PDA

View Full Version : Animation: super-human animated action sequence

blanka
07-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Here is an animated fight scene I had done a little while ago.

Feedback welcomed.

www.articlechampion.com

under downloads

Direct Links:

http://www.articlechampion.com/champion/champion.avi

http://www.articlechampion.com/champion/champion.mov

uncon
07-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Great! I loved the animation, fighting, style. Very well done, the only thing that I might suggest is shortening or removing the text at the begining, it takes a long time and makes the begining very slow. Other than that, it was a very cool animation.

flipper kun
07-08-2003, 10:34 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

E.Z. Schwartz
07-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Wow that was cooler than I thought it would be. Pretty intense fighting, and well worth the download. How long did it take you to make?

"The 4th dynasty is for no joke" isn't proper English though.

I'm going to go watch it again!

tenl
07-09-2003, 04:43 AM
Can you post a direct link to the animation.

If there is anything more annoying it's having to go to the authors website to find the link and then not have it work.

In the future, it would be best to post a direct link and a link to your website. Some people have slow connections and want to get to the point you know...:thumbsdow

Cool Website by the way....:thumbsup:

P.S. The links that you have posted on your Downloads Page there for some reason don't work:sad:

Taoizm
07-09-2003, 05:50 AM
okay, that was very cool, nicely animated and very well put together.

bravo, that was just plain fun to watch!! :applause:

psyop63b
07-09-2003, 06:06 AM
tenl: They didn't work for me at first either, but keep trying. It wasn't that hard to find the link actually. Also, if you're worried about the people with "slow connections" then why would they be downloading a 33 meg file? :rolleyes:

As for the animation, I was pleasantly surprised. The character art on the homepage is not all that phenomenal, but the animation really shows the quality of work you can create. And it's about 3.5 minutes of nonstop ACTION! Toonshaded as well! Excellent camera moves and interaction between the characters. That's what DBZ SHOULD be like.

I must know how long you took to plan and animate all that!

JulianHo
07-09-2003, 09:38 AM
The timing is gorgeous. How did you choreograph the whole thing? What references did you use?

jeef
07-09-2003, 10:58 AM
move over matrix reloaded smith fight scene!!

that was awsome, IMO some oe the character modelling could have been a bit better, and some of the background stuff but the fight animation was supurb!

:buttrock: :buttrock:

Shaykai
07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
oh man, the website is fantastic. THats such an awesome idea to have super heros sponsored. LOL great story. I'm on a 56k but i got a great speed. Only took about an hour and a half for the divx version.

This should definitly go on the front page, fantastic animation, great editing. Wow, just wow. 5 stars from me.

Shaykai

(edit)

I just gotta say i love the backround as well, its awesome you included an advertisment for freedom shoes or whatever so it all fits in with the world you have created. Great job!!!

Angel O'Death
07-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Yes, REALLY awesome! If only DBZ looked this cool :D

That's like one of the coolest vids i've seen on CGTalk. i love this kind of stuff, and you did it so well. bravo! you deserve a beer!

:beer:

krisr
07-09-2003, 03:52 PM
jeeezuz.....that was the most insane fight sequence ever. Must of taken you forever to choreograph it out. Nice.

Fitharn
07-09-2003, 03:55 PM
It says file not found :( Any mirrors?

Tephlon
07-09-2003, 05:09 PM
can't download... :-(

psyop63b
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Keep trying the link. It may take a couple times but he may be running into problems with bandwidth.

blanka
07-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Hey you guys

Thanks for all the comments!

For some reason the link isn't working consistantly.

I have fixed the Avi link, it should be fine now.

I will fix the quicktime this evening.

jscott
07-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Dude....THAT FREAKING ROCKS!!

For one I like Prodigy and that's one of my favorite songs. Really enjoyed the teleport and other effects during the fight. Really cool.

When the robot guy uses his jet pack to smash the dude into the car. Awesome!

