PDA

View Full Version : Need a little starting direction

jfharper
03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know what to search for on this subject, so if someone could offer a little starting advice, I could take it from there.

I'll be making a 3d animation with objects and camera movement...I'd like to give the animation to the editor where they will overlay video clips onto the 3d animation in spots...I was thinking of making some sort of green screen matted areas of the objects where the editor could put clip 1 in matte area 1, clip 2 in area 2, etc. But the editor will need to track the 3d camera motion with the editor package or plugin. I think they have after effects, and I saw something called Track Matte. Basically the above is a reverse composite...instead of having 3d over video, it is video over 3d in editing with the catch of having the clips stay within the mattes as the mattes move.

Mind you, this is not the same as camera tracking in 3d, where I am matching 3d camera motion to video camera motion...the video is just going to play inside a matte as the 3d scene moves around...like let's say video clip 1 is of a person speaking, and I create a sphere in 3d, and overlay a 3d texture matte where I'd like clip 1 to sit...well an easy way would be to have video clip put in the 3d as a texture, but textures are not as clear as having the clip overlaid in editing...in addtion, we'd like to have the clip zoom to fill the entire screen when the 3d camera comes to it...so the sphere is not visible, then the 3d camera moves to show the sphere with the video overlaid, the 3d camera slows down but keeps moving slowly, as the clip zooms to fill the screen...the video continues for a while then zooms back small again on the sphere, then the 3d camera moves away from this sphere to show another sphere with clip 2, etc. Mind you the spheres will be other objects more interesting, but for our discussion I thought I'd keep it simple.

Anyone know of a suggestion here?

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2009, 06:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.