PDA

View Full Version : Toy Concept #222

Ibeechu
03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I just finished my very first ever short film in Maya. I outline the details in the description of the video on Youtube, but I'll just reflect upon a few points.

I did everything on this movie. Everything, with two exceptions, which is the recording of the robot's motor whirring, and the blue brick texture on the walls. Aside from that, everything you see or hear in the movie was done by me. Up until last September, I knew nothing about anything about 3D. This, aside from a couple walk cycle tests, is the first animation I have ever done, and I did it completely by myself. Bear that in mind when critiquing. Saying things like, "The model isn't rigged correctly" or "There are some jumpcuts," those don't help at all. Mostly because I already know, and because this is all brand new to me. What I'm expecting are useful critiques, or things that aren't really connected to technical limitations. The model isn't rigged right because it's the first time I've fully rigged anything. The jumpcuts are there because I had 22 different scenes to stitch together, and I couldn't possibly make it perfect by myself, in the two months I spent from start to finish. Something someone said to me was that the movie was too long. Something like that is useful, even though I kind of already felt that it was moving pretty slowly.

I have learned a huge amount of stuff by immersing myself in this project, and I've found ways to make my next movie go much, much smoother. I hope you enjoy it, but even if you don't, I really hope you can appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si1xEcfbDpw

Also, re-reading it, it looks like I came off as a prick, which I wasn't trying to do. It's just that it really annoys me when someone expects it to be Pixar-quality, which it obviously isn't, and can't possibly be. Look at it realistically. I'm one guy, with 6 months of experience, who completed this is in two months. As far as I'm concerned, that's a monumental feat.

Ibeechu
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Also, I just noticed I should have posted this in the Finished ANimations section, not WIP. Sorry about that. Any mods care to move it?

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.