-jscott

MaTaDoR
07-10-2003, 02:05 AM
wow that was really fun to watch!

my favorit part is when that one guy gets his a$$ beat into the wall at the end, ouch.

Someone make this into a video game fast!

RedSilas
07-10-2003, 02:17 AM
That was Sweeeet! I liked the piece. Great movement, timing, and the camera shots worked really well!

RavenX
07-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Pure, unadulterated bad-ass-ness. It's good to see that a hero that's so badass also has such a sense of humor. The only thing that could possibly be critiqued is the modelling, but hey, when the action is THAT good, who really takes notice?

KlooM
07-10-2003, 03:08 AM
That was fanTAStic!!

The retro style, the retro characters, the retro robot-sounds. The timing, the camerashots, the poses the moves. Oh man.
I'm not sure if any other short has made given me the craving for animation like that one. Somehow you made it look like it was easy for you, was it?

One could comment on the background looking a bit tacky, but I didn't care. It's kind of the same look as that new viewtiful joe game that's coming. Maybe it would look cool with a bit more gritty contrast.

Anyways, make more. Loads more.

krisr
07-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Yes, make more. I could watch that for hours....well maybe not hours but I could definately stand to see more :buttrock: I particularly like the part at the end where the one dude gets kicked in one direction and then kicked in the other direction shortly followed by a bounce into the pavement below....good stuff.

mehdianim
07-10-2003, 03:32 AM
I'll be picky: The animation it'self still feels like a first pass and sometimes the Camera is placed in awkward places that doesn't show off the action as best as it could.
But, But...you certainly got the choerography, martial arts poses and especially the intensity of the fighting down!!
I didn't expect to enjoy it at first...
All in all It was a blast to watch and I love how the combat slows down a bit then picks up again and your sound design adds a lot to it. Good job on that.
And I love how they slam each other against buses and walls!!!
Was that done on Animation master?
Rock on dude where's the sequel?!?!
:buttrock: :buttrock:

AirbORn
07-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Damm that was a really cool animation. I enjoyed every second of it. :thumbsup:

dmcgrath
07-10-2003, 04:02 AM
I don't usually chime in all "fanboy" but this was really good. I loved the timing, and the action was 3.5 minutes non-stop. Very creative combination attacks, and good teamwork between the members. Highly recommended!!!

koity
07-10-2003, 04:27 AM
I love fighting animation~
The robot flying squence should be a bit faster? I think it's a bit slow. I am not an animator so my critique may not be right....
All the camera shots are great. The animation is so intense. you must work really hard on it. Well done! :beer:

markw7
07-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Awesome. The future of comic books. It's got very creative choreography and I think the camera moves work -- they feel handheld. Perhaps a few moments could be a little less chaotic, but whatever. Good enough to look at frame by frame. Some constructive nitpicky comments? The text at the beginning is unnecessary. Out of context of website, I'd prefer to see quick intros of the characters: names and powers maybe. Arms start to intersect after a while. Blue robot *should* hit the bus' rollbar when he jumps. Some body poses are bent unnaturally. Some arms cave in. Explosion at midpoint is too long. Just needs some clean up.

That Adrian Guy
07-10-2003, 04:53 AM
OMG!!!!

That was so fun to watch! GREAT FIGHT SCENE GREAT STORY GREAT EVERYTHING!!!

w00t!!!11!!

RudeYuut
07-10-2003, 05:25 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: DAAAMMMMNNNNNN!!!!!

singularity2006
07-10-2003, 05:32 AM
omfg that was so bad@ss....!!!! :buttrock:

Quikp51
07-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Great choreography and good humor! Hoping to see more. The only gripe I have is the sound was a tad over the top.

Terminator
07-10-2003, 06:01 AM
oh my gosh i have never seen such a\ fight scene in my whole life and it was better than anything i have ever seen, as of now i am absolutely stunned i have nothin o say but u have done a outstanding job!!!

AVTPro
07-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Watch out...Jump ....gggrrrrr Get Him.....WTF....OUCH!!! *&*$%#$ Get him again.....!!!

