PDA

View Full Version : 3d Modelling and sculpting schools

Womball
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
What are the names all of the Modeling and sculpting schools in the US?

Womball
04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
There are none? I think there is one at Gnomon college. I just haven't had a chance to do any research yet.

Rebeccak
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
No offense Nathan, but in the 4 years you've been a part of cgtalk you've not acquired the ability to answer your own question? ;) Start with Google

Womball
04-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I googled it. Not many choices so far :-(. Gnomon, Full Sail, freedom of teach, and maybe CDIA of Boston college. Also what the course would be called in a little tricky. Game Art has to have 3d modelling courses in it. I haven't seen digital sculpting and 3d modelling as a specific majors though. I think for me I will probably just do some classes, like continuing education. There are some courses tought by Ian joyner, that I would like to take. I'd really like to take a class in topology flow theory , and topology and UV's for game art. After that if my work isn't up to snuff to land a job, where I want, I may have to consider VFS.

I will keep looking for more info and post it here.

Rebeccak
04-08-2009, 05:33 AM
My advice is to build your traditional sculpting skills concurrently - in this economy, I don't think it makes sense for anyone to jump into massive debt to go to a private college when the traditional side of things may be the biggest hurdle (how you see and judge proportional relationships et al) - I'd say to try to develop concurrent traditional skills on the side until things in the economy get better, and timeframe is anyone's guess. Honestly I think it's just smarter to give oneself time to develop skills in a reasonable amount of time (vs. a one year $50,000 VFS course where there are no guarantees, I've seen crappy reels from there apart from the great, flashy ones) at a reasonable cost (sic community colleges) - don't just be another number that 'goes for their dreams', but blindly so. Be wise and think long term, is my best advice.

DanielWray
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I couldnt agree more with Rebecca, if your situation permit's take a course that cover's traditional art (drawing, sculpting etc) aswell as the technical side's of CGI.

The best way to get ahead in this industry is to have the drive to learn and develop by yourself, ofcourse schools will help with understanding how modeling and animation work, but the majority will only teach you the tools and the very very basic concepts i.e. what a polygon is, what a vertex is etc.

It'll be upto you to push yourself to learn topology, learn how edge flow works for models. You honestly cannot learn everything there is to know about modeling in 1 year, infact it'll take several year's of intensive studying and practice to reach the top level artists. So a 1 year course isnt much time to take in the information and process it until it becomes second nature.

I honestly think you'd benefit by studying for 2/3 or even 4 year's (in england, we have a computer animation courses which run for 4 years). With this you'll be able to get heavily involved with the technical aspects of the software aswell as learning how to manage time, business and project plans. In your spare time (4 years of it!) you'll be able to self develop your skills in modeling and other subjects that you may find interesting.

This way you will come out with a lot more experience across the board than a year at VFS, you'll have longer to polish your demo reel, you'll have found out the best way to teach yourself new subjects (nurbs modeling, polygon modeling etc). Aswell as having those 4 years to make connections in the industry and too build up a solid portfolio.

Also during those years of studying you could take sculpting and life drawing classes, this will benefit your modeling more than anything. It doesnt matter how perfect you can model a mesh, if you dont understand shape and form, then you'll find it very hard to keep up with the profressional modelers.

EDIT: i thought i recongised your name from blender artists. I remember seeing that human muscle sculpt, you did a pretty good job on it :)

Womball
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you!

As for another 4 years, no. I was in college for a BFA in animation already still paying off some loans. And at college I gained like 30 pounds which I'm still trying to lose (made some great progress the last two weeks though). I do plan on taking figure drawing classes soon, with live models. I plan to fill my portfolio with anatomy drawings, character modelling and sculpting. Maybe some animation, but no animated shorts.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.