PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Grasshopper

Nelis
07-09-2003, 12:52 PM
hi folks,

maybe some of you allready seen this model in 3dtotal, 3dgate or co-art gallery, but i recently thought it would be cool to make an animation with it.

it is my first real animated character, so say what you think of it

have fun.

here it is: link (http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/Grasshopper.avi)

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/final_jpg_00030.jpg

Riptyde
07-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Well....what you have so far looks pretty good, but there really isn't much to crit on.

I encourage you to add to it. Maybe after he moves off the drawing, he starts moving his wings and works up to flying off the camera.

Just an Idea.

Riptyde

mattmos
07-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Looks lovely. Animation-wise, I feel that he should be trying to push off his back legs more. Grasshoppers are a lot quicker than that also, maybe he could jump out of shot and the camera pans round to catch up? Just a suggestion...

Binge
07-09-2003, 05:15 PM
What people can't make with some wire!?!?

The material of the grasshopper looks very real to me! Did you used the standard renderer in Max or someting else?

I presume that the wooden thing in the background is a wooden duck? maybe you can animate that one too!!! those ducks are so cool!!! I used to have one when I was young!!!

I love to see more of this stuff!!! Simple but cool!!!
:rolleyes:

LWManiac
07-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey dude :D Niels right ? I was in your class. Used to
hang out with felix and mark, with who i made shorty ... remember ? :hmm:

anyway, nice animation with nice lighting. Too bad it is
so short. Hope to see this end up in a longer version.

Btw. didn't know this was your model hehe. I've seen
it before and really liked it.

Nelis
07-09-2003, 06:16 PM
thnx, lwmaniac.

comments on your short "shorty" it was one of the better pieces on school. you work with lightwave right?

this was really supposed to be a test animation but made more than that so i could use it in my showreel. maybe il make a longer version. if i can find my time.......

only one problem is that the wings are out of one piece (olso in the original) and it cant fly. so one possibility less.. il see.

i also got a bike made out of wires in the same way.

im on to the next animation project so.....

greets...

Kinetix
07-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Wow dude! that looks terriffic! It almost looks like a real camcorder movie. Well done, and also the walk animation is very realistic

Sebastian
07-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Very nice...I like it!!

I like the grasshopper model, even though he's made of wires, you really get the sense he's a living creature..

Nice textures and lighting also...though I do have a crit about one of your textures.. The texture you used on the side of the book, it's a bit to clean..make it look a bit more used and it looks way more realistic!

And I agree with Riptyde, you should lenghten the animation....let something happen..

Keep it up!!

Sebastian.

Floyd Kurio
07-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Good first animation, I agree with some of the other comments that more emphasis could be placed on more character movement. However, if the intended goal of the project was placed on the camcorder effect - the results work. The only thing I would suggest is that the light position cast shadows away from the viewer indicating that the light is behind me. Their is no cast shadow of the viewer, although my (recording) position would seem to dictate one. The light position could be moved to eliminate my nit picking problem. Keep up the good work.

UnlikelyCorny
07-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Hello, I like your animation. But...There are a few issues with your model. Next time you may want to use a reference like for instance: grasshopperreference (http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/PHAGE/pages/Grasshopper_JPG.htm)

Here you'll see what I mean. The body of a grasshopper is normally segmented and not spiral based like you've made it. Your body looks more like a metal spring (although that could be due to the texturing of course). The legs have corners build in, a bit like knees. That way the grasshopper can jump quite suddenly. Your legs are more like iron wire and possibly due to that your grasshopper has a bit of a stiff jump to it. As for the wings...Grashoppers normally do not have sponsors, so you won't find text on their wings. Other than that I think your animation is great. I love the realism of the duck, the flooring etc.

Great stuff

Inktvlek
07-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
Hello, I like your animation. But...There are a few issues with your model. Next time you may want to use a reference like for instance: grasshopperreference (http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/PHAGE/pages/Grasshopper_JPG.htm)

Here you'll see what I mean. The body of a grasshopper is normally segmented and not spiralbased like you've made it. Your body looks more like a metal spring (although that could be due to the texturing of course). The legs have corners build in, a bit like knees. That way the grasshopper can jump quit suddenly. your legs are more like ironwire and possibly due to that your grasshopper has a bit of a stiff jump to it. As for the wings...Grashoppers normally do not have sponsors, so you won't find text on their wings. Other than that I think your animation is great. I love the realism of the duck, the flooring etc.

Great stuff brilliant :)

Nelis
07-09-2003, 11:13 PM
ok here some explenation to avoid more of those misunderstandings.......

unlikelycorny: i hope you have seen that it is supposed to be a metal grasshopper. as long as metal grasshoppers dont exist it is completely mind based. by the way i used a real model exactly like this one for reference, that came from africa and was made by a boy living there.

and no offense but i think it is not good to point people to certain things. i obviously didn't post it here to get crits on grasshopper realness, but more on the animation as a whole.... everybody has its own creations, but ok i know you didn't know this existed....

thnx anyway

UnlikelyCorny
07-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Nelis
ok here some explenation to avoid more of those misunderstandings.......

unlikelycorny: i hope you have seen that it is supposed to be a metal grasshopper.

I'm absolutely sorry, I could not resist. It is of course far from professional to joke, but I just had to do it. Don't worry, I'll seek professional help.....

Jokes apart, I love the animation, love to see more.

Sorry jongen, ik kon het niet laten, je moet maar zo denken je staat weer bovenaan pagina 1. Ps; post um ook ff op www.3dhype.com

ChrisNeuhahn
07-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey, mack.

Looks really good up to the hop. The hop needs more snap. It should pop up quicker, slow at the top of the arc, then come down.

Rock on.

Nelis
07-12-2003, 09:44 AM
he corny dude, bedankt voor het adress wist het nog niet.

geeft niet van de grap, wel veel dutch people hier.

chris, thnx, maybe i will change that one day........

OlafK
07-12-2003, 12:34 PM
looks cool, impressive how realistic it looks :)

Copy and paste
07-13-2003, 05:40 AM
looks nice..though u can fix some timing issues .

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.