PDA

View Full Version : Photo-Composition: BMW 7 Series

loocas
07-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Ok guys... I start this new thread, because this render is radically different from my previous renders here in "finished work gallery".

I've just finished that promised composition into real photography and I am very satisfied with the result... Whole composition took me almost 14 days from the scratch to this picture...

I remodeled the most important elements seen in photo because of reflections seen on car surface. Textured, lit and t-baked the comosition area and then add BMW and lit it differently (this is very big difference in cg lighting and natural lightihng...!).

Ok, stop driveling and here it is:

http://www.duber.cz/source_files/hi-res_images/bmw7composition.jpg

I hope you'll like it and add MORE comments than you added to my previous thread! :thumbsup:

Wetatron
07-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Ok, let me try to point out the parts I think can be improved:

1: The headlights, they are a deal breaker imo, seems almost like you forgot to texture them. Also the blinkers doesn't look like shiny plastic blinkers..

2: The lower part of the front bumper (grey), it looks more like stone than anything else.

3: Altho' I'm not quite sure, the fog lights look like they're for a lot cheaper car than the BMW 7-series, am I wrong? =/

4: I think the hood of the car should look a little smoother, might be grain, the reflections or jpeg-compression that causes it.. not sure..

Otherwise, great model and composition! Way better than I could do..

loocas
07-10-2003, 11:06 PM
To Wetatron: Well, I know about those headlights: but believe me: I've been trying to figure them out in right way for almost a month! And I see it's still not perfect... :shrug:

Other comments: I really appreciate your opinions, perceptions and critics but you know those things are way of subjective perceiving... and I thought that it looks real, but others can thing it doesn't... I can't do anything more, this was my result and I'm really happy for it. And if I can say, it's much way better than my last composition :)

But as I said: I appreciate your comments and will keep them on my mind in my future projects!

Thank you! :love:

wedge
07-11-2003, 12:00 AM
lower the front more, it looks like the angle on the car is less than the angle of the ramp. and you could also do with a more interesting color.

loocas
07-11-2003, 12:18 AM
To wegddes: Yes I could, but I didn't ;)

And the angle is right... it might seen so? but I can do nothing more for this :hmm:

Thanks for crits :thumbsup:

Washek
07-11-2003, 03:47 AM
It's is't perfect (headlights, blinkers) but all through its really good. Better than your last lego :) composition :buttrock:

chase311
07-11-2003, 05:18 AM
5 out of 10

loocas
07-11-2003, 07:47 AM
To chase311: Only half? Well, don't understand... everbody was BLOWN UP from Ribin's BMW and this is not as good? Ok, it's your opinion :)

To Washek: THX man :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
07-11-2003, 09:35 AM
You could improve your pic easily, the reflection on the top of the car are not stronger enough compared to the overexposure of the background picture (some dodge color tool in photoshop). The car wheels are too much reflective and distract the eye too much. Some dodge on the headlight will make them better. You can paint bottom parts of the car with the blue of the ground in soft light mode, and make the front of the car a little brighter. Some glow and a little filter grain after adjusting the level and i think that you will have a better pic :)
Otherwise this is a very good job :thumbsup:, it's only need a little more work I'have made the modification i was speaking about, if you want i can mail you the file :)

Sorry again for my poor english

loocas
07-11-2003, 02:52 PM
To Kel Solaar: Wow, that was exhausting!! But very cool tips! Ok, am very curious about the modifications you did, so please be so kind as to send it to me :thumbsup:

THANK YOU!

loocas
07-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Common guys! Why don't you add more comments to this thread? I'd like (for example) to know what did I do wrong unlike (previously named) Ribin? Because I can't see any mistakes after too much time spent doing this! It really took very long time to be done and I just want to know, what are you thinking of it! :shrug:

COMMON! :annoyed:

jdevin
07-13-2003, 01:31 AM
Windshield wipers?
I like the reflections in the window.

loocas
07-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Hey, thanks! ;)

Ok, as to explain those reflections (because many people think it's only sphericaly mapped HDRi I took of place where the bmw is posed..., but it's NOT) See those two pictures:

http://duber.meeen.net/dump/bmw/composition_scene.jpg

http://duber.meeen.net/dump/bmw/composition_materials.jpg

These were two tests of reflections on bmw's surface...

The Cross
07-13-2003, 01:43 PM
It takes a trained eye to spot out these kind of imperfections. Like everyone else here i see them as well. On the other hand i too think this render is special. It falls into the catagory of photo realistic effortlessly. Which is rare to see. It's not like an ordinary viewer would look at it and all of a sudden realize that what they are looking at is computer generated. And true say that's all we need.

