PDA

View Full Version : What Lies Beneath - VFX Challenge - Selim & azazel

azazel
07-10-2003, 01:46 PM
edit:
final movie:

AVI (http://sykut.pp.com.pl/finalmovie.avi)
MOV (http://sykut.pp.com.pl/finalmovie.mov)

We are late this time, but we have already done some work, and hopefully we'll manage to do it on time (or at least most of it).

Here is our location:

http://sykut.pp.com.pl/location.jpg

Story:
Person enters this corridor, switches on the light, and sees that far end is frozen, covered with ice, frost and such. Seconds later freeze rushes towards our poor actor, overcames him, and freezes him. then lights go out.......

Nando3D
07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
whaaoo nice story, can you do that in the next week?

good luck and i'll be watching your progess..

nando

azazel
07-10-2003, 04:11 PM
can you do that in the next week?
That indeed is a question.....

We have some work already done... but nothing 'showable' yet. Maybe some masks ;)

mah-h
07-10-2003, 05:53 PM
hi
I'm glad to see you there
but I think you don't know me

swag
07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi azazel, time is running :) nice location - show us some nice ice and frost (will u paint it or do some particle, fluit simulation in maya?)

victor throe
07-10-2003, 09:45 PM
great location

that sounds wicked

i hope you are going to do a thorough talk through of how you did the shot when its finished

cheers in advance

azazel
07-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Ice and frost will be a combination of painting, particles, maybe fluids ;) if necessary, some reflections passes will be also needed. Paticles willl be mostly used for vapours ;). We will of course break it down later. Thanks guys for the feedback :beer:

Selim
07-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok, here's final movie:

MPEG-4 [714 kb] (http://sykut.pp.com.pl/finalmovie.avi)
QT-Sorenson 3 [4 mb] (http://sykut.pp.com.pl/finalmovie.mov)

Hope we're on time :)

azazel
07-14-2003, 07:00 PM
http://sykut.pp.com.pl/footage.jpg

victor throe
07-14-2003, 08:23 PM
wooo haaa

thats effect is wicked

the bloke looks totally fake though.....

really cold lookin

run us through how it was done dude

victor throe
07-14-2003, 08:36 PM
the bloke seems to be illuminated in the dark from something to his top left

its quite orange too

he would probably be in darkness....just silouhetted

also

you only seem to have done the artwork for the second nearest light coming on

otherwise you have all this illumination apparently being emitted from the ice

was this intentional?

the animation on the guy is quite wooden

remember one of the most important rules for animation is action/reaction

your dudes mass just seems to start propelling backwards...and then the foot plants back down a fair distance behind him and it lands quite level

it gives the impression that he is stepping down from kirb or something

id also re visit the dudes shadow

its very crisp but i suspect that it would be alot more diffused around the upper body as its some distance from the wall and we have quite alot of reflective ice to bounce light into those dark areas

on a purely persoanl note i would have had him recoiling from the ice in a more dramatic way and have him freeze during that movement to really highlight the life stopping nature of the ice

kind of like the freezing shot in the mask

stunning effect though

is all the frozen wall stuff just a matte painting faded in

azazel
07-15-2003, 08:48 AM
the bloke seems to be illuminated in the dark from something to his top left

bloke would be digital me, but otherwise You are right :)

you only seem to have done the artwork for the second nearest light coming on

Lights in far in the corridor are turning on as the ice is coming, that's why it seems ice is a lightsource.

the animation on the guy is quite wooden

Again, U right. We have very little experience in char animation :D

is all the frozen wall stuff just a matte painting faded in

I wish fade in was the case ;) It'd save us painting all these masks, playing with smoke, particles and such. But it was painted, in few layers, and masked.

We wanted to have also some destructuion there (pieces of walls breaking, such things) but no time to do it .

victor throe
07-15-2003, 09:11 AM
doing subtle realistic animation....especially on humans is very difficult

is there any reason why you did a cg character?

you could have just shot an empty plate and then the action plate and used a difference matte to an alpha from it

or

just rotod him out

the debris would have not been too difficult to achieve initially but it would have required some fudging to get it to collide with the ground and remain

i would have gone out into the car park and film myself dropping chunks of plaster and other lumps of crap onto the floor

pulled a matte from it and then comped them in

azazel
07-15-2003, 09:37 AM
At first, we shot the location with digital camera, and came back home :) We wanted to came there later with camera, lghts and stuff, but unfortunately we could not. Few reasons, legal ones ;) as well as lack of camera (we were going to borrrow it, but at the time when we could do it owner of the camera was already on the holidays and not available). So we had only one plate to work with :) and a week of time.

As for debris, nice idea. We were thinking about using particles and dynamics - lack of camera again.

SdFX
07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I really dig the concept, but I'm afraid I think it's way too stylized. That said, I still think it's cool that you gyus finished a piece without having access to a camera, and considering your material the result is very nice!

Bischofftep
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by victor throe
you could have just shot an empty plate and then the action plate and used a difference matte to an alpha from it

or

just rotod him out

Difference Matte... I tried that on mine (see my notes about trying to put my actor over a CG element... argh...) and was extremely disappointed at the results. I fiddled with it for a few hours trying to get the settings just right, and still got an ugly result. I'd have thought a difference matte would be ideal. Perhaps it's just Final Cut Express's poor quality Diff Matte plug-in, or I don't know what I'm doing... but I suspect it's the difficulty in doing difference matting with DV which has a large amount of inherent noise.

As for rotoscoping someone out... can you give a mini-tutorial or bullet points on how to do that? I'm very curious.

Thanks!

Mouser
07-16-2003, 03:09 PM
I've looked around the thread, but can't find a link to the animation.. am I missing somthing?

edit - just found it... must be blind :)

Cyborgguineapig
07-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Man you definetely got my vote. If you have ever played the game Half-Life, this looks like what a movie version of Black Mesa complex would look like. This is excellent, too bad I didn't participate in this one with only 7 entries I may have had a chance:D

azazel
07-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks Cyborgguineapig. You say HL.... location is shot in a basement of a hospital.......:eek:

mah-h
07-19-2003, 12:57 PM
hi
can I see a finaly work of you?

azazel
07-19-2003, 01:34 PM
mah-h, here You go: (repost from previous page) http://sykut.pp.com.pl/finalmovie.avi

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.