Really enjoyed that!!!:buttrock:

onlooker
07-10-2003, 06:32 AM
That was a great fight! I liked the style of the characters very much. Well done! Extremely Well Done! :applause:

Hookflash
07-10-2003, 07:05 AM
VERY cool. Kinda rough around the edges, but still extremely entertaining. What software did you use to make this?

moovieboy
07-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Arrrrgh. No files! No files! No files! Someone crushed the servers! Grrrrrr....

-Tom

d4rk
07-10-2003, 08:44 AM
MaTaDoR said:
Someone make this into a video game fast!

It seriously felt like I was watching some people play a video game, in fact it felt SOOOOOOO much like the fighting style of the Supernintendo (superfamicom) Dragon Ball Z game. Especialy the double kick at the end where he kicks the guy in one direction and apears in front of him and kicks him again. Was that an influence?

It was really cool though. I also agree with the comment about some of the camera placement. However I really liked the way you cut back and forth during that middle part where they black/yellow guy came back from the dead. I like your style! I hope you do more too!

sforsyth
07-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Yeah, doesn't it just drive you nuts when everyone raves about something like this and it's not there when you go to get it. Has anyone provided a mirror for this?

Jeff Lew
07-10-2003, 09:36 AM
WOW.

That was awesome. I loved the teleport fighting. I'm gonna watch it again. :eek:

Jeff

Jeff Lew
07-10-2003, 09:44 AM
saw it again. that is just too good. The second time is even better than the first.

Jeff

KolbyJukes
07-10-2003, 09:59 AM
I really enjoyed that, it felt like watching a fighting game. I agree...move over Matrix 2, the part where Guy in black teleports in and kicks the crap out of three guys at once was awesome....

-Kol.

bentllama
07-10-2003, 10:18 AM
the concept is really cool...but the animation as a whole needs work.

nice editing and pacing.

ZVAN
07-10-2003, 11:52 AM
wow... cool animation! really some ASS-KicKiNG!!!!:applause:

j00st81
07-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Booya!

not often I watch cgtalk movies twice!

if i might nitpick aswell: the nerd hero that gets his ass whooped at the end: when he closes his eyes, you still see his blue pupils :D

hehe, but dont mind me, just keep doing what you do best ;)

t-man152
07-10-2003, 12:05 PM
very nice thats Rockin :buttrock:

JBoskma
07-10-2003, 01:34 PM
wow, great. Love the fighting style. The instant teleports is very well used at some points. 2 thumbs up:thumbsup:

Solesurvivor
07-10-2003, 01:41 PM
woohoo, i really like this one, the action was brilliant

one side-note : i don't like the way you've rendered it out, semi 3d/cartoon like, you should go fully '3d', or fully 'cartoon' style

but , great animation job:thumbsup:

Premutos
07-10-2003, 01:51 PM
That movie is amazing. The teleport thing is amazing.

AMAZING!

Glowfinger
07-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Absolute class, a couple of question,
What software did you use?
Are you going to expand it? (Coz I think you got a net-story ready to rival ninjai, but better)
How long did it take?

The character modelling could use work, but at the end of the day the animation is phenomenal and more than makes up for it. When black star bounces that geeza off the wall, Oh my god, jar dropping. Very dragon ball but thatís a GOOD thing. Iím already hooked give me more. And consider getting flash site done it deserves it.
:applause:

Ac0rN
07-10-2003, 03:03 PM
lol , I told ya you should put this on cgtalk , as I said on jefflew forums ... Very nice work :applause:

BTW: Congrats on the fronpage :thumbsup:

ZVAN
07-10-2003, 03:17 PM
woohoohoo.. reminds me of KOF and street fighter, oh yea.. DBZ!:thumbsup:

ManuelM
07-10-2003, 04:11 PM
hi

i didn`t read all comments. i liked your clip, especially the choreography of some moves, although it is sometimes hard to understand, what is going on, because of the camera work, which imo could be improved.