You have a quite a nak for lighting and texturing, If i could absorb that from you i would, leaving you with whatever you had before you became a digital artist.

loocas
07-13-2003, 03:06 PM
To The Cross: You can't imagine how GLAD I AM hearing this!!! :love: :thumbsup: I know about mistakes and I will keep improving my skills! And VERY BIG THANK to you! :wavey:

netlogic
07-16-2003, 05:24 AM
few give aways thats its CG, those rims are too shinny. 2, its pretty clean! add some dirt and it will look ALOT better. Also the color should be changed, if it was something darker like this color blue
http://bmwusa.com/site_layout/models/0374/0374_mdlPage.cfm
the reflections would look nicer. Great model! :beer:

SimonReeves
07-16-2003, 12:55 PM
right
I think...

the floor has a weird bump on it?
The car overall definetly needs more contrast, particuly where it would be reflecting outside the thing it is under, as you can see behind it its very bright

i agree the rims are too reflective maybe :/
and the indicators could do with being destaturted methinks

:thumbsup:

loocas
07-21-2003, 08:21 PM
To reeves1984: What bump? Only BMW is CG! ;-) Anyways thanks! :beer:

To netlogic: What a cool blue color!! Will definately use it in my final rendering! :buttrock:

singleguy
07-23-2003, 04:37 PM
yeah.. somethings not rite here, but all the things thats imperfect has been pointed out. So, i guess 6/10 for the effort put on this fabulous work. Hope to see another improved version of this. Why not try black (just an opinion though):applause:

loocas
09-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Oh... well, I'll maybe try it ;-) Thanks

Wolf-R
09-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Hy loocas !

I think the proportion of the car looks at this image a little bit like the 3 series. i think the car should be a more massive apperance. ;-)

grettings from vienna
Roland

steadi
09-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Looks real good, but (and this is nitpicking) I feel that its missing some specularity.
You might want to add a specular higlight just to give it some more definition.
Maybe a slightly blue-ish light from above-behind-right the car to give the top and side some contrast
Also, when I look at the car's shadow and compare it to, say, the rocks on the left it feels that the car shadow is a little too grainy and doesn't 'lock-on' to the wheels completely (especially noticeable in the back).
Did you use GI or normal lights?
Also, what soft did you use?
Other then those things (and again, it's nitpicking) it's a great job.
Love the modelling, although I'm not such a big BMW fan
:p
Peace, R.

furo
09-23-2003, 08:01 PM
nice goin' shaggy;).. yeah.. i like your BMW.. what do you think about my zOOm project...?;)..

loocas
09-24-2003, 02:50 AM
To steadi: Well, thank you for your comments and to my defence: the car stands in the parking place, so deeper definition of its surface was achieved using some lights without specularity, but there's one light with speculars on, but it's almost innoticable.

Althought thank you very much man!!! :buttrock:

To furo: HEY PAL!!! How is it going? I'll have a look at your project now!!! and will give you response as soon as possible!!!! :beer:

Wolf-R: Well the proportions were well discused theme, but to my defence again: the proportions are right, according to blueprints 1:1! so it might be because of the camera angle, anyways, this car park place is pretty big in lenght. But thanks for crits :)

Duffman
09-24-2003, 08:05 AM
not bad loocas, not bad at all.

It doesn't strike me as photorealistic quite yet though. There certainly are imperfections, or more accurately, there are too many perfections, to call this one realistic.

By that I mean the car itself is far too clean. Even a new car has some sort of water spots (which should be found in this scene especially, as it looks like it rained recently here), buffer marks, a little dirt near the bottom of the car, etc.

The car itself looks like it should be a little wider as well, although that may just be the awkward angle you chose for this scene.

All in all, it's very well done, just needs a few more touches to be perfect... or imperfect.

Cheers! :beer:

Wolf-R
09-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Hy loocas

I donīt know the exactly right size of your License Plate, but is it a little bit to big ?? Probably this fools my eyes of the proportions. ??

is it possiple ?

i forgot to say : great work " ;)

Greetings from vienna
Roland

onscreen
09-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Loocas!

you have done a great job. I dont think it is good to compare your work and Ribin's one. You have a good style of composition there. The headlights.. well, need some correction, the foglight need a thicker border.

You have do your best. The result is really really impressive. Just have self confidence.:wavey:

loocas
09-25-2003, 12:31 AM
To onscreen: oks... thank you man!! :)

To Wolf-R: Well this is the same problem as to the proportions of the car... the Registration Mark was also 1:1 modeled... :shrug:

To Duffman: Diky kamo, pro priste si beru ponauceni ze svych chyb! (hope you understood: thanx man, I'll take an advices for further projects) :)

Oks, so thanx again and cheers... :beer:

emilioG
09-25-2003, 02:09 AM
Some of these comments aree pretty good. Here's mine:

BMW 7 series are wider (scale in X) or lower (scale in Y)

the 3 series look like this as far as proportions go
5's are a bit wider
7 are widest.

