PDA

View Full Version : Animation Demo Reel

earchild
04-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Hi All, I wanted to post my demo reel for some C & C. It's relatively short, but it's the best of what I've got at the moment. Thanks for looking!

http://www.ericarchibald.com/demo_reel.html

mistasam02
04-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey dude, great start! A lot of the first piece, however, needs a bunch of work. The timing, poses, and arcs are the key things to look out for. Make sure the pose is strong and easy to read. Right now both characters are just standing there in "normal" looking poses. Spice it up! The girl's walk cycle looks pretty good, and so does the funny monster/cat animation. The pug at the end is really bad. If you're going for a cartoony style, make it even more stylized with the timing. Right now he's just popping back and forth instead delayed timing (like slower on the up faster on the down, etc), but overall I think you have potential. Keep it up and keep posting new work!

earchild
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks, mistasam! One of the biggest challenges I have is figuring out what to do with full figure shots during dialogue in terms of how the characters hold themselves. From the pelvis up I'm filled with ideas, but from the pelvis down, well, it gets a little stagnant. I bought a video camera so I can record myself in different positions to see how the weight shifts and such, and that helped. I improve with every attempt, so I guess it's just little steps. :)

With the pug, I was actually just trying to mimic an actual pug walk from reference film I found, which is all bouncy and fast, and left precious few frames for overlap and such. When I had the cycle slower it had more of those things, but no longer looked like a pug specific walk cycle. I'll go back in and see if there is a happy medium (I'm sure there is).

Wilson-3d
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah Phish!! Great music. Off to a nice start. On the first scene you can see that you have lots things working but it is splining through pose to pose. Never hitting a pose and sticking but just going through all the poses. Hit one fast, stick it and let them say something in that pose then move on to the next and stick it.
Cheers,

earchild
04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Wilson! Great advice on having them hit the poses and hold while they say a line. Always something more to do!

And Phish's instrumental tracks are almost all pretty sweet for animation reels. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.