PDA

View Full Version : Saslite render error? (eg included)

geoff3dnz
07-10-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi there,

I get a rendering error with saslite. It's probably pretty hard to see in two separate frames, although sticks out like a sore thumb if you view the images sequentially. It occurs on frame 41 - it's like a light beneath the kiwi suddenly ramps up in intensity and the hair becomes lighter... all subsequent frames render with this brighter hair but all the frames up to frame 40 have the darker hair. I've checked and rechecked, and no lights or textures in the scene have any envelopes at all...

kiwi frame 40 (http://www.geoff3d.com/images/kiwi/kiwi02_sas_040.jpg)

kiwi frame 41 (http://www.geoff3d.com/images/kiwi/kiwi02_sas_041.jpg)

Has anyone experienced any anomalies like this before? The problem is repeatable, but here's a real wierd thing - I rendered this project about a year ago, and the same thing happened, but at frame 42! Something strange is definitely going on...

I'm using LW7.5c, but this has occured since LW first came with saslite (whatever version that was... 7?)

Thanks for any help,

Geoff

devi8
07-10-2003, 11:37 AM
I havent experienced this, but normally when I come accross a problem like this its something ive done and forgotten about, rather than a bug in lightwave:)
The only things I can think of that might cause this, are, changes in lighting, not just intesity but position, do any of the lights rotate or move at any point? Does the ambient light level change?
Do any other objects in the scene ( if there are any), come between any of the lights and the kiwi? Do any dissolve?
I use full Sas, but does Sas lite have envelopes on any of its settings?

The moving of the 'change' frame from 41-42 to 40-41 ? Could that be to do with render from frame 0/ render from frame 1? I know on loads of my old scenes, I used to render from frame zero, not realising the impact this had on motion blur, but all my current scenes I render from frame 1. just a thought.

Good luck:/

Devi

Bliz
07-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Not sure what the problem is but my experience of Saslite has shown that it is very sensitive to lighting conditions. What I do now to make it more controlable is to create a specific spotlight that only sees the object with the saslite hair.
As a work around in a case like yours I'd envelope the spotlight to make it dimmer at that problem point.

It's not ideal but is a work around. Have you emailed anybody at Worley Labs about it? They may be open to looking at your scene?

Last thing to check - are you using GI in that scene? In my admittedly limited experience of Saslite and GI, they don't seem to work together very well. The GI made my hair a lot lighter than it should have been.

webfox
07-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Check to make sure your lights have no motions in the graph editor whatsoever and that there's no envelope in the light intensities.

Also check to make sure you don't have an envelope in your Sas settings.

I have never had Sas freak out one me before. I think it's something else, but then again, I use Sas full, myself.

Worley plugins are the most stable part of Lightwave in my opinion.

Vodoo_Child
07-10-2003, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen this bug either. Have you tried posting to the worley newsgroup? There are lots of very helpful people on there. Check out the link from worley.com

geoff3dnz
07-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks to you all for your replies...

I'll do some more investigation - it's bound to be something stoopid! ;)

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.