Right now the proportions are of a 323.
Hope it helps.
;)

loocas
09-25-2003, 02:38 AM
To emilionG: Well, I've been told many times about the incorrect props, but I don't understand why, because I modeled everything from blueprints I scanned from BMW 7 Series saloon catalogue... :shrug: Maybe it does the camera I took background picture with... and then reconstructed camera in 3d space... :shrug:

Really don't know, but I'm sure the proportions are right.

But thank you for your time spent writing me your crit :wavey:

link84
09-25-2003, 04:00 AM
the 7 series is the full sized line from BMW it looks like a a bug its to squished

emilioG
09-25-2003, 04:21 AM
then it's gotta be the cam buddy ;)

nice work.

loocas
09-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Yepp, definitely!!! ;) :p

SKippyMcHaggis
09-25-2003, 05:30 AM
great start!

but i have to agree on the scaling issue. Looking at it, the garage space is too large, which makes the car seem tiny. either scale up the car (especially to be wider) or scale down the surroundings.

if that hose on the wall is supposedto be in the middle of the car (front to back), basically in line with the B pillar, it is definately too large. since it funtions as a scaling reference, the top part of the hose should be roughly lined up with the bottom of the window sill on the 7. right now it looks to be roughly 6 inches too high.

the reflection in the windshield is awesome, but it feels like it is too spherical. as wide as that car is in real life, it feels like that should be a flatter reflection. again, that could be a consequence of the scaling with the environment. i'd try to nail the size of the car, before changing any of the reflections.

i also have to agree that it seems to be sitting at too flat an angle on the ground. that floor seems to be more of a slope. when you adjust the alignment to the floor, you might also think about whether or not it's enough of an angle to cause the suspension in the front to load up a little bit, thereby lowering the front end even a little bit more.

and maybe add a little bit of dust on the floor, or darken up the concrete blocks on the wall on the right. i could eat off that floor it's so clean looking.

one more little nit-pick, the front license plate feels too close to the front bumper. it also feels like it's not exactly flat. maybe show us the screws they used to attach it to the front bumper, too.

but really, it's a really awesome start. i can't model or skin that well yet. one thing i have learned in all my various art classes has been to over-analyse the relative locations of objects and to find little reference points for yourself when you're working in a 3 dimensional space.

i can't wait to see an updated version.
Skip

Duffman
09-25-2003, 05:56 AM
Of course man, I understood every word ;)

I bet your next project will turn out amazing, a project like this gives you the experience you can't gain from books and tutorials. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next :cool:

DragomanJK
09-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Easy way to tell your proportion is wrong (Or right), count the bricks on the floor. The wheelbase(front tire to back tire) is 22 bricks give or take 1. The wheelbase of the car is 118in, therefore each brick is 5.36in long... or they aren't. measure your bricks, adjust accordingly. Am I right?

The only problem I have with it is that you ask people for there comments and tell them they are wrong... mho

loocas
09-29-2003, 02:39 AM
To SKippyMcHaggis: Your crits deserve BIG APPLAUSE :applause: because it is breathtaking! Thank you man! I really appreciate it! :eek:

To Duffman: YOU BET! ;-)

To DragomanJK: Your logic also makes sense! Thank you... And one thing: I've never said anybody's wrong with theyr opinions/crits! I just say (to my defense) that proportions should be correct when modeled according to blueprints?! No?

Thanks guys (especially to SKippyMcHaggis) :buttrock:

Duffman
09-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Actually loocas, about the cars dimension, I do agree that they seem a little off, the car should be wider I think. Then again, because of the angle you have chosen, it's difficult to tell the length of the car, which can throw off the perception of the width.

Now about blueprints, that's a big misconception that a model will always be accurate when done according to blueprints.... suppose the blueprints you are using are inaccurate? :hmm:

Some of the blueprints you'll find are scanned in from scale model kits (the plastic ones you can build). The decal instructions are usually scanned in as blueprints, when in reality they aren't drawn to scale, they only serve to show where decals (or paint colors) go on the model.

Anyway, just something to think about, be careful when choosing your blueprints. :)

loocas
09-30-2003, 02:57 AM
To Duffman: Well, one would expect the blueprints to be acurate when scanned in from official BMW 7 Series Saloon brochure (it has more than 200 pics of the vehicle and also very detailed blueprints.)?! But, I may be naive? :shrug:

Cheers ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.