PDA

View Full Version : New Core info and Videos released

LW3D
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
check

www.newtek.com/core (http://www.newtek.com/core)

GaryDXD
03-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Jeez, the more they show the more I'm convinced at just how behind they are. That program won't be ready in 5 years let alone the end of this year.

RobertoOrtiz
03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Ok so what would you suggest they do?

Right Now New Tek is in a dammed if they do , dammed if they don't position.
In order to keep up with the currecnt development in cg they had to srtat from the ground up.
Considering their history I am convinced they will make the EOY dateline.

And to be fair, as a longtime user I am please with what I am seeing right now from them.

-R

wwade
03-26-2009, 09:17 PM
9.6 is useable and CORE is in a place to leap frog quickly.

JPWestmas
03-27-2009, 01:48 AM
The nay sayers are looking for feature counts. That's reasonable in some regard but that doesn't mean NT isn't doing a good job. The foundation of Core alone has better performance than many of the applications on the market today because of the fact those applications that were written 9 10 years ago still have old code within the very "Core" of them. So in case anyone was wondering why NT calls this brand spanking new program "CORE", that's why.

gEarMon
03-27-2009, 04:38 AM
What would I suggest they do? Start about 8 years ago with the development of CORE about the time the old team left to start Modo. From what I gather that was the fundamental cause of the split. The old team wanted to immediately rewrite Lightwave and abandon where it was. While Newtek wanted to continue developing Lightwave alongside a re-write of the system. I'm just wondering why they only started 2 years ago with the new system.

I don't suggest they do anything, I'm just letting you know my perspective. And my perspective is that they are a long ways from home.

BTW: I was a Nay Sayer about the RED camera as well. And hey, here we are 3 years later and the number one blockbuster movie "Knowing" was shot on RED. So take what I say with a grain of salt :-)

Also, I personally love Lightwave and have made a great living with it over the past 14 years. I want to see it succeed more than you know.

royg
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
The foundation of Core alone has better performance than many of the applications on the market today because of the fact those applications that were written 9 10 years ago still have old code within the very "Core" of them.Hmmm that's strange - code I had written 10 years ago executed just as fast then as it does now. Just because it was written a while ago doesn't mean that its inherently slow. People could program efficiently 10 years ago.

HarverdGrad
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I threw in the towel to 3D as a hobby. The pricing has gotten retarded across all fronts. Subscription based without any timeline guarantee of releases, or detailed schedule for the coming year? No thanks... that's too easy and let's the various Software houses off the hook.

I've gone back to 2D (Artrage, and SketchPad Pro). My 3D urge is covered by Blender :thumbsup:

Tama
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
What would I suggest they do? Start about 8 years ago with the development of CORE about the time the old team left to start Modo. From what I gather that was the fundamental cause of the split. The old team wanted to immediately rewrite Lightwave and abandon where it was. While Newtek wanted to continue developing Lightwave alongside a re-write of the system. I'm just wondering why they only started 2 years ago with the new system.

snip .

fwiw, the old team split and have been busy with their own recreation/rewrite/redo of what they would have likely done had they got the go ahead from Newtek. They still haven't been able to get it fully equipped with animation tools with all the time they've spent so far over the course of the eight years you mention.
Expect Core to take time with its development as well.

JPWestmas
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Hmmm that's strange - code I had written 10 years ago executed just as fast then as it does now. Just because it was written a while ago doesn't mean that its inherently slow. People could program efficiently 10 years ago.

Uhh are you kidding? Funny. I meant that code written and optimized for today's hardware especially in regards to GUP and CPU multithreading is going to have better performance over a program that was written 10 years ago.

gEarMon
03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
fwiw, the old team split and have been busy with their own recreation/rewrite/redo of what they would have likely done had they got the go ahead from Newtek. They still haven't been able to get it fully equipped with animation tools with all the time they've spent so far over the course of the eight years you mention.
Expect Core to take time with its development as well.

That's exactly what I was saying and have been saying. CORE is where Modo was 8 years ago! Maybe Newtek has a larger more sophisticated staff than the original developers of Lightwave and Modo and can do in a couple of years what it has taken Luxology 8 to do. I hope they can.

vonbon
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
i know one thing, when autodesk start pimpn they user cause they can, then they will take a look at LW.

Its what manopolies do :surprised

Newtek needs to take there time, while the others will be catching up their core NTs will be done and then they can focus on innovation.

You want see this in autodesk products for a while because at the moment they have no competiton so there is no need to until ppl start moving to LW or Blender or some other app.

For instance, the power company wanna charge more, they do and you have no choice but to pay them what they want. manopolies ruin economies and innovation, cause once they see they have control, since 9 times out of 10 they are ran by greedy bastards they will just want to make more money selling you the same crap over and over again. only when they start losing business will they want to do somthing benificial and thats just to get you buying again.

big studios will suffer eventually if they keep throwing their money down that "PIGS" mouth.

RobertoOrtiz
03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
That's exactly what I was saying and have been saying. CORE is where Modo was 8 years ago! Maybe Newtek has a larger more sophisticated staff than the original developers of Lightwave and Modo and can do in a couple of years what it has taken Luxology 8 to do. I hope they can.

