PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Neutron Textures?

sqitso
07-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Hey guys.. Another lame question from the schitso. I am focused mainly on animation, so forgive the noob texture terminology. How were the textures/materials done for the Jimmy Neutron characters? I love that very cartoony look without the cell shading aspect of things. I can't figure out if the characters had generic materials assigned, or if texture maps were made or what. I would like to make one of my characters looks very similar to Jimmy Neutron but can't figure out how nor do I know where to look.

P.S. What exactly is a procedural texture?

Thanks

devin
07-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Procedurals are the mathematically created surfaces that you can apply from within LW such as fractals, crust, wood, grid, etc. as opposed to image maps which would include images that you've scanned/created and imported into LW and applied.

As for Jimmy Neutron, I can't quite recall the look for the movie that well. Maybe the dvd could offer some insight.

Carm3D
07-09-2003, 05:59 AM
I don't think there was any cell shading for Jimmy Neutron. If memory serves, the surfaces were all pretty basic. -at least until they get into space [hope I'm not ruining anything for anyone].

Get the DVD and you can see for yourself. Over and over again.

ambassador
07-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Yeah the majority of the surfaces were basic, no really any actual cell shading. The look which you speak of is acquired primarily by the great lighting:wip:

CG.p
07-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Most of the characters had quite a few layers to the texture. There was a lot of procedurals that were managed with alpha maps. This was used a LOT in the textures.

No cel shading was used.

inakito
07-09-2003, 10:46 AM
a procedural texture is exactly, a 3d texture. Non a planar texture on 2d

Nemoid
07-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, it depends.
if u look in surface editor (wich is he editor i like the most!) u find easy to apply procedurals textures of different kind, wich, if used well, are very good, expecially using them also as alpha maps to give some more "chaos" and natural look.u can put them in layers and decide the power of layer to mix them, or change the applying fusion method similarly to photoshop directly in Lw, or set some interesting properties like incidence angle. really, there is a lot to test there.also, they are not only for colors but for diffusion, specularity, bump and all the other channels u find in every material when u open surf editor.

coupled to all this power (if used well u can do quite the 50% work with procedurals) u can couple or use instead of procedurals, painted textures in photoshop from wich u can obtain all that u want exactly how u want.infact u can produce different maps for every channel of your surface.
actually they are better than procedurals, because they are specific maps u make for your surface, personalizing it at the best level.also, they require less power to your system to render in many cases.

the aspect of a material depends not only from the color and diffusion of light level, but from all the different channels u find wich reproduce phisical behaviour of a material in terms of light absorbance and how the light rays bounce on them etc.
so every channel have its importance on reproducing a specific material.

in Jimmy Neutron i noticed a good work with procedurals for the base, and also some good work with painted textures as well. cel shading works good to get anime like look of rendering and wasn't used there.

a procedural texture is a mathematic algorythm 3d texture, with different parameters u can work with so u can change its appearence, size, color and much other. its 3d, so u can also animate it in time with envelope, and most of times, moving it in the x,y, or z axes gives great results in animation. u can use it also in displacement, to really modify your mesh in animation.

PolyMangler
07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
don't forget gotter, he had that brain texture going on, and i think ambassador was right about the lighting being the key for the "look" of it

CG.p
07-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Which brain texture?

Carm3D
07-09-2003, 07:39 PM
C'mon think, Jimmy... Think..

BRAIN BLAST!

:p

CG.p
07-09-2003, 07:58 PM
don't forget gotter, he had that brain texture going on

Goddard's dome had a video static image sequence on it.

The Brain Blast..well...yeah...um.. I think that idea came from Paramount 'suits'.

Carm3D
07-09-2003, 08:22 PM
I thought the suits were responsible for editing out the acid-taking scenes that led to the brain blasts. :surprised:

CG.p
07-09-2003, 09:31 PM
You would think so...

Remember, these are the same type of people that cancel shows that are popular.

Much like the b*tch slapping Fox gives it's animation lineup. You know, the shows that pulled their network out ot the garbage. :)

Triple G
07-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by PolyMangler
don't forget gotter, he had that brain texture going on, and i think ambassador was right about the lighting being the key for the "look" of it

I had the opportunity to work with some of the Jimmy characters last year for a little 2-minute Christmas special for Nickelodeon, which was a lot of fun. They were the original Messiah rigs that DNA used for the movie. Yeah...Goddard's dome (and I believe the metal plating on his body, too...I can't remember now) used some procedural textures from the IFW collection, if I remember right. As others have mentioned, there was no cel-shading involved with any of the characters. They mostly consisted of hand-painted maps for stuff like the clothing, hair streaks, etc. A lot of times there were procedurals that were used as a base color (often just a large turbulence or fractal noise), with hand-painted alphas to control the color's influence. This was done a lot with the characters' faces, especially on their lips and cheeks. No UV mapping was used at all...the models were all broken up into separate surfaces which could then have images applied in whatever projection worked the best. This was probably because when the characters were created, UV mapping was not supported in Lightwave. And Polymangler's right...the lighting also had a lot to do with the final look. :)

sqitso
07-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Great info giys.. Can some explain alpha maps then? I keep hearing that term like it is something very important to good textures. Thanks so much guys.

Tom Wood
07-10-2003, 02:51 AM
This is all great insight. Can anyone speculate why the colors on the TV series are more pastel than the colors in the movie?

TW

CG.p
07-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Might be turnaround time on things. The lighting has to be done faster to crank out the series. There also might have just been a change in the look of the show. Paramount had control of the movie to some degree. Nick has control now that it is their series.

It also could just be that the film transfer had more attention to colors than just checking NTSC levels.

Thinking about it I'd lean more to artistic choice.

Triple G
07-10-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
This is all great insight. Can anyone speculate why the colors on the TV series are more pastel than the colors in the movie?

TW

Not sure. I know most of the models were redone after the movie (for instance, you can see that Cindy had two pigtails in the movie, now she only has one ponytail). I heard that the show is being done with Maya now instead of Messiah, so this, and probably some artistic license lead to the change in look.

@sqitso: Alpha maps are just a way of telling a texture where it should show up on a model. In Lightwave, any layer type can be an alpha map...you just change the blending mode in the surface editor. What it does is take the grayscale information of the layer and where the texture is white, the layer below will show through. Where it's black, it will block the layer below it. Where it's grey...well, it'll be somewhere in between. Alpha maps are very handy for many, many things. :thumbsup:

Nemoid
07-10-2003, 11:03 AM
One trick i think they used is to give to materials some value in the luminosity channell, because they used raytrace, and not radiosity, to get a more shiny look in certain areas.

lighting is the key to obtain astonishing results in the final image.:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.