PDA

View Full Version : Best compositing package

Crushar
03-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi all,

I tried searching for the above in the forums but kept getting a blank screen.

I was wondering what the best package for compositing live and 3d elements together, audio editing, the ability to cut & time stretch clips and exporting to mov. Alot our work is also purely 3d output with probably no more than 5-6 layers per shot (beauty, AO, shadows, reflections etc).

Our projects vary in size so the final footage ranges from 5 minutes up to 26 minutes.

At the moment we use a combination of Combustion 2008 and Premier Pro but Premier is having difficulty with anything over 5-10 minutes of footage.

Our editing machine is an off the shelf PC, dual core 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, xp pro 32 bit. The source files are accessed from our file server comped up and saved again to the server.

Our budget is probably under $10k (more like $5k) so a hardware/software setup may be out of our reach at this point in time.

Apologies if this has been posted previously, as mentioned above the search wasnt liking me today.

Thanks

danielHinton
03-27-2009, 09:20 PM
for the price of a hardware upgrade and a new software package, probably after effects - seeing as you want audio editing too. the new version ships with mochaAE, which is an excellent tracking solution.

failing that, I'd say either toxik or nuke - they're the new kinds on the block from what I can tell, and are robust enough to grow with you.

dan

lazzhar
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
At the moment we use a combination of Combustion 2008 and Premier Pro but Premier is having difficulty with anything over 5-10 minutes of footage.

I don't work on editing, but I'm just curious if this makes sense. Isn't Premiere a good editor as much as FinalCut or it's out of competition?