PDA

View Full Version : 2009 animation demo reel

thehive
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
hey guys wanted to post the demo get some feed back thanks

http://ibookglobal.com/Eric/Eric_R.mov

detached
03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Whats up with the XP/BSOD thing at the beginning?

I like the feel of this reel a lot. All the acting is great. Everything after the lip sync, although good, feels like filler material. If it was me, i'd ax everything after the lip sync but the block guy running. That was a more dynamic and interesting shot. Probably ax the flour sack too.

That would make the reel super short, but you'd only be displaying the best of the best on there and thats all your going to be judged by anyway.

thehive
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
good deal thanks man,

paulmcg1
03-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Hey Eric, just finished watching your reel, love the flour sack! Classic stuff. Did a really nice job with it. I think you could do a few things to really make this reel have a punch too it. Here's what I would suggest:

Use a simple background with your information on it at the beginning for like 1 second. Then you can open up with your flour sack. Instead of using the flour sack to present your name, end it once he looks at that piece that flys out to him. So keep about the first 4 seconds of the flour sack and take out the last few seconds you have. After that, I'd get rid of 8-30...all of that dialogue stuff. It just wasn't really cutting it for me. If you want to include maybe a few seconds, I think that wouldn't hurt. However, I mean few, like maybe when that little bug starts walking around 10-13 and also 21-23. I wouldn't put them one after another. Put 10-13, something else, then put 21-23...just avoid putting them next to each other. It will add interesting texture.

Regarding the music, take what happens at 30 seconds and put it back at the beginning of your reel. Also, the guy that's thrown against the lightpost is very repetative. I know it's three different variations but showing only one of those variations would suffice. Perhaps pick your best one?

Apart from those things, not bad Eric.

Hope this helps!

thehive
03-28-2009, 11:55 PM
thank really appreciate it, see what mean. im planing to replace the none production stuff with either fx or riggin not sure which route i want to go well see.

Micah-H
03-30-2009, 02:16 AM
I like it good job man

Wilson-3d
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Its crazy how subjective reel editing can be. After I watched it, I was thinking the main think I would cut was the block character running. Then I read someone else say that is all they would leave in. I agree with the flour sac editing down. The main thing to me was how is kind of stopped at the end for a while before the end of the intro clip. I would keep most all of the game stuff and just do a pass to see what you think is the weakest. Over all I think you have a really tight reel. Nice work.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.