PDA

View Full Version : Rendering for print resolution (Maya/MR)

modelriglightcomp
03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Have been asked to provide a hi-rez rendered image for use in a promotional campaign - for use in magazines, the side of buses, billboards etc.

I don't actually start the job until the middle of next week, but I just want to get a heads up on the likely problems that may be encountered.

The work is to be carried out in Maya with (I assume) Mental Ray.

The client has not specified a required resolution size (yet), so I am wondering what is a typical render size for such work? Is it common to render the entire frame out in one go, or would one split the frame into smaller chunks and stitch it together at the end? And if so, how would one split the render up?

Thank you!

mister3d
03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Deepnds on a complexity of a scene. Rendering in pieces may be a solution if you don't have enough memory.

sathe
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Render sizes are usually between 2000-5000 pixels for standard jobs A3 etc and 5000-10000 pixels for the larger campaigns.

Remember, if your rendering an element to be added into photography, crop to the required elements size. .
Rendering for print can be a real bastard sometimes, but It's worth it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.