PDA

View Full Version : Subdivide problem

DADDYGOODY
07-08-2003, 10:58 PM
here is my problem on video tape aprox size is 1mb.
Subdived Problem (http://www.123ezcd.com/problem.html)

Delucubus
07-08-2003, 11:15 PM
You can't just subdivide a section of a mesh like that. When you do that you're going to get a lot of errors in the surrounding mesh like what is happening with the black spots. If you want to add more detail you're going to have to add more edge loops.

DADDYGOODY
07-08-2003, 11:22 PM
How can I add More Mesh Loops. Alos How did my video look.

Brett H.
07-09-2003, 12:42 AM
You're not retaining quads (or tri's for that matter) when you subdivide a section like that. Remember, "only faces with 3 or 4 vertices can be converted to subpatches".

Brett

Steve Warner
07-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by DADDYGOODY
How can I add More Mesh Loops. Alos How did my video look.
The video looked fine. To add more mesh loops, use the Smooth Shift tool with a 0 offset (basically, right click and make sure your mouse does not move). It won't look like anything really happened, but here you will need to use the stretch tool ('h' key) to bring the edges in. This will create a new edge loop for you.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Nemoid
07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
there are many ways to add detail to your mesh.
u can use smooth shift, wich always generate quads, and also bandsaw, wich subdivides entire rows of polys as like u were cutting them ,but much more confortable than knife, because u can decide how many rows it will generate, and where.

combined with bandsaw amd smshift,u can also use the spin quad tool wich changes the edge flows in pairs of quads, so that they fit better with your needs. "rotating" some edge with spin quad, u can also decide how bandsaw will cut your mesh in certain regions.
then, there is jigsaw, wich also cuts, but generates some triangle, the effects of wich u can fix splitting also some poly, welding some point or merging polys.
if u cut or subdivide only a region with subdivide or knife, u get 5 or more sided polys wich can't be toggled in subpatches.

Dreamwave
07-09-2003, 01:18 PM
what I always do, when I'm subdividing similar to this, is cutting and pasting the polygons, then reselect and subdivide, then merge points...

you have more polygons in the desired area but no polygons sharing the 4> edges (if you know what I mean)

nessjp
07-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Dreamwave
what I always do, when I'm subdividing similar to this, is cutting and pasting the polygons, then reselect and subdivide, then merge points...

you have more polygons in the desired area but no polygons sharing the 4> edges (if you know what I mean)

Dreamwave,

I am curious now as to what you mean on this. Could you explain more or show us what you mean?

Thanks

DADDYGOODY
07-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks Guys Great Info Ill try it today when I get to work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.