PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Van WIP and Spec map question

ToddD
05-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi guys, here's the latest scanline render of my van project. My problem is, that the grey area+tan area are supposed to be dull. I have a spec map in the specular level slot, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. It's my first time using Spec map, so any info or help would be appreciated.http://www.subwayz.net/upload/vannew1.jpg

I know the clouds are cheesy, The cloud map is a temporary thing, the finish will be a HDRI Final render image.

Antilles
05-07-2002, 12:50 AM
post your spec map i guess, then let someone more experienced than me answer you ;)

ToddD
05-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Hey Antilles, I got some information at 1 of the other forums I go to(from a very experienced maxxer), spec maps aren't the best way, I'm told I should make a seperate mat for those areas. If anyone has any other ideas please post.

tpe
05-07-2002, 06:39 AM
Hi. Looks like you have a raytrace map applied to you model. To make parts of your van dull you need to mask thse places using a mask map type. The same should be done for your spec map. Hope this helps:)

Waqas

leigh
05-07-2002, 08:23 AM
Post an image of your spec map :bounce: :bounce:

ToddD
05-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Here's the Spec map, it's a little extreme right now,I figured alot of contrast would show me if it worked properly. The pic I posted, has a larger version of this pic in the spec level slot. Also, the mat has blur's "highlight only" mat as a sub mat, I tried using the same mat in the spec slot of that mat as well. Sounds like TPE's advice might help, hadn't thought of that, any tips on masking?

http://www.subwayz.net/upload/specpost1.jpg

tpe
05-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi tpe hear, sorry i dont know anything about max but Waqas (it was him using my nic abocve) who sits next to me at work is a bit of a guru, and he says that you should be able to use your 8 bit specularity map directly as a mask map.

If it were lightwave i would say that your specularity channel was just not showing or that the rflections are just so strong that you are not getting any specularity efect, is it possible to use your spec map in the reflection channel too?

It may help if you post a screenshot of your material editor.

ToddD
05-08-2002, 05:42 PM
Ok, so I've been doing some testing on a primitive sphere, I do have a question. When I use a mask, I am able to put a colored square on the sphere while the underlying color shows around the square, that's not the probem. The problem is that the masked square adopts the surface qualities of the base material. So, when I have this shiny sphere, the square masked onto it is shiny, I need it to be dull. Someone please help, I want to move on with this project I'm getting nowhere right now.

Joel Hooks
05-08-2002, 06:35 PM
You need to mask Diffuse, Specularity, and Reflect :

ToddD
05-08-2002, 07:08 PM
:bounce: Thank you lowdown, finally got the answer I've been hoping for!:bounce: Thank you a million times over!:thumbsup:

ToddD
05-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, still have to add some dull spots and water stains to the map, but the primer area is finally duller than the rest thanks to Lowdown. The rear doors are part of a seperate map, so they are still shiny, next update I'll have that fixed. Thanks again for the help, here it is:

http://www.subwayz.net/upload/vanrustytest-24.jpg :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.