nevertheless:
good work. it must have taken you a long time to animate this clip

Infinity3d4life
07-10-2003, 04:49 PM
AWESOME... really reminds me of a DBZ fight scene, but 50 times better.. The camera gets a little funny in a couple of places, but nothing that would stop me from rating this 5 stars... truly awesome...:applause: :applause: :applause:

dingo
07-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Phat!!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

dgpilot
07-10-2003, 05:18 PM
holy FRIGGIN cow.
Let me tell you it takes A DAMN LOT to make me post a comment, but this piece blew me away. Absolutely fantastic fighting, bravo :beer:

Savage_Henry
07-10-2003, 05:27 PM
phenominal work!

I liked the backgrounds and the pacing quite a bit.
How about answering some of the questions posted?
I would sure like to know how long this took to make.

IDownupI
07-10-2003, 05:39 PM
OMFG.. wtf it his.. the last fight was :eek: :eek:

How? Did you animate.. not manuel ehh? mocap`?

:blush: Super great

agreenster
07-10-2003, 05:43 PM
I really thought the fighting sequences were well animated, but the non-fighting sequences needed another couple passes.

Levitateme
07-10-2003, 06:49 PM
blanka.

that animation is really fantastic, you have great great cmaera acton. you also have fantatstic imagination for fighting. alot of that made me laugh it was so cool. just a fantastic job wow. btw when they fought the black guy on the car, that was really great.

LostSoulĻ13
07-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Nice man I loved the binary code pop up that was clevar. Keep them coming.

Kid-Mesh
07-10-2003, 07:55 PM
:buttrock: Very Cool

singularity2006
07-10-2003, 08:19 PM
geeez, I've liked... watched that thing like 5 times now!! omG i want more more more!! are u gonna render more?!?!?!? PLEASE?!?!?!? =DDDDDDD

Cryo_RO
07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Really great the figting is fantastic , you got 5 stars from me too ..... now come on answer some questions :D

JelloGnome 2
07-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Wow, that's just fantastic!

phoenix
07-10-2003, 10:17 PM
nice piece of work........:wip:

brianellebracht
07-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Big surprise! That was amazing. Nice work,
Brian Ellebracht

Frank Dodd
07-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Excelent little animation I enjoyed it very much :)

mage111
07-11-2003, 12:03 AM
hey, i just watched this, and it blew me away. wow, very impressive.

the only crit would be audio - but that isnt even so bothersome. could also be the divx compression causing what i hear, but nonetheless its a great piece of action :-)

should be proud of the work here

The Cross
07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
I had to stop it when the character started crunching his enemies and call over my Girlfriend to enjoy this with me. Like so many of you we thought it was so nice we watched it twice.

I think the wild camera beefs up the look of the animation, ANd the amount of crunch on the subwoofer was alomost perfect. So i cranked it up and it was fine.

Well done Blanka.

MajinPunisher
07-11-2003, 12:49 AM
I can't play the bloody thing. I'm diein' to see it.

I downloaded it, but apparently I don't have the right video codecs to play it.

Any ideas?

jeef
07-11-2003, 01:05 AM
im pretty sure hes used divx... www.divx.com

chase311
07-11-2003, 05:10 AM
:buttrock:

Moriba
07-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm blown away by the responces. I'm jazzed people find it entertaining.

The details:

I finished it last summer, using 3ds studio max 3.1.
The compositing and a lot of effects were done in adobe after fx.
It took almost two years off and on (after work)
I keyframed the animation, no ik or character studio.

I think those are the majors, I hope I haven't left anything out.

I plan to put some new stuff and a streaming version on the site very soon.

:)

BeCOOL_MiN
07-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I Love It~!

At First time, I didn't like the characters.
However, Now?

I'm just keep watching and watching and watching again...

