PDA

View Full Version : Super Noob - How do I get started?

MaeflowerJ
03-26-2009, 02:42 AM
First, I'd like to say that I've done some pretty extensive searching through the threads. I've read the sticky: IMPORTANT: "Which 3D app should I use?" Threads... (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=19315) but, most of the links and information there is way outdated with broken links a'plenty. I know it's generally not allowed to ask which program to use, but I can't find the information anywhere.
That being said, I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice on learning the first steps of 3D modeling. I plan on going into the 3D modeling course at VFS but thought I should try and learn a bit first. I have a pretty strong foundation in 2D already, but have never worked with 3D before. I have Blender and have started through the manual and tutorials, but I was wondering if there is another way of learning.
I have access to many of the standard programs, and may even begin with a trial of a few.
Mudbox seems pretty simple for a beginner. Blender seems too confusing for me at the moment, but I'm sure once I get into 3D a bit more, it will come to me.
I'm not looking to produce high quality results, I just want to start into it with relatively little headaches. Can anyone suggest a particular program that's pretty easy for an absolute beginner? Or a good website that has tutorials/exercises for super-noobs?

In case of thread-lock, please PM me with any suggestions. I don't want to start any arguments over which program is the best. I just need some help please. I've been searching for weeks and finally just decided to ask.
Thanks!

Minnerva
03-26-2009, 04:08 AM
not sure how far into starting have you done, i think this helped me get started along with the comments from people in this forum.

hope this helps, its for organic with real features, i was having problems with making other organics such as anime but got lots of help here.

Here is the link (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp).

gsokol
03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
The link he sent you is a good start. I think it is where a lot of people start actually (including myself). My advice to you would be to keep doing tutorials. That way you can not only learn how to do new things, but see how other people do things you already know how to do. Then just experiement. Take what you learn and apply it to other things. I hope this helps.

MaeflowerJ
03-27-2009, 04:51 AM
I think I've seen that tutorial before. I never had access to 3DSMax, but now I do. I'll try it out. But keep in mind I've never touched 3D before so I'll have to figure out the basics of the program and the concepts first.
Thanks. Any additional links are helpful.

razeverius
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
hhmm not a max user but i've seen some 3D max tutorials over here when I look for Maya tutorials. Hope this can help0 you :) http://www.free3dtutorials.com/beginners/3d-max/

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.