PDA

View Full Version : Character: bullet

Nelis
07-10-2003, 04:17 PM
this is a character i am making for a new project i am working on.
my question is what you guys think looks better.

the one with or without the glasses.
its going to be a semi-realistic comedy short. so some exegeration is possible.

feel free to comment on the model and texturing part too, lighting is not implemented yet.

software used: 3dmax 5.1
brazil

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/bullet.jpg

BiTMAP
07-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Aren't bullets brass?

JamesMK
07-10-2003, 06:02 PM
I'd go with the goggles, definitely. You should listen to BiTMAP about the material. And I feel that the scratches would look better if they were going straight down somewhat along the Y-axis.

Compared to a real bullet, I think you've got too little bullet and too much shell here, lengthwise.

lildragon
07-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
Aren't bullets brass?

Never heard of a Silver bullet? ;)

Even tho you have scratches they still look too uniform, also bumps bumps bumps :)

As for the goggles I say keep it, the bullet loses all character without them.

-lild

mefestofel
07-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Maybe it's just me but why have goggles when you don't have eyes? :shrug:

I'm not sure about how a bullet is suposed to look, but i thought that there was a casing and the cap that flys off, and the case stays in the chamber or falls to the floor.

samize
07-10-2003, 11:07 PM
*ahem*

The tip should be more rounded.

Without the glasses it doesn't look like a character at all so, stick with them.

A silver bullet needs only the projectile to be silver... but could be all silver anyway, so doesn't matter that much.

I agree that the scratches should go along the vertical axis. Or maybe they could just be more random. :surprised

That strap in the side of the glasses is benting quite weirdly. It should turn upon itself, I think.

Well, that's all I could criticize. :thumbsup:

wedge
07-10-2003, 11:07 PM
if you're going to keep the glasses, do something with the straps. they just don't fall like that in real life.... they won't curve like that, they'll fall away from his head.

Nelis
07-10-2003, 11:44 PM
here is an little update, made the scratches go vertical,

first off all thnx for the reply's.... this forum really helps...

i know that bullets arent supposed to look like this and there are more than a few out there on the world.. i just thought it would have more character, and i liked the shape....

about the strap... they are indeed a bit strange and are not finished yet. i want them animated so i am still thinking how i could do it. with flex maybe but than it would go through the bullet. or with simcloth, but i still have to test that out.. suggestions???

by the way changed the right bullet texture with the old one on the left......

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/bullet2.jpg

Nelis
07-12-2003, 01:36 PM
please help.......
ive made an rocket, and i want to animate with the bend modefier. but there is some serious deformation in the wrong way, could somebody please help me out here because i am losing my mind here.

software using: 3dmax 5.1

pic.... as you can see, the cylinder deforms good, but the rocket only moves his tip and well just #$^@^$..... it needs to be the same as the cylinder

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/weird.jpg

Marcel
07-12-2003, 04:21 PM
You have probably used a non-uniform sacle on your object somewhere in the modelling process. This makes the gizmos behave a bit oddly.
Use the 'Reset XForm' function (Utilities->More->Reset XForm) to reset the object, after that it should work correctly again.

Maybe you should use bones to animate your model? It would give you much more control...

d8ed
07-15-2003, 07:39 AM
i realize you wanna give this bullet some character but at this point.. it's not recognizable as a bullet at all. the shell casing and the bullet itself really shouldnt be the same material and the bullet is usually longer. when i say bullet i dont mean the whole thing but the actual bullet. i would seriously reconsider making the casing brass like someone suggested earlier. also casings dont taper in like that but are completely straight.

also your material looks like fiberglass at this point and not metal.

it's good to add character to models but you also want your audience to realize what they're looking at. and to do it quickly and not have to guess at what this thing is.

Nelis
07-15-2003, 08:24 AM
thnx for the kind reply,

i think that this is my interpretation of a bullet. came straight out of my head, and i think in combination with animation it will not be that bad..

il keep your advice in mind but for the time being i wont change the bullets. maybe this evening some pics of the rocket.

thnx anyway...

davidSingha
07-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Yeah I have to agree w/ d8ed. It doesn't look like a bullet at all. I generally don't like to redesign someone elses work b/c I don't know the function or the context of the applications. But if you want to make it more realistic maybe you can extent the tip or make it a hollow point bullet. The casing has a slight curve to it. This is wrong b/c a bulge like this would cause the gun to jam. Changing the shader will also help. I do like the glasses.

goodluck!
:cool:

}-{obbes
07-28-2003, 05:05 AM
For the bullet, the goggles on the casing dont really make sense, its not the best place for the character's face. Make the actual bullet longer and a bit more rounded (9mm round i'm guessing). I think you should have the character the actual bullet instead of the casing. Like the character is "shoved" into the casing with like a nose and eyes poking out (a little stretched, like its trying to get out). That plays out better than something with goggles on the side of the part of the object that doesn't actually get fired.
Gotta make the bullets a seperate piece, and thus a seperate texture.
As for the scratches, you can have them any direction you feel looks better, its your opinion that matters on that one, cause they could have just been produced different from the other method etc etc.
You really should concentrate on the actual character modeling before the textures. I know it may look pretty, but its better to have the shape like you want it BEFORE making it render pretty, especially cause some shape changes could definatly alter whatever texture you apply before hand then youd have to redo it.
Lastly, if thats pretty much THE shape you're goin for, thats not a character. Goggles can't make a bullet a character alone (unless its animated and other stuff will pop out eventually).

Eman597
07-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Nelis, I really suggest you listen to us when we say you need to change the geometry of your bullet. If you say "i think that this is my interpretation of a bullet. came straight out of my head," that doesnt mean that because you think its a bullet everyone else does. To be honest with you, that looks a whole lot more like the end of a ballpoint pen than a bullet. Why? Cause its completely wrong as far as setup. Take a look at this picture and change your model to fit it, its an actual bullet, not what some guy dreamt up. Its your model, so if you choose to ignore sound advice go for it, but we are really trying to help you out here, you should listen.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/machine-gun-bullet.gif

kerosene
07-29-2003, 05:22 PM
didn't reas every one of the replys but

- horizontal scratches are more correct (i suppose they came in the manufacturing)

- the metal shading in the actual bullit tip is off. looks like plastic.

- I wouldn't use raytrace reflections go for refl maps and you'll have better control to the glossiness (you can blur the map)

- also the metal shading in the "usually brass" part (the shell) is off. Turn reflection down, soften the reflection by using a map and play with the highlight. I would use certainly spec map (scratches). You might want to try the multi layer shading so that you have two higlights to play with.

- Make the scratches smaller

- if you end up using bump be carefull to have it very subtle

Look for more reference. If this is you main character you want it to look good.

heikki

http://www.buffalobore.com/images/475-9mm.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.