PDA

View Full Version : Automating user input thru MEL?

DarkKnightBG
03-31-2009, 02:50 AM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to automate the import process of a character. This process requires a custom plug-in. This plugin (Cal3D Importer) requires that the user import a mesh file first and then select the associated skeleton file. Unfortunately, the plugin is built so that when triggering the importing command on the mesh file, it automaticlaly goes on pop up a message box and ask the user to find the associated skeleton file. The scripts stops execution and waits for user input.

The user input here is predicatble and I would like to automate it. Is there any way for me to have MEL fill in the appropriate information in the input field instead of waiting for the user to do it?

Thanks!

Robert Bateman
03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
IIRC the cal3d importer is open source, so you should just be able to modify the relevant portions of the code to skip the dialog boxes.

DarkKnightBG
03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply, Robert. I did think about doing that. Just seemed like a ton more work for such a silly reason...

There is no other way around it that anyone can think of? Maybe I could somehow get the UI name and then the text field, etc.

Thanks all.

Zach

DarkKnightBG
03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey all. I found a solution. Look like the import command in MEL can take an extra -options flag which allows you to pass in the file that the dialog box originally asked the user for. Problem solved!

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.