PDA

View Full Version : Noob to Motionbuilder Question about LW

Remi
07-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Just got it...now how do I bring my .obj(model) into the program to start animating...sorry for the stupid question but I've got the VTMs and I've tried to find a post in here but I can't seem to find it...please help...thanks:)

Cman
07-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Remi!
Here's my suggestions:
1-watch the VTMs
2-check this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=67579)
3-watch the VTMs again.
4-You'll probably watch 'em again. :D

Have fun!

sensai2nd
07-09-2003, 01:13 AM
hmmm, it's an .obj file? I've only use .lwo files with MB, but, basically (and I mean real basic), rig up the skeleton in your 3D app., following MB's naming/heirarchy conventions, apply any weightmaps, then export as .fbx. Open the .fbx in MB and, from elements, drag a character onto your mesh, and click "characterize" in the pop-up. In character controls, change the input to control rig and, whammy, you're good to go!!! Just be very sure you follow MB's naming/heirarchy conventions!!

Remi
07-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks....and sorry about the misunderstanding...it is and .lwo file....I must've been drunk:surprised ..hehe....thanks for the help:thumbsup:

ngrava
07-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey, First you need to install the FBX Plugin for LightWave. Then, Put bones into your object following the nameing conventions(either in Layout or with skelegons) and Load it up into Layout. Go to the scene tab and open the General plugins menu. There's an "Export FBX" command there. Once you have the FBX file, just open it up in Motion Builder. You can put bones into the object in MB but I haven't figgured out how to do that yet.

-=GB=-

Remi
07-11-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm assuming you get the FBX from Kaydara...or am I wrong? Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

Geco
07-12-2003, 01:51 AM
you will find the latest version in the Kaydara Knowledge Desk>Downloads>FBX Plugins. (http://kb.kaydara.com)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.