PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience of these online schools?

Area61
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I have shortlisted two online schools to get me started into 3D modelling and animation. I have no real direction yet, but I do want to do a foundation or similar course. I would be grateful if anyone has studied online with either of these schools for an honest critique. Also if anyone has any other recommendations I would be grateful to hear them.

http://www.gnomononline.com/
http://www.3dtraining.com/

Many thanks in advance.

Kanga
04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Welcome to cgtalk Andrew!

Hope you get the info you seek.

Cheerio Chris

SubDProxy
04-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Some good schools:
Academy of Art University offers a more traditional approach. www.academyart.edu

Escape Studios offers a program that brings you right into it. www.escapestudios.com

Gnomon Online offers some great courses www.gnomon3d.com

I hope this helps you.

Junior

Roqu
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm actually wondering the same (as topic), anyone?
Specially interested in 3dtraining.com

Dmacb
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi!

I'm looking for the same answers... I've already collected a few opinions through the web, but this is the best place to ask this...

thanks in advance for any help

gilgamesh828
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I've had some very disparate experience with online education, from spectacular animation training at animationmentor.com to some really horrific experiences with "online" classes at local community colleges. The really difficult part of "online" is that you have to be very self-motivated and self-disciplined to work effectively at home, particularly if you are trying to go to school and work full-time too. It really helps to have a strong online community all working towards the same goal and also to have some sophistocated software server-side to connect people via webcams, IM, forums and if possible in group settings, live, every week. All of that really made AM work.

Recently i've been looking at Academy of Art to pursue an online MFA. A friend of mine got his BFA online there and was starting to work on his MFA. When i look at their master's level class descriptions though, i have to wonder, will i learn anything at all? Many of their classes are soooo basic and introductory given my experience level, that it's just been too hard to shell out the $2200 / per class fee. Any "advanced" 3D or animation classes are really just self-directed anyway. I guess it just comes down to whether you want the degree bad enough to shell out $76,000.

I was also looking seriously at TD-College... Their classes seem much more condensed and industry-driven, also more advanced and practical. It looks though that they've kind of abandoned the "curriculum" structure they started out with and now they just offer a few random classes every now and again. Has anyone out there taken any of their classes? I was looking at Kevin Mannen's MEL Programming class, but i have his gnomon DVD set and much of the material seems the same. Is it worth shelling out $1200 for a 6-week rehash or is the TD-College experience worth it?

Love to know.....

Area61
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Well I signed up for the 3DS Max foundation course over at http://www.3dtraining.comThe foundation course is four weeks, with weekly 4-hour online live classroom sessions and optional 2-hour labs. I have had the first live online class and participated in the 2 hour lab so far. I have to say the system works well, in last nights lab the instructor was very helpful and I learned a lot, my only bad comment is that the course is a little basic for my current skill level, but it IS the foundation course so thats expected, and it did seem right for the other students.

The objective of the course is to have the students produce photo-realistic internal architectural renders. And given some of the previous student samples that the instructor presented I have no doubt the course will do this.

I have no doubt that as the course progresses, it will easily catch up with my basic knowledge and I will be doing a lot of learning.

The foundation course is $950 including registration fee, I cant say if I think its worth it yet, but its off to a good start!

The Project based course is 12 weeks and considerably more expensive, I am holding off on that to see how the foundation course goes, but its around $3500, so its not small change.

One thing I will say, is that as a self-learner, spending some cold hard cash will get you motivated, I was up until 2AM this morning poly-modelling a damned sink for my project, and after several bad starts I managed to create a respectable model, that I know needs work, but this is a subject where you learn by doing... so I am already way more commited than I was before signing up!.

childeroland
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Would anyone recommend the Arts Institute Online?

jayweb1
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I currently attend the Art Institute Online. To be honest I had a pretty great experience there so far. The classes are fairly small and laid out really well. The courses for Media Arts and Animation range from figure drawing, motion, storyboarding, 3d modeling, 3d animation, lighting, and rendering among a lot more. 1 class takes 5.5 weeks to complete. Full time students take 2 classes per session, 1 session is 5.5 weeks. Part timers, like myself take 1 class per session as the work load can be quite extensive.

As with any school you get out of it what you put in. If you're dedicated you will be able to learn a lot. If you do your assignment last minute and just squeak by then it's probably not the best bet.

