PDA

View Full Version : Required reading and Laptops for self teaching?

EDouble
04-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey, long time lurker, finally registered. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but i was wondering what are the main books i should read in order to become proficient in 3D animation programs, and what is the best laptop to get that runs all the major programs successfully?
Thx for your time.

Kanga
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi Erick!
Welcome to cgtalk.
I moved your thread to the education section. You will have a better chance of getting responses here.

Cheerio Chris

DanielWray
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
First thing's first, how much experience do you have with animation? If you're starting from the begining then i highly recommend "The animators survival kit" follow this up with a few books on life drawing and books that cover how to correctly portray mass in drawings (sorry i cant give any links for these, but they do exist).

Once you choose the application that your most comfortable with/ have at hand then go and purchase a book that deals with the animation tools for that software, really it should cover basic modeling (pretty basic), rigging and rigging tools and finally the animation tools and the principles that the software uses, i.e. how to insert key frames and use various animation tools.

This will probably be the best way to learn, mainly becuase you wont get information about software in the animators survival kit, but you will get hundreds (thousands?) of examples of how to correctly animate, from the very basic stages of planning a dope sheet, all the way to animate a dancing character and fancy walks and complex movements. And when it comes to the software books, you'll get too know all of the tools and methods of animate a model in the software package, but you wont get nearly as much information about animationg, comapared to the survival kit.

So in a nutshell, learn animation and the software seperatley, well i mean you can learn them together, but use seperate, more specific books for each part.

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.