PDA

View Full Version : Sick of crappy looking video!!

swingrays
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
It seems no matter what I do I end up with grainy crappy looking comps! I'll tell ya my workflow and you tell me what the frig I'm doing wrong....

I shoot video and rip it onto my PC using Premier or Sorensen Squeeze. In Premier I'll edit my video. sequence it, whatever. Then I'll export it as an uncompressed AVI so I can tweak it in After Effects. Usually by this time it sucks. Then i'll render out in AE and end up with a crap product.

Help! Where am I going wrong. Why do I end up with mega gigs of video that even Sorensen wn't squeeze???!!!

swing

OrchidFace
04-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Obviously if it doesn't look crap in premiere and it suddenly looks crap in AE then your render setting in premiere are crap. Consider rendering all your single shot or short intermediates in JPEG or TGA image sequences.

swingrays
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Geeesh I'm an idiot. I never even realized that I can open a Premier project in After Effects and not have to render a thing. AND vice versa.

swing

Makaze
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
As soon as I get the footage off the camera, I only work on it as TGA or TIFF sequence. You should probably stay away from JPEG, its a lossy compression. But yeah, I'd suggest working on lossless imagesequences. Then you shouldn't have any major problems.

DoubleSupercool
04-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Yarp. You are shooting DV (compressed), ripping it to PC with Sorenson (compressed again) and outputting an AVI (compressed a 3rd time). By the time you start working on it it probably looks like some Campbells cream of mushroom tipped onto the floor!

Convert from the DV and then render as uncompressed image sequences (TIF, TGA).

Also make sure to turn off any "edge enhancement" or "sharpening" filters on your camera as they do weird things to the edges of objects that make VFX very, very painful.

NB. Uncompressed footage will be big, no way around that.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2009, 05:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.