Animation is really Nice.

psyop63b
07-12-2003, 03:54 PM
That answers my question, which was "how long did it take?" But doing all that in your spare time is quite an accomplishment. Again, terriffic work! How did it feel to be at the top for a bit? Now that I know how long you took, I think I may be able to ask some more questions now that the thread has died down a little. Obviously when you're on the front page your thread fills up fast.

What kept your interest in this project that whole time? Over two years you must have had those months where you just didn't give a damn and let it sit for a while? If this was done in your spare time, what kind of spare time did you have? I'm guessing it was just a couple hours after school/work every day but that's just my guess.

Windex
07-13-2003, 04:08 AM
deh feh net li 1 of di most AWSOME fight scene/animation i have EVER seen

HOW DO YOU DO IT?????????????????? DANG

Copy and paste
07-13-2003, 06:17 AM
awesome!! good work

Moriba
07-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeah psyop63b-

You are right, there were definately times when I got tired of doing it, and you are right I only had at best a couple hours a day after work.

But I somehow reached a point, where I said it would be ridiculous for me to not complete it after the amount of time I already invested in it.

All in all is was pretty fun to animate, I wish I could do more, faster.

That Adrian Guy
07-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Moriba,

I've been showing this movie to my friends, and they have probably seen it 20 times since I sent them the link.

The teleportation fight had some of the best choreography and camera work I've seen in this forum.

(I see you made a fan of Jeff Lew! That's impressive!)

Pinky_Powers
07-16-2003, 08:25 PM
GREAT stuff!! I want to see more of this. My only real problem is the face animations, or the lack there of. They NEED more facial animation, in ANY animation that has to do with characters, you must have good expresions on their faces.

Other than that, sweet shit man!

MeLtDoWn
08-10-2003, 01:22 AM
from what i've heard about this so far it flat-out :buttrock: but i've tried both links and i'm getting nothing, and yes, i've tried re-loading the page more than twice, was it moved/deleted or something?

markw7
08-11-2003, 07:35 AM
I was able to download it directly from here just a few days ago:

http://www.articlechampion.com/champion.avi

MeLtDoWn
08-11-2003, 09:45 PM
thx :) , this movie is amazing

blanka
12-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Some people had mentioned that they didn't have the bandwith to download the divx or quicktime of the animation.

it's finally streaming at

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/the_black_star

for those interested the site has been redone

www.articlechampion.com
;)

Roesen
12-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Jesus christ.. this is amazing. First of all, I'm a big fan of this type of Cartoonish movies, like Toonami @ Cartoon Network.. so this freaked me out.. I like how all the characters got their own fighting style.. The sound, the animation, the camera, the timing.. everything is perfect.. could feel the pain.. :bowdown: Well done, make some more :D

shashhh
12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
didnt work:hmm: sometime it says the file is not available and sometime it just downloads nothing but a 150k mov file or avi and when i tried to open it, said its a file wich quick time doesnt understand......

do u have any other morrors or somethin....i really wanna see this one

:D

moovieboy
12-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by shashhh
didnt work:hmm: sometime it says the file is not available and sometime it just downloads nothing but a 150k mov file or avi and when i tried to open it, said its a file wich quick time doesnt understand......

do u have any other morrors or somethin....i really wanna see this one

:D

Go to his Web site, www.articlechampion.com, it has the Divx version there! :D

-Tom

harmonic01
12-20-2003, 05:41 AM
luckily I got a hold of the animation before the bandwitdth went down. :-) It's awesome.

shashhh
12-20-2003, 07:17 AM
awesome......i loved the cam moves and choriography......pretty proffessional.......one crit tho.......animation is lil snappy.....would have been better if you could have smothen it up a lil......and u could add some quick shots in slow mo.....

gr8 stuff....:buttrock:

shashhh
12-20-2003, 07:27 AM
ah one more thing....i forgot to tell ya.....in some fast cuts one cant figure out whats happenin to the black star......seems charactors are getin merged with the BG.......u need to tone down the bg a lil.......specially the sky color and some fast colors in the BG.......

:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.