PDA

View Full Version : Test Animation

Freebirth
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, I'm a first time poster, apparently, but that doesn't mean that I haven't observed and enjoyed this forum for ages. I recently did my first character animation for a class and was hoping to get some feedback.

It's a preliminary test run for a character I hope to do a bit more with. Comments and criticism are welcome of course. I hope only to pick the minds of the brilliant animators in membership here. It's certainly not perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRsDS6PeJA

Thanks!

-FB

crisplet
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
hey Freebirth

It's hard to know what's going on here... I don't know what the character is thinking, or doing. Story-wise it definitely needs improvement

As far the movement; it looks kind of stop motion-esque, which is cool, if that;s what you're going for.

The audience needs to know exactly what the character is thinking or feeling, otherwise, there's no point to a shot.

keep on watching cartoons/film, and pay close attention to the emotion involved.

MolemanSD7
04-01-2009, 04:55 PM
It was touched on above a bit... but the motion feels really stiff. Are the anim curves on splines or just linear? I would work on increasing the weight of the character too in the walk and when throwing over the table. He feels a bit light. Some anticipation would help a bit too. Otherwise a decent start...

Freebirth
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree with what's been said so far. I'll definitely keep working on giving a little more weight and anticipation to his actions. Something I feel is going to be an issue though, is in regards to the stiffness. I'm having trouble balancing out cartoony motion with stiff motion. I want the character to come off as stiff and very cold and calculating in all of his movements, but I don't want to turn him into a complete robot either. Any advice on making his movements very deliberate yet still feel alive?

Freebirth
04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm not for sure what happened to my last message, but it basically said that I agree with the above critiques, especially in regards to the lack of anticipation (one thing that realized I didn't pay nearly enough attention to). I also was hoping for some help on a problem that I'm having regarding the stiffness.

I want the character's actions to appear very rigid and cold and calculating, but I don't want him to appear to be a weird robot. I'm having trouble finding out how to represent that kind of movement. I understand, on a basic level, how to create cartoony motion, but not cartoon cold and calculating movement.

Any help is appreciated.

Splinter
04-04-2009, 05:12 AM
This is a very interesting animation. It has potential for a real good story. I think that with out one I don't understand the shot of the light or why he flips the table. I tried to keep a close eye on his walk cycle and it looked like the arms had only a one dimensional motion. I especially noticed this from the front. when he approached the table. Also try to ease in once he arrives the whole body including the hands kind of snap automatically to the table upon arrival.

Looks good!!!

Freebirth
04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for responding Splinter!

Yeah, the arms during the walk were a major pain in the butt. I only rigged IK arms (I wonder if it's not too late to go back and add an FK/IK switch), and they are just horrible for walk cycles. I agree to that his arms should probably come up above the table then come down, rather than snapping straight to it. That's another thing that the FK/IK switch could clear up.

And just to give a little back story to this character, and where I plan to take him: He's an old German scientist who still sympathizes with the eugenics philosophy, and is on a mission to spawn a race of perfect humans by genetically altering the children of this generation. He wears glasses all the time because, due to an experiment his eyes are super sensitive to light (this will come into play in a Silence of the Lambs esque hunt through the dark for the main character little girl).

Also, one of the problems I faced came from his humongous feet. Any tips on making the motion more natural?

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.