PDA

View Full Version : Character: Devilman

random667
07-10-2003, 07:41 PM
hi,
this is my first post.
here's my first attempt at making a humanoid figure.
i've only been using C4D for about a month now with no previous
3D experence.
any comments, tips, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

the full size 1600x1200 image can be seen at: http://images.deviantart.com/large/wallpaper/w3d/random_demon.jpg

thanks

BadKarma
07-10-2003, 10:38 PM
hmmm you gunna have to re-render it wiv some better setting fella... its very hard to see anything. i cant help you with the settings as im a maya mate .

Bad

wedge
07-10-2003, 11:49 PM

samize
07-11-2003, 12:10 AM
What a nasty ugly lousy compression. :surprised

Could you give a link directly to the full size image?

random667
07-11-2003, 01:23 AM
sorry thats as large as i could make it to get it to post here.
here is the link to the full size image.
http://images.deviantart.com/large/wallpaper/w3d/random_demon.jpg

Black Jesus
07-11-2003, 01:28 AM
i think you guys are being too harsh...

for somebody who has never done any 3D before in their life... i'd say this is actually pretty decent... i've seen far worse stuff from people who have been using 3D for quite some time.

i'm not a 3D person so i can't really give you any advice... but for those of you who are... i think he could use more constructive criticism besides "sorry that's not very good"

samize
07-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Ah, better. Couldn't see a thing with that compression. :p

Well... the body/hand seem fairly good. You should focus on the head first.
Did you use any reference? If didn't you should, it helps a lot, really.
And I can see a seam runing along the nose, that's easy to fix.

The texture is too reflexive. But since 'tis not human it doesn't matter that much.

And I think that the wood texture there on the handle is too small. I can see the pixels.

That's it. Keep going. :thumbsup:

Btw... a month without previous experience? Quite good indeed. I was making booleans with boxes and spheres in that time. :surprised

vlad74
07-11-2003, 02:32 AM
For beginner the model is very good. You have made quite good progress for one month. Bravo

random667
07-11-2003, 03:23 AM
thanx for the feedback!
it is very helpfull.
i didnt use anything as a reference i just started with a cube & went at it.

razzi
07-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Very good attemp....can improve more...starts modelling on new one.

chase311
07-11-2003, 05:16 AM
:thumbsdow

rob-beddall
07-11-2003, 10:06 AM
hey!!:wavey:

yep, for your first attempt that's pretty good.but i agree that you should try using reference pics.

if you want a good tutorial for poly modelling the way you did it then check out the tutorial on www.3dtotal.com . it's under tutorials/joan of arc. ( can't give you a direct link coz for some reason the address bar at the top of their site never changes)
the tutorial is written for max but can be used on any 3d software. (i've just done it in maya)

well hope that tut helps.
cheers!!

random667
07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks for the link rob.
i'll give it a try.

ahven
07-11-2003, 03:16 PM
good for beginner:lightbulb

random667
07-11-2003, 07:34 PM
thanx for all the help!
most of you actually gave me usefull information, instead of the usual (looks good, or dont like it) comments im use to getting at deviant art. :thumbsup:

SDIT
07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
hey there
First attemp? Pretty good then. As everybody said, you should get some reference and then check this webpage out:

www.thehobbitguy.com

There you will find and awesome tut on poly modelling and a pretty good explanation on what edgeloops are. You will need to get that down if you ever want to create morph targets for facial animation.

As far as your model goes, well it looks to me as if the horns (the ones on top) are floating?? Maybe it's the compression but it looks to me as if they r not attached to the head. Then the nostrils are on the face and not underneath the nose. The angle of the jawline is very sharp. And you wanna try modeling the area around the eys more. So it doesn't look as if you just slapped two spheres there. Same with your lower lip.
Again, good start. Don't forget to post wires.
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.