PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on vancouver film school (Only RECENT students / idustry pros respod please)

BlackRaven548
03-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Note: im going to take the 3D animation and Visual effects course (starting oct/17/2010)
2nd note: i get to skip the fundamental class because of my current work http://black-raven546.deviantart.com/

*Sigh* ive actually already started to pay payments but my mom keeps doing research on the school (even tho weve already spent like $2300 on it so far) and found some bad reviews (from like way back in 2003) and now shes worried this isnt the right school.

questions i have:
:students:
how was the school?
how friendly were the teachers?
did you enjoy your time there?
:pros:
Would you hire a VFS student?
why or why not?

Kirt
03-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Do you not see the front page plug pointing out that we have a new education and schools forum?

Moving this thread ... :banghead:

JamesMcPhail
03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Have a read through this thread. Plenty of info on VFS in there from plenty of recent students over the last few years.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5770499#post5770499

Siberial
03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
This really is a tricky thing to figure out.

I myself have been working back home for a couple of year to build up the bankroll to attend one of my choice schools. I have been researching my ass off for about as long as I can remember, and the truth behind it is your not going to find the answer your looking for. Everyone has their own opinions, and it's hard to try and weed out the opinions that you should be paying attention to. People will tell you VFS will rock your Third Dimensional world, others will tell you that you might as well take out a loan from the bank for Thirty Grand and just light it on fire. You've obviously seen the posts about people telling you that your going to get out of it what you put in, but honestly I think that that is true of pretty much everything in life and provides zero insight depicting the VFS experience.

What people like you, well us, need... is some clear and definitive insight into what the school is like today, where people are going and more importantly, for all of you people in industry, how do you feel your workplace perceives VFS student.

The main VFS thread is way to long to sort through, I've been following it for a long time, but its hard to jump around through the timeline and find out what you need to know. So here is a call out to all of you grads. Read what I'm writing, and respond accordingly.

Also, there have been a few newer institutions that have come around in recent years. The best example I can think of is Think tank (TTTC). I have looked into it and have had many conversations with Scott Thompson, ( who was great at answering my questions). The quality in their reels isn't as impressive as some of the stuff coming out of some places like VFS, but is that because they don't provide as good of instruction/education, or is it because their students simply aren't putting in the effort. It's quite a bit cheaper, but if your going to be spending your life's savings anyways. I'd rather be paying a larger price and graduate with an phenomenal knowledge 3D modeling, which will lead to a great job and fill that void. Rather than paying almost my lifs savings, and not be as good as I can be.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but this really is a tough thing for all of us wanna be 3D artists.

Anyone who can provide some insight please do, not just for me or blackraven, but for everyone that aspires to become a successful 3D artist.

googboog8
03-28-2009, 08:58 AM
it all depends on you actually.

there are people who come to vfs with previous 3d background and learn absolutely nothing apart from basic 3d animation. and there are those with finearts background and no 3d who come out with amazing demo reels.

then there are those with great background who come here for exposure and to brush up on their skills and they make a great demo reel.

then there are those who come in here with no skills at all and all left eating dust.

at the end of it, vfs is a money making organization, we never see any of the owners, they're probably sitting on an island in hawaii sipping cocktails. the teachers here aren't paid exceptional salaries and the fees is incredibly high considering that there's no assurance of a job once you finish.

BUT!
if you're lucky, you'll have a handful of people in your class, and make enough contacts while you're here to get a good boost that will help you get a job and become a better 3d artist

but no, it's not worth 50000 $ (thats the price for international students) it's just way too much for a one year course.

i just realized that my post is useless and i confused you more, probably, actually i'm a bit confused myself

Intervain
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
then there are those who come in here with no skills at all and all left eating dust.

well not all of them... I know a few people who knew nothing and left with quite a bit of knowledge and good reels. I personally knew nothing of 3d and had no art bg either and left with quite enough to get me a front page plug here and a job [though sure I still have a lot to learn].
I have to say you sound very bitter googboog8.

In the end it's all up to a student to make sure they don't come out eating dust and it's not a rule everyone without bg does! I knew some with bg and their reels left a lot to be desired...

googboog8
03-29-2009, 07:17 PM
well not all of them... I know a few people who knew nothing and left with quite a bit of knowledge and good reels. I personally knew nothing of 3d and had no art bg either and left with quite enough to get me a front page plug here and a job [though sure I still have a lot to learn].
I have to say you sound very bitter googboog8.

In the end it's all up to a student to make sure they don't come out eating dust and it's not a rule everyone without bg does! I knew some with bg and their reels left a lot to be desired...

not all, i was just saying that some people aren't able to handle it. it does depend on the student ( as i said in the first line of my post)

i also said it my posts that people with 3d background can come here and make a mess of it..

and i'm not bitter at all, on the contrary, i'm glad i joined vfs, except for the price i think it's the best thing i've done all my life. i was studying engineering before this and i was bitter then, i did it because i had no idea what i wanted to do straight after school so my parents put me there.

anyway, i actually have no gripes about vfs, i think the teachers here are helpful and anything you dont learn in class, you can ask them about later on and they always try and help you out. i think you misunderstood my post because everything in it was a bit random

kelgy
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Maybe recent graduates could post reviews at:
http://www.artschoolreviews.ca

Dont know who started it but its a good idea for an art school destination like Vancouver, which seems to have seen an explosion in schools opening.
Not many reviews there though.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.