PDA

View Full Version : Doing it all in MB??

Fuzatron
07-09-2003, 05:01 AM
The Wings FBX plugin (beta) was just released. So far no problems. BUT once I get my model in how do I go about adding bones and weights? All the tuts I have seen assume that you did this in another app. I did look in the online docs, but the info on this is very fragmented... Any tips or links would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks! :)

milqman
07-09-2003, 06:16 AM
good question, i also would like to know :)

policarpo
07-09-2003, 06:44 AM
just use LightWave to rig your model Fuz...you do have LW right? i seem to recall that you do. :)

check it out:
thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=67579)

Fuzatron
07-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Hey Poli-- This is true :)
And that thread is priceless :thumbsup:

I have managed to use LightWave and Dave's skeleton to get a model from Wings into MB. But a lot of what I will be doing may just be rendered straight out of MB. So I wanted to see what I could do without fussing with LW.

oh yeah... I also know of some other Wings users only having Wings as their only source for FBX.

policarpo
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm sure you could just rig it in MB just fine.

Since Wings doesn't have bones, you'll have to do your rigging in an app which offers bones, or learn to do it in MB. Not many of the VTM's cover that...but maybe it's somewhere in the manual...i don't have mine handy, but check the knowledge desk @ the Kaydara site...i think you can download most, if not all the reference books.

Michel Besner
07-09-2003, 11:37 PM
A tutorial on boning and skinning in MOTIONBUILDER will be soon available in our knowledge base (end of july - early august)

M.

policarpo
07-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Awesome!

Will it cover something like this:

1. Model in LW
2. Set up custom bones in LW
3. Export to MB
4. Rig and skin character in MB based on imported geometry and bones
5. Export .FBX
6. Merge back into LW and render.

I only ask because I know that there are serious issues with getting MB derived bones and such into LW.

thanks. :beer:

Mangled Poly
07-10-2003, 12:58 AM
poli i hope so wieghts in lw always seems to mess up alot: /

Fuzatron
07-10-2003, 01:02 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I hope it covers how to add bones within MB.... A lot of Wingers would be greatful I'm sure :buttrock:

VodkaBoy
07-10-2003, 08:36 AM
To rig a model in MB, I think this should work...

- Import your mesh..

- Create a skeleton in MB out of box elements or Bones (drag and drop from the element panel. (bones appear as sphere elements until you parent them when the 'bone' structure appears)

- Open the 'Skin' Window (From Model\Skins in the top menu)

- Alt Drag your mesh into the model list

- Alt Drag your bones (or just the ones you wish to work with) into the bones list.

- In the main view press 'v' to enter vertex selection mode.

- Select some vertices and then assign the weights using the sliders on the right.

Hopefully that should work, not sure about getting it out of MB though, I haven't used wings....

Hope that helps..
VodkaBoy

Fuzatron
07-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Best explanation I have seen so far!
Thanks VB :thumbsup:

LoTekK
07-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Nice explanation. Short and sweet. :)

VodkaBoy
07-11-2003, 07:34 AM
No problem guys, I'm looking forward to seeing the results...

fig
07-11-2003, 04:17 PM
i'm guessing from the description of "boning and skinning in MB" that it'll cover creating bones in MB and not LW. we don't all have LW around ;)

thanks for the info vodkaboy, i'll do some playing and report back if i figure anything out :thumbsup:

chris

Fuzatron
07-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Is there anyway around having to use weights? I don't have to use them when I bring in something from LightWave... They are easy enough to assign in MB, but seem to be difficult to manipulate.

Can multiple bones share one weightmap?

I assigned the same weightmap to 3 bones in an arm. Each at about 33%. But when I move one bone the whole arm moves.

I probably just need to study the docs some more this weekend. But I would appreciate any and all tips!

Can't wait for that tut :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.