PDA

View Full Version : Animation Mentor

The-13
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I will be graduating this May with a BFA in traditional animation in hopes of being a character animator. I love drawing and strongly value my traditional skills. That being said, there aren't many animation jobs these days still using pencil on paper. I was considering enrolling in the Animation Mentor program to learn and refine my skill with the hopes of entering 3D animation. I'd like to hear some feedback from people who have been or are enrolled/involved in the Animation Mentor program. For someone with three+ years of traditional schooling in animation would much of the AM be simply review? Was it worth the money? Should I just try to struggle with maya and learn it myself? Any feedback would be awesome

Thanks,
Sky

MrPositive
03-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I will be graduating this May with a BFA in traditional animation in hopes of being a character animator. I love drawing and strongly value my traditional skills. That being said, there aren't many animation jobs these days still using pencil on paper. I was considering enrolling in the Animation Mentor program to learn and refine my skill with the hopes of entering 3D animation. I'd like to hear some feedback from people who have been or are enrolled/involved in the Animation Mentor program. For someone with three+ years of traditional schooling in animation would much of the AM be simply review? Was it worth the money? Should I just try to struggle with maya and learn it myself? Any feedback would be awesome

Thanks,
Sky

Hi Sly,
There is a massive AM thread just above in the Sub Forums, located under the Online courses section.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=289&t=147156
My colleague and we've had 5 students, have now completed the program here at IUPUI. We also had two that did not finish. Unfortunately, without seeing your demo reel of animations, it will be hard for anyone to judge whether it will be beneficial or not. Saying that, considering it's more than likely one of the top character animation training programs in the world, you will most likely improve. Know that it is extremely intense and as mentioned beforehand, a couple of our students burned out. It's also from what I hear very pricey, but frankly, you are definitely getting what you pay for, considering you are being mentored by people from Pixar, Disney, ILM, etc. You should find plenty more in the thread to whet your appetite.

The-13
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
thanks for the link! Sorry for the apparently double post.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.