That is not the point of Core.

Ok let me put it this way...
The idea behing CORE is a development infrastructure.
The idea behing this is that Tools withing this infrastructure should be
easy to develop by both professionals and casual users.

What makes this revolutionary is that this changes the CORE philosophy behind Lightwave.

It is as I said before a 3D tool development infrastructure that will allow the NewTek staff, the LW userbase and plug in developers to fill the "holes" in the program with ease.

softdistortion
03-28-2009, 04:37 AM
From what I recall, there's at least a bit of similarity between the way the structure of CORE is described and the way Lux was describing Modo/Nexus a few years ago. ...revolutionary?? :shrug:

JPWestmas
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
From what I recall, there's at least a bit of similarity between the way the structure of CORE is described and the way Lux was describing Modo/Nexus a few years ago. ...revolutionary?? :shrug:

We'll see how revolutionary Core will be when people actually start to use it. Writing down a road map for software, merely talking about features, and keeping score in this regard has nothing to do with actually making and measuring better or more creative CG design/ tools.

Cageman
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Lets look at it from another perspective then;

The same SDK used by the developers of CORE will be avaliable for third party developers. I think that will set things in perspective...

softdistortion
03-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Lets look at it from another perspective then;

The same SDK used by the developers of CORE will be avaliable for third party developers. I think that will set things in perspective...

that is an advantage!
Still, I think that would be a disaster until the core is stable.

evenflcw
03-29-2009, 03:45 AM
that is an advantage!
Still, I think that would be a disaster until the core is stable.

What's the disaster? Any decent coder would certainly try to separate the proprietary part and logic of his code from the interface used. At most it will just be a nuisance to have to rename native calls/variables used in the code or add more layers to the code. And it's not like all plugins end up being several thousands lines of code. Most of them are short, and native calls will be a small portion of the code (ok that depends on the nature of the plugin; in advanced one it will be a fraction; in simple macro-like plugins it will be alot), and thus be easy to find and replace.

It might be a disaster for the plugin users, IF they become to dependant and the 3rd party isn't speedy enough to update. But everyone would be aware of the fact that plugins might break and need mending because CORE is a WIP. They'll have to exchange some trust between one another.

I'd rather have a changing sdk (within reason) asap to work with than none at all.

EDIT: Corrected spelling.

softdistortion
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
...It might be a disaster for the plugin users...
Yeah, that's the kind of disaster I had in mind.

lukasdesign
03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
what happens now to Lightwave has to happen to every major 3d app: the total rewrite..in order to leverage nowadays hardware possibilities and artist's demands. SideFX opened the game, and they did a great job! XSI got ICE, Lightwave and even Blender will follow. Core to me looks like a catch up with Modo modeling plus, total leverage of multiple cpu cores, an and the integration of some industry standards like Python etc.
All these changes will allow LW to keep pace with other packages!

gizmo1990
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Just seen the vids. I'm sorry but my original thoughts stand. How can Newtek possibly hope to convince people with this? Features and abilities available years ago on other platforms? Features so ubiquitous that announcing them in your first wave of videos makes your product look like a my first 3D app? Incredible.

Newtek please, unless you've got something worthwhile to show... why show it!?

Tama
03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Just seen the vids. I'm sorry but my original thoughts stand.

How can Newtek possibly hope to convince people with this?

Features and abilities available years ago on other platforms? Features so ubiquitous that announcing them in your first wave of videos makes your product look like a my first 3D app? Incredible.

Newtek please, unless you've got something worthwhile to show... why show it!?

Maybe Newtek is trying to convince people that they are working on laying down a foundation and here are a few videos of what the early work looks like so far. Not much they can do if people like yourself go into a apolplectic hissy fit acting as if what they're showing is the finished product. Pretty dumb.

bearfoot
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
only 12 hours to go before the official end of Q1 so the beta release should be available to those who subscribed..

its very exciting !

webhead
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I am really struggling over this decision. I really want to see CORE, and Newtek succeed, and I can see the potential in what Newtek is trying to do here. I truly can. Relatively speaking, it's astronomically more affordable when compared to the "big boys." For some of us, Maya, XSI, Houdini, and 3DS Max aren't even an option. And, yes, it would be nice to be a small part of the development process. I just don't know if I can justify taking a noticeable chunk out of my budget for something that hold's great promise, but at this time, can only offer few specifics. I still don't even use Lightwave in it's present form to it's full potential right now. I also own ZBrush, and Modo, so feel I am pretty set for modeling applications currently. I just don't know when CORE will offer me something I just can't live without, or will even use.
I understand character animation, and particles are not first priority for CORE right now. But, for my needs, they are. I wish I knew more about what to expect and when to expect it from CORE's development to give me that extra push, but it's just way too early, and there are too many factors to call it at this stage.

vonbon
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
LW is already know for its speed. Once it has all the bells and whistles of the Autodesk apps included with the speed i think alot will change there minds.

If a production house can cut their production time by half then it is very well worth switching over even it isnt innovative yet.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.