PDA

View Full Version : A sketch I'm pretty happy with

Cockofthewok
05-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Hi! I want to start out by apologizing for posting a wip here. I did this because the wip section is more for 3d (I think). if you think this is grossly inappropriate, mods, please move the post and I'll never do it again. that being said, please give me crits cause I want to catch them in this early sketch. this character is named Durham and he's from an idea I posted a while ago. and that's a dinosaur (of my own design) behind him.

C&C! C&C! C&C!
*edit* balked with the sharpness a bit fun fun fun.:bounce:

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/Upload/i10447durhamdrgn1.jpg

alchoi
05-07-2002, 12:46 AM
I like it a lot man ...

There are a few small things that I'd like to suggest, but I don't know if verbal is the way to go ...

Mind if I take it into Photoshop and draw a couple of lines of indication?

It's purely because I like your pose and I want to suggest pushing a few things here and there ...

BTW For all the mods ... Gee, I've been posting the odd sketch here and there ... I hope nobody minds ... didn't realize there was a separate WIP section for 2D, but everybody here seems pretty laid back ....

Hope it's cool.

Gilgamesh
05-07-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey, I'm glad you're still pushing this idea. I liked the concept and was looking forward to more of the same.
My only crit with this image is that the perspective looks a little too intense. His arm going back gets too small, and the leg coming forward gets too big. I guess that is just an opinion, but it kind of throws me off, as if the proportions are wrong.
The same goes with the sword. I'm not sure if it actually phisically gets bigger toward the tip, or if you are again using perspective to show that it is tilted forward. I think (again, IMO) that the lines should be parallel, or tilted the other way. The way that it is now looks just too akward to be holding.
The character looks great. I definately like that he is missing an arm.

Cockofthewok
05-07-2002, 12:56 AM
cool thanks. I'd be honored. I'll try my hand at wacomin' (that doesn't sound right) as soon as I'm finished with it. that should be about tomorrow.

Gilgamesh: I certainly agree. I did the small hand, big knee sort of on purpose. I like that extremely exagerrated, um, style. I do also know it is def. not good for concepts since, you're right it throws the proportion off. as for the sword, I do see it now. it was supposed to get bigger at the end, but the proportion got thrown oof by that too.

there's a few things here and there that I'll fix by tomorry. red the knee and such. thanks for the crits this early in the sketch. maybe I can make something really cool out of this (I feel a new avatar for it)

alchoi
05-07-2002, 03:18 AM
Yeah ... here are the two suggestions I had in mind ....

This is taking into account that your dude is in a finishing pose by the way ...

alchoi
05-07-2002, 03:24 AM
Here's the one without your drawing .....

I thought it would balance out your pose of you cleared the lead foot, sort of, into a better silhouette position ... with a bit of thigh showing, it would really help push the perspective a bit ...

I know that that back leg position's going to be a bitch, so I recommend a bit of research on that ... have a friend pose it out, or look through some comics for that back foot pose ...

The other suggestion is just to push that shoulder tilt a bit .... just to help balance the pose and pulls the arm out into a nice dynamic arc ....

Have you thought about reversing the grip on the sword? Like he's coming out of a backslash? You know how ninjas carry their swords while running ....

Anyway ... wicked pose man ... I wanna check it out when your done ...

Good work.

Al.

Sangotten
05-07-2002, 08:53 AM
Nice sketch man!!!

I really like the manga style, and the fact that he has only one arm....

Keep it coming!

Cockofthewok
05-07-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks Sangotten! and Al_choi, I really appreciate you taking so much time to show me how to fix this pose. I see exactly what you mean. I'll try to start on a stronger pose today!
As for the grip on the sword, I wanted to have him use a very different style of fighting that's just in my mind right now. sort of like Sol- Badguy in Guilty gear. it's clumsy. But, Durham here pulls it off fluidly. It would sort of take people by surprise. (that sounds cheesy) anyhow, even the grip in the picture appears to be off because it would be just stupid to hold a sword that big that way.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

WOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

alchoi
05-07-2002, 01:35 PM
I'm glad it helped out ...

And I hear what your saying about the eclectic fighting style ...

That's cool ... I love fight sequences where two people are fighting completely different styles ... and one guy has this weird style you've never seen before ...

Like the first time I saw a capoeira fighter ...

Good work man ...

:)

Pancreas
05-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Itīs very nice, but i think there are some weird parts. Iīve read that you wanted the exaggerated perspective view, but the left leg looks to short and broad...
The sword handle is too short, it should be long enough for two hands gripping, and for balance the weapon.
Itīs a pity that the dragonīs face is just behind the character, his arm hides the lizardīs eye, iīd put the head upwards.
BTW i like the blood on the sword and the one-armed detail, it reminds me an old drawing i did years ago (if you wanna see it, here) (http://www.soportalia.com/pancreas/Assets/Images/galeria_2D/manco.jpg)

Cockofthewok
05-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Pancreas: true dat, true dat. I'm sorry I can't really incorporate your suggestions into the current sketch, otherwise it would look like an erased mess. I'll prob. redesign the tip of the sword, but I'll keep the short handle since this thing is custom made for him after his arm was gone.

*update* of the first post's sketch!:bounce:

Frinsklen
05-08-2002, 09:48 PM
hey, I like the last image, the blue one.
more dynamic than the first sketch... and I kinda like the new pose better also.
and I'm not sure I like the right arm in the first image, strange pose, I think. But the rest of the sketch looks impressive...

keep it up!!

Cockofthewok
05-10-2002, 11:47 PM
what the hell, I guess I'll make this a sketch I'm pretty happy with dump. I want to see how I can improve by posting pictures with the corrections you all give me. plus there's so much I want to do with this character. Here's a pic from when he sprouts an arm (I think this might be fun) he gets a apelll or something to give him this ethereal arm but he can't just go running around with it. it almost kills him every time he emplores it. it also opens his wound on his arm. and it burns everything it touches.

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/Upload/i10447durarm.jpg

Sangotten
05-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Dude!!!
That's pretty cool, I like the pose and the arm looks good too!
I like the idea of some kinda ghost arm that burns everything...

Keep it coming!:wip:

Cockofthewok
05-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Actually, sangotten, this is inspired by some of the awesome stuff I saw on your site! :thumbsup:

also, the coolest thing about it is that it has the ability to become a giant sword (I mean, like 2 miles long) and completely eradicate everything around him. I don't want to make it like Pokemon, (y'know the old ULTIMATE ATTACK!! OH NO! NOT THE ULTIMATE ATTACK!!) but thus might be cool

also maybe using this power could be sort of like steroids. making him lead sort of a live fast, die hard sort of lifestyle. maybe he could develop chronic injuries after using it too much.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.