PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Future City

SimonReeves
07-09-2003, 08:55 PM
hello there, I think this is about finished now :thumbsup:
be sure to check the nice big wip thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70662)

http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/city/cityfinal.jpg

I'll do a bigger render soonish

:thumbsup:

SimonReeves
07-09-2003, 08:58 PM
oo and heres a wire [sorry rei ;)]

http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/city/wire.jpg

scarrow
07-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Pretty cool. I like the architecture a lot as it really emphasizes that cities are not just blocks of rectangular buildings arranged in a grid. Also, I think you've added very nice grime to the texturing as the stains look quite believable to me.

A couple of things seem a little strange though.

The first is that all of the building surfaces seem to be made out of the same material, but perhaps this is by design. It does give it a more utopian feel. I guess it's not really that they are all the exact same material, but they are all very bright and look like some kind of white sandstone or something.

The second is that the motion blur on the vehicles doesn't really make them look like they're travelling along the direction of the road, rather it just makes them look fuzzy. This is just an impression and I'm not quite sure how'd you go about fixing it. I think elongating the blur might help, but it might also look too artificial. It's also hard to tell from this angle, but the vehicle shadows don't seem to be blurred in the same fashion as the vehicle bodies.

DZL
07-09-2003, 10:49 PM
i dig the style, but i'm not getting any sense of scale - it seems small to me, like it's a miniturized city or something...

it could have something to do with the textures - i see almost too much detail from the distance the camera's supposed to be.

but, like i said - the style kicks arse.

Cyborgguineapig
07-09-2003, 10:58 PM
nice:beer:

Carbon
07-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Looks very nice to me, but as mattconway said it does feel like its miniature in a sort of sense. I also noticed the cars and their size compared to the building is a little small when you take the size of the person thats going to be in them. I can't picture people that small fitting into one of those buildings in the back. Goodjob though, looks great so far. :surprised

Klaymen
07-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Yeah i agree on what mattconway said, it looks like a model, try scaling down the textures a bit, even though they are really good!!! :applause: :applause: :buttrock:

jackburton
07-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Really cool looking, but I think it looks small too. Some distance fog would go a long way to fix that, i think. I like the way all the buildings look like they're made from almost the same material, gives it a sense it's pre-fab, modular.

SimonReeves
07-10-2003, 12:23 AM
thanks for the comments guys

I changed the camera angle and perspective, hopefully this makes it look less like a toy city kinda thing

http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/city/cityfinal2.jpg

btw, Is it possible to ever finish a scene ever ;)

:thumbsup:

Garma
07-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by scarrow

The first is that all of the building surfaces seem to be made out of the same material, but perhaps this is by design. It does give it a more utopian feel.

I really would NOT change that. I think it would screw up the image, the harmony would be gone, atmosphere if you know what I mean. I like them the way they are

good work overall. The grey sky looks a little too grey I think. Maybe some variations in colour would do the job

I saw your wip thread lately. Too bad all of the details of the "cars" are gone now, you did them pretty good. Maybe post a not blurred version?

RuneV
07-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Looks excellent!

btw: no, dont think so.

JonC
07-10-2003, 02:29 AM
hey you allready finished it! ;)

nice, I really like the smoothness of this image.
did you made some modifications in a 2D prog as photoshop? and if yes can you tell me what? :D

thx :thumbsup:

DAREONER
07-10-2003, 02:40 AM
very cool

SimonReeves
07-10-2003, 10:54 AM
thanks for the comments guys
:wavey:

wedge
07-10-2003, 10:59 AM
i think it looks really nice, i like the design. i love the wireframe render, i think its beautiful. but it doesn't look like a real city. it looks fake, but not in the way that minority report or star wars looks fake. it looks like a miniature model run through a series of photoshop filters.

DJ Scorchio
07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
I really like it :)
Maybe something to put stuff to scale a bit better, like placing a character in there somewhere? although i think this might ruin the sceane anyway...
Well, great work, cant wait to see more renders :)

Rickmeister
07-10-2003, 03:19 PM
like i mentiont before, i love the scene.
its nice to see how it build up.

u should leave it like what it is 4 now.

(sorry 4 the bad english)

Engy
08-06-2003, 02:00 PM
I like it, but i agree it looks like a small model. the way round this would be clever use of fogging. Maybe the fog maximum levels should be higher and a tinge of blue in the colour value.
Good work though

eoin
08-06-2003, 03:13 PM
good stuff!

Jungle_Tintin
08-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Nice design! :applause:
It could be nice make a "night render" of your city...:D

good job ;)

JasonA
09-18-2003, 03:25 AM
Cool model:) I really liek the un-orthodox design of the buildings and the motorway. Very cool how you've avoided the 'retangular' look of alot of city scenes.

I agree about the the need for some atmospheric perspective tho, I think it would help alot.

And a night scene would indeed be cool:) maybe you should model on some streetlights to those overhanging things over the motorway.

nice job :thumbsup:

-=SunDoWneR=-
09-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Hope we will be there s00n xD

nICE 1

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.