better products huh Zen, because I could just get them cheaper, not as good but cheaper, well you get what you pay for, so I think i'll pay, ...........But at least I am making it better for you ZEN, there's always one like you in the crowd in need of assistence, now things will be cheaper for you..................cool huh. Back to the "LABORATORY in Malibu Beach, cheer up Zen, I'll spend more and things will get better for you..........";) :beer:

zen
05-10-2002, 02:09 PM
um.... yeah.
:beer: :rolleyes:

3DMadness
05-10-2002, 05:02 PM
I can't say Mushkin would be a better way to go, they are in pair with Corsair in memory quality... specially those Registered ECC that need to have top quality chips.
But, IMHO, Mushkin got the best support and the top quality chips in the market.
But it's just my opinion... :rolleyes:

BTW, what do you do with your "old" equipment?? I was thinking about something... dual Athlon need ECC Registered rams... maybe you could have an "old" Pc2100 DDR unbuferred stick laying around there... then you could send it to me! :wavey: LOL

3D Madness

Virtuoso
05-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Hey Zen...........Those beers look good. I hope they are cold, if not tell the bartender I'll give him double to chill them for us.............You get what you pay for.............huh. ;) :beer:

3D Madness................thanks again. I would love to send you that extra stick or two but.......................There always is a but is'nt there. I still need whatever I can get for my 2 Gig XP my extra machine.

Just want to say to you thanks very much for your solid advice, I appreaciate very much.:)

3DMadness
05-11-2002, 01:54 AM
Uh... ok... but most motherboards have 3 or 4 banks for memory. And those with 4 banks you will need to fill with registered rams, ok? Then maybe you will have an unbuffered stick laying around... LOL!! :D
Anyway, I'm glad you appreciate my help! Maybe we can have a beer when I go there.... uh... where are you from?? :)

Flávio

Virtuoso
05-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Well right now I am in Malibu Beach California. But as of this Fall I will be spending about 8 months of the year in Europe, mostly Belgium and then cruising the continent from the fjords of Norway down to the southern Islands of Greece and every great spot inbetween. And then Malibu back in Cali for 4 months or so........it's a nice fit for me.

I'll see about some extra Ram laying around from one of my Brothers Rigs. See you around the Forums.:) :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.