this is my first thread here :)

i need some critique ;)
http://home.pages.at/janus/gfx/stills/staircase5.jpg

done in cinema4d

cya, janus

Inktvlek
07-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey,
the composition here looks pretty good, but you need to work a bit on the textures and bumpmaps.... Right now the staircase looks like it's made of polished plastic, or marble, whereas I think you want it to be made of wood, right? If it's painted wood (since it's grey) then I suggest taking another texture aswell... right now it doesn't look very realistic anyway.
I recommend using a bump map for the walls aswell (and a texture) it'll help to make it more realistic!

janus
07-09-2003, 08:23 PM
thanks for your suggestions, but i really meant it to look as if made out of marble :)

further comments welcome!

Aldaryn
07-09-2003, 09:01 PM
The scene concept is not bad, but some hard tuning on the lightning and textures shold be done:

Firs of all, Some bump map still would be nice on the marble, along with some glossiness maps in connectiopn with bump, to make the marble look more realistic, right now, it seems to be plastic, rather than marble... (Too flat the surface is...)
The walls shold also have some soft bump, a nice stucco maybe?

The lightning is a bit wierd, I can see the light blub (which could be a bit bigger) illuminatng the staircase, but the composition falls apart because of the illuminated spot under the staircase. Like the light would "miss" casting shadows back there.

It is obvious, you're using secondary lights to illuminate, so try using more lights, close to the walls (where the light of the blub would bounce off) with small intenses, and with a tinted light, and with soft shadow, (shadowmaps with greater bias...)
And one really dimm light in the center (or two) to add some ambient with shadows.
And try to eliminate the mentioned light spot, it tears the composition apart...

Sorry if this felt a bit too much of a critique, but you've asked for it! ;)

Have fun working on it, and good luck!

janus
07-09-2003, 09:17 PM
no need to apologize for critique here :)

yeah, i actually thought about the lightning seems to look a bit weird, too...
there is a distant-light at the left, illuminating the whole scene.
the "shadows" beneath the stairs are just objects with black-fog-textures on them and as i had the idea to simulate the light being emitted from the left i added this lightspot leaving the "black-fog-shadows" out below the middle stairs

i'll try to get a better lightning scene and improve the textures with some bumps, like you suggested

ps: if this thread is not the right place for a n00b ;) to look for help or some suggestions that really change half the scene i'm sorry :shrug:

Gatling
07-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Everything can be excused, except for the obvious lack of shadowing. I have very limited knowledge of C4D, but make sure that you have all shadowing options active (In LightWave this is in Remder Options).

zeromancer1972
07-10-2003, 01:18 AM
servus janus!

the scene is good, but IMO a bit overlit - the lack of shadows emphasize this, too.
suggestions: lower the ambient light, take more care of the light at the wall (the bulb). add to this one volumetric light and try to cast shadows in the front part of the stairs and hand rail)

keep going :)

@ gatling: even c4d could do better with the shadowing as i know this prog quite well...

janus
07-10-2003, 01:19 PM
ok, thx guys for you suggestions, i will start improving right away..

one more note: the ambient light was supposed not to cast any shadows... thought it would look nice but if you think there's a lack of shadows i will change that

greetz, janus

wedge
07-10-2003, 11:56 PM
there is far too little detail. the lighting is bland, and the textures are quite poor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.