PDA

View Full Version : 5600 fx settings for softimage

tdmack
07-09-2003, 11:59 PM
Anybody might know what or where i might get some settings info for the 5600 fx 256 card and running softimage with it.

I've been getting some troubles with resizing the viewports and having about a quarter of the viewport covered with a black bar. Also when in the f curve editor when moving crurves and points around it doesn't seem to want to update the editor and i get ghost images of the the curves. Please help!

Pascal_nl
07-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Im having also some problems with this video card...
But @ my place it's with 3d sudio max.
first of all i dont have a direct x support in max, and some major running diffuculties.. so if anyone can help me to please....

tdmack do you also have problems when starting up, then somethimes you only see your toolbars but nothing in your viewports..???

tdmack
07-10-2003, 01:53 AM
ya something a little similar. Was just told that these cards are supposed to work great for 3d apps.

elvis
07-10-2003, 02:14 AM
have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers from nvidia.com?

have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your AGP port and motherboard?

have you tested other openGL applications for their relative performance? (GLExcess and the quake3 demo are some good tests).

have you read greg's sticky at the top of teh forum? tell us your system specs, operating system, directx versions installed, drivers installed, service packs instaleld, etc, etc, etc.

tdmack
07-10-2003, 02:55 AM
here is my sys

3000+ athalon
asus a7v8x motherboard
msi 5600 fx 256mg driver version 44.03
1 gb ram
win 2000 service pack 2

any otehr info you might need let me know

elvis
07-10-2003, 08:19 AM
A7V8X is based on the via kt400 chipset. make sure you've installed the latest via 4-in-1 drivers (now called the "hyperion" drivers) from www.viaarena.com

windows 2000 is now at service pack 4. be sure to install this service pack as well as all other updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

hardware is nothing without good software and drivers to run them. don't start blaming your hardware until you make absolutely sure your software is up to spec.

tdmack
07-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Installed the 4in1 drivers and nothing happened significant. however everything worked really nice once i got the direct x 9 installed. Go figure. Anyways i am a little hesitant on the service pack 4. As i tried sp3 on my other computer and i don't like how it runs now.

elvis
07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
1) the gfFX5600 is a directX9 chipset. you really should install DX9 to get the most out of it.

2) the 44 series drivers are tuned for DX9. always ensure you have the same version of directX installed as your drivers are optimised for

3) if your computer is attached to the internet or LAN, install SP4. not doing so is a security reisk and a liability to you. you have been warned.

GregHess
07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
If your using 3dsmax, you should be using opengl.

Start max with 3dsmax.exe -h and choose opengl.

D3D in Max is widely considered a far less stable platform for working then opengl.

All the new dx8/9 features are basically "oh neat" features more then "oh wow I can really use this" anyway.

Equinoxx
07-14-2003, 12:03 PM
!! WARNING !!

do NOT install Windows2K SP4 if you're running max.
there are issues with this. maxfiles made under sp4 can't be opened under an earlier sp.
also, there's a major problem with max5 & sp4 concerning saving files.

this has been confirmed by discreet.

will post related links to the discreetboard ones i can connect to it.
(seems offline right now)

GregHess
07-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Equinox,

You should do a big STICKY on this.

Especially since most max users have NO idea.

Thanks.

Equinoxx
07-14-2003, 12:15 PM
yeah gonna do that

here's a related link on cgtalk

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75316

edit - just made a forumwide anouncement about it.

cheers.

GregHess
07-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Cheers to you dude :).

You probably just saved a few thousand max'er's a hella lot of trouble :).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.