It is expensive, about $75,000 for a Bachelors degree in Media Arts and Animation and the same go for some other courses. Financial aid is available as are loan options through Sallie Mae.

If you are looking for a broad generalist type education I would recommend this school to anyone. As for myself, I am taking a different route and will be transferring to a different school that is solely focused on Character Animation.

I hope this helps!

childeroland
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
It does, thank you. May I ask, are you going to another online school? Would you recommend them generally over brick-and-mortar?

jayweb1
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Hopefully, if accepted, I will be attending another on-line school. I actually applied for Animation Mentors a couple of days ago and am still waiting to hear back on that. Online schooling really is not that bad. You just really have to dedicate yourself to do the work. Even further you have to seek out additional resources to reach full potential. This is true for "brick and mortar" schools too, it's just not told to you from the get go.

It all really depends. Personally, I'm 28 years old and have a full time job, so it works out well for me. Plus, I do not really have a decent school that is in the area for these types of programs. I say do your research and try to find the best school that fits you. It's important to have a strong demo reel or portfolio when you graduate. I've seen some impressive demo reels for modeling, lighting, and such, but some lacked the animation aspect. I did my research by seeking out jobs for animation from various companies, ie: Pixar, ILM, Blizzard....and seen that they really want animators that have strong acting and character animation. It seemed like AIO wasn't the stongest in this aspect, so I decided to switch my focus on a different school.

Good luck though. It's definitely a tough decision and but i'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

yuhang919
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I would like to see many good works and learn a lot
I like the CG graphic, animation and 3D

malevy
07-17-2009, 06:13 AM
I just finished the 4 week course at 3dtraining.com and this is my final project. I am going to take the next course which is 12 weeks. I think its a great class. I have taken other online classes from vismasters and they suck compared to this class.. Unless the class gives u a project to turn in then forget it because you will not remember anything when you try to do something. The project based classes are the only way to learn how to model properly

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/malevy/01_3DTI_CLASS_FINAL.jpg

LeahMalvina
07-20-2009, 09:12 PM
im using wings 3d as a modelling program, if i made a person on wings 3d, or any other 3d modelling program, will i be able to sonehow transfer it into an animation program and animate it?

malevy
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Look at the wings 3d product page you can import the wings models into almost any autodesk product including 3DS max and maya.. I think your post is in the wrong area though if your looking for help this is about schools not modeling specifics

im using wings 3d as a modelling program, if i made a person on wings 3d, or any other 3d modelling program, will i be able to sonehow transfer it into an animation program and animate it?

Area61
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Well by way of an update, I also completed the 3dtraining.com foundation course, and I agree with malevy, that the class is well worth the time and money. At the moment I dont intend to do the 12 week follow up course as I dont think that the content is for me, a portion of that course is dedicated to logo animation, which isnt something I want to learn at the moment, and the I cant justify the spend. Either way the course was good.

So I am now on the lookout for another project based course so that I can expand on the skills I learned with 3dtraining.com.

Malevy, did you do the 3ds Max course with Jamil?

malevy
07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes Jamil was the instructor for the 4 week course. I thought about the fact that the 12 week has nothing to do with architecture but the fundamental skills you learn as far as animation goes can be applied to your architecture models and that is why i am taking the next class. I also took classes from 3dats.com with Brian smith but its not a hands on class and although he is extremely knowledgeable in architecture modeling you do not retain the info because its not hands on and i was forgetting alot of it as soon as class was over. His books though are excellent and pretty much cover everything that he taught in class. There is a beginner arch, intermediate and advanced to expert (not until october 09). Have you looked at escape studios architecture video training, supposed to be very good ?

Well by way of an update, I also completed the 3dtraining.com foundation course, and I agree with malevy, that the class is well worth the time and money. At the moment I dont intend to do the 12 week follow up course as I dont think that the content is for me, a portion of that course is dedicated to logo animation, which isnt something I want to learn at the moment, and the I cant justify the spend. Either way the course was good.

So I am now on the lookout for another project based course so that I can expand on the skills I learned with 3dtraining.com.

Malevy, did you do the 3ds Max course with Jamil?

dpendleton
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I might have to jump back into the 3DTI classes. Reading from you guys experience there it is a good course to take(well I did take a few classes but life reared it's head). Jamil still teaching there?

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.