PDA

View Full Version : arm ik is not sticking to my joint?

Levitateme
07-09-2003, 07:25 AM
arm ik is not sticking to my joint? i attached this image showing what i did. the ik that is not working right, or not working how i want to is the ik in my hand. any ideas?

http://home.bresnan.net/~planetofsound/WebHelp/IKhelp.gif

SpaceFork
07-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Try parenting both those IKs to the same object (WristIK_Constraint?) and then moving that object.

ngrava
07-14-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I've been running into this as well all over the place in Maya 5. I don't understand it at all. All my characters that I made in 4.5 don't seem to work the way they did. It's very frustrating. I'm sure AW have some reason for making it this way but you'd think there'd be some mention in the docs. It's a major feature change and no one I've talked to seems to be able to explain why it's there. So, I've just assumed it was because of the new IK/FK which I have yet to find useful yet. :P

The way I've been getting around it though is by making the IK handles "sticky" (IK Handle Properties). That seems to make it work like expected. But it doesn't always work... Actually, I'm pretty peeved about this whole thing and I wonder why I don't see many people mentioning it more often.

Levitateme
07-14-2003, 02:35 AM
thanks ngrava, i fixed my problem awhile ago. i turned off the enable ik/fk. i thought it was still off, i guess not though.

ngrava
07-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Ugh! Now I feel like a dork! Sorry for ranting about the IK/FK. I had no idea there was an IK/FK enable in the menu... Doh~! Just turned it off now.... Man!

-=GB=-

Levitateme
07-14-2003, 04:22 AM
??? your not a dork no one seems to know about it. Bentlamma wrote a script to fix the ik so its like 4.5 its on highend. i would post a link except it never seems to work when copying from hignend. shouldnt be hard to find though.

Quizboy
07-19-2003, 11:15 PM
What are you working on these days Levi?

rstratton
07-20-2003, 03:57 AM
i noticed the same thing when i first started using maya 5, in 4.5 and the lower versions "sticky" was on my default and now for some reason in version 5 they turn it off by default...and then they don't tell you that in any of the whats new in maya 5 stuff....also has anyone had a problem with the ikSCsolver flipping if you try to use it in a leg setup

Levitateme
07-20-2003, 04:18 AM
idigim, i have never had it flip. i am following jason schleifers dvds. everything seems to work just fine. does your joints have rotations on them before you put IK on them? my friend who is a great great animator told me that you just have to rotate the roll...i forget maya isnt open. but he siad if it flips just rotate the roll to like 90. im sureif you have maya open you know what im talking about.

hi quizboy, im working on a dynastes beatle, im adding some fine details to the low poly before i start workign on its normal map. i learend alot about normal maps from a guy who works for the people who made heavy metal fakk 2. he showed me alot. so im doing that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.