PDA

View Full Version : Alice In Chains

mental
07-10-2003, 10:30 PM
heya forum folk,

i've been racking my brain with this particular setup and i was hoping that you guys could give me some advice.

i've setup a large rigidbody platform which is to be suspended from the ceiling with 'chains'. because i'm short on time and resources these chains are made up of a series of active rigidbody cubes that have been pin constrained together. the chains won't be seen but they need to act and react in concert with the platform.

my problem is that i can't figure out a way to connect the chains to the platform (one chain for each of the 6 corners) by using only dynamic constraints such as pin or hinge. i could connect the chains to the platform but they will only solve from the object's (platform) center instead of the individual corners.

any suggestions?

thank you very much!
-mental :surprised

Jozvex
07-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Connecting the platform to the chains with Pin Constraints should work fine. After you create each Pin, just move it to the right corner, then it will affect the platform correctly.

I made a scene with a platform and chains to test it, and it worked great!

mental
07-11-2003, 02:07 AM
mucho gracias seņor Jozvex :thumbsup:

it didn't occur to me that you could move a constraint like that.

thanks again
-mental :surprised

Kabab
07-14-2003, 02:58 AM
I found with lots of chain links the simulation grinds to a halt (10+) links... Try using cloth gives you very nice movement and is much faster to compute.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.