PDA

View Full Version : spline modeing tutorial: Angelina Jolie head

neversong
07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
this is the tutorial of the Jolie head I posted in WIP gallery few days ago.

Angelina Jolie Spline Head Toturial. PDF (http://damascus.com.ne.kr/temp/AngelinaJolieSplineHeadTutorial.pdf)

Boxcarwilli
07-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Looks like you nailed those lips...........nice work.

rremzie
07-10-2003, 10:59 AM
very cool tut, i'm gonna give it a try :thumbsup:

blackwulf360
07-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info...I'll have to try it later also.

gnarlycranium
07-17-2003, 01:05 AM
Now that is a nifty tutorial! :thumbsup:

But.. if I could make one note.... if you could please, please put in a sentence or two about how you adjusted the brow in the profile, I think it'd spare us a whole pile of Angelina Jolie models with grotesquely bulging foreheads. I noticed your first, rough profile line followed the edge of the profile in the photo... but by page 9 you'd adjusted it to not follow the lump of the opposite brow. A lot of people won't notice that, or even know they're supposed to watch out for it.

I'm writing some head tutorials myself, when I have a links page to other resources, I'd like to include one to this tut of yours!

neversong
07-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Gnarly Cranium: wow, you should be very skillfull with modeling.

most people wouldn't recognize it.

so, if anyone follows my screenshots without paying enough attention to each screenshots, he/she'll end up producing wierd foreheads.

and the reason why I didn't mention that area was....

because I believe that's totally depending on the personal artistic sense.

You just can't model well by following the best tutorials;
but you have to have the 'eye'.

so, in this case, I think we have to have the sense to see areas that are not shown in references.

and that can't be taught/instructed....

cheers.;)

SatanJr
07-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I am trying to follow your tutorial but when I apply a surface to the spline it ends up with big sections of the surface missing.

If I could get spline modeling down I could work so much faster. Is there any other tutorials around that go over the basics of spline modeling, because as it is right now I am having real "hit or miss" luck with how the surface ends up.

thanks.

neversong
07-18-2003, 05:29 PM
try turn off/on the 'flip normal ' in surface modifier.

and sometimes, if just some parts are flipped, just leave it till you progress more. nothing to worry about. :)

syst3moveride
08-13-2003, 12:44 AM
when i am working with spline modeling i can newer figure out how to make all the endpoints to connect so when i ad the surface modifier it never works right and i get all these dodgey shapes can you help me

edaddy
08-13-2003, 06:12 AM
no prob

the verts actually DONT have to be connected, they only have to be very close to each other to work correctly... turn on your '3d snap toggle' to keep verts close to each other when drawing your splines

hit F1 too...

syst3moveride
08-13-2003, 06:34 AM
:beer: thanks! i have turned on the end point snap and it works perfect

FatAssasin
08-14-2003, 05:53 PM
The model looks really good. But I have a question. Isn't the whole point of spline modeling that you can use fewer splines to achieve the same results as a polygon model? With this tutorial you're basically just drawing the edges of a medium res polygon model, which you could then apply Meshsmooth to. Seems like it would be easier to just model in poly mode and shift-drag edges to create the polys. Especially since you're converting it to poly object in the end anyway. I don't think you're really taking advantage of the specific benefits of using splines, like using Bezier curves, fewer splines and vertices, and then applying the Edit Patch modifier to convert it to a patch object instead of a poly object. This way you have the convenience of skinning using fewer vertices, but can still render out a high res mesh by turning up the number of Render Steps.

neversong
08-16-2003, 03:56 PM
good point. :)

Using spline with more than 0 topology will give you certain advantages as you just said.

I totally agree.

The only reason I use spline like this is I can work much faster with this method. Bezier handles has strengths, but takes too much of my time.

openzight
08-20-2003, 05:05 PM
excellent tutorial, it's just what i needed,

thx for posting it.

:buttrock:

dazrenius
08-26-2003, 03:20 AM
tis is the best head modelling tutorial...thank you man.....thanks a lot!:buttrock:

shadowkeeper
08-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Finally! I wont lose this great tutorial. :wavey: :beer:

neversong
09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
I am glad that you like this one. ;)

TheWicked
09-08-2003, 02:26 AM
Hey thanks a lot man. I've tried and tried again at making heads but could never do it. This tutorial is a different way from all the other ones so I'll give it a whack tomorrow. Thanks man :buttrock:

MassiveOverHual
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Man i have been forever looking for your refrence pic and i have come to the conclusion to ask you for the pic's I know there from the movie but just cant find those anywhere did you take those pic from the A dvd movie im lost here in the dark be my light and hear my cry

Hope this is your reading these post :love:

neversong
09-11-2003, 05:44 PM
well, that is strange. I can't find that image, either.

I got the file from fineart.sk.

and now, I don't see that one. mmmmmm....

I think, you can still go with the other ones(jolie)..

there are 2~3 of them.

good luck!

Why don't you try with other heads though?
using the same method.:thumbsup:

Gadzooks
09-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Neversong thanks for taking the time to write a excelent tutorial!
But i was wondering can we get the refrence images you used so we can follow along with the tutorial.
Thanks in advance.

neversong
09-15-2003, 07:45 PM
:)

I don't have it. I guess, I lost it while formatting several times since I wrote this tutorial.

jum'bok
10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
hey great stuff! i've seen a lot of badly done jolie models, this definitely isn't one of them. i'll definitely add this to my (long) list of "cool tutorials from cgtalk i have to do."

:cool:

neversong
12-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Thank you, jum'bok.

Jatobi
12-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I Cant seem to get the file. I click it, a browser opens and it says page cannot be displayed. I right click and save as and it doesnt come up, it errors.

neversong
12-21-2003, 11:43 PM
hello, Jatobi.

it works fine for me. :shrug:

cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.