PDA

View Full Version : Character: realistic hand

SPIDER2544
07-09-2003, 02:45 AM
www.deviantart.com/view/2369961
ok theres the link

my latest 3d project thats going to be turned into a photo realistic hand fully textured and all

right now the model has

1178 polys
45 triangles
1133 quads

only 17 points at the wrist (to keep poly count relativly low throughout the arm)

if you see anything that might be a major problem with animation let me know cause i intend on animating this

thanks a bunch

Aearon
07-09-2003, 03:19 AM
looks quite good rendered, but the mesh is a little messy.

this (http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/subdiv.htm) this is a good example of hand topology, might be an inspiration... you only see the bottom though.. and i think the other side is the biggest problem of your mesh.

- the knuckles need work, and the index doesn't even have one.
- you'll need to add some loops to get some more detail in that area.
- try to keep the density of your mesh just a little more uniform
- you need more detail around the finger joints for folds

jrwells
07-09-2003, 03:38 AM
I would like to see a side view, right now the base of the front of the hand down to the wrist looks a little flat, like there is not much of a palm there. I think it needs a little more height, and a much gentler slop down to the wrist.

The base of the thumb into the palm looks all wrong to me, if you try to animate this there is no way it would move right. It might not be a bad idea to study up on the bones and the muscle of the hand, it would help you a great deal in understanding how it moved, instead of going after just how it looks.

Also, the fingertips look too pointed, and it looks like you meshed the fingernails as part of the hand itself, you will probably get better results if you create these seperately.

Goon
07-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Compare your hands with them open as you have them posed and closed in a fist. Specifically i'm thinking about your first set of nuckles and the flesh around them. There is flesh there, it flows around the nuckle nearly flush to it, and only when the fingers are bent does it recede to the level that you have it modeled at.

Also, the nuckles are funky, especially on the index finger. Redo those. There should be a tendon running over each one from the wrist to the next join, if you flex you fingers back you can see it nicely.

Thumb: too short. Mine comes out right to the tip of the webbing between the index and middle fingers. Not sure what the varience is on this but shouldnt be too much.

visgoth
07-09-2003, 06:40 PM
The thumb doesn't have enough "meat" around the base where it flows into the palm.

Marcel
07-09-2003, 06:55 PM
There is also an interesting hand modelling thread going on at Spiraloid, check out the great topology examples over there:

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7

SPIDER2544
07-10-2003, 07:17 AM
ok i worked all day and i think i got it pretty close and i think i fixed just about everything people were pointing out

thanks again guys for the help so far

heres the latest

www.deviantart.com/view/2380415

poly count 1158
triangles - 47
quads - 1111 (cool huh heheh)

i use lightwave 7.5 if anyone is intersted

---FIST---
- knuckles and tendons on back of hand compleletly deleted and remodeled (FI's jigsaw used)
i actualy didnt need to add loops to get more detail i actualy used less loops and still got the knuckles to show through

---JRWELLS---
i put a side view in this one for you

- also i went and looked up some medical drawings of hand musculature and my isoparms now fallow those pretty closely so that should help with animation right?
-my fingers are kinda pointy so yea
- and i dont really see the advantage of modeling the finger nails seperately since they grow from within your finger doesnt it make more sense to model them into the finger?

---GOON---
- i now have a tendon comming from every finger

- i beefed up the thumb and thanks sooooo much for telling me the proportions of the thumb incomparison to the hand wouldnt have gotten that with out you thanks again :applause:

---visgoth---
i made the thumb a bit wider especialy near the joint

---marcel---

thanks for the link i saw a few ways to make tendons there and it helped me with deciding on mine

---------------------

ok does any one think that i should start texturing yet or are there more major problems with my mesh

some stuff i dont think i am going to do

-modeling wrinkles on the back of my fingers
mainly cause i think a bump map or a displacement map will be able to do a lot better job
-modeling fingernails seperately from the rest of the mesh
i really cant see any advantage to doing that ... nwo if some one can point one out i might change my mind

------- thanks again for all the help so far hoefuly ill get a decent setup soon

:applause: :applause:

SPIDER2544
07-11-2003, 02:39 AM
wow that sucks no more criticS?

did i screw my model up that badly?

gmask
07-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by SPIDER2544
wow that sucks no more criticS?

did i screw my model up that badly?

The thumb look smuch better but the nai; n it looks a bit too short the cuticle should start farther back..maybe like have the length of it back.

jrwells
07-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Your hand is looking much better, I especially like the palm view. The next major problem that I see is how thin the hand it, it needs a bit more bulk. Especially down toward the wrist, I doubt that your wrist is truly that wide and thin. I think you are making some good progress though, good job.

SPIDER2544
07-11-2003, 07:01 AM
ok ill fix the thumbnail next

and my wrist really is that small width wise but depth needs to come up a bit more

thanks for the feed back i think tomarow ill do my UVs then on to texturing

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.