PDA

View Full Version : environment: matte painting

GenConfusion
07-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi everybody, it's been awhile since I have posted anything on the forums. I have been busy making a promo of my work, and this image is a part of that project. Created entirely in Photoshop, (with an extremely rough 3-D render of the house for placement, and consistency) because there is a combination of shots that blend with one another, all centered on the house. So I chose to throw together a quick model of the house, instead of painstakingly plotting it out via perspective. This allowed me to play with camera angles much quicker. The end result of my work though is entirely Photoshop, since I'm not a 3-D modeler, my 3-D work is typically used as a tool in realizing a final painted project, as in this case:

http://www.taminglight.com/forum/estab_shot.jpg

thanks for looking

Bob Steinman

GenConfusion
07-09-2003, 04:19 PM
not even one reply? I was interested in hearing opinions on this.

oh well...

chach
07-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Looks very nice, man.
Say, is the grass in the foreground 3d or just masked bitmaps?

Tephlon
07-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Give it time :-)

I like it. The house does look a bit weird... too much perspective on the camera maybe. (in the 3D package). The grass and trees are incredible. The mountains and the atmospheric perspective (The "haze") are very cool.

Maybe you could add some detailed pictures? (I take it that it has a higher res than this?)

The only thing that gives it away as a painting really are the (garbage?) bags. They don't look real, too stuffed and they don't seem to lean against the porch.

There is also some weird streaks in the leaves of the trees, but that might be the resizing and compression.

Great job, very realistic!

HapZungLam
07-09-2003, 04:53 PM
do you have a bigger image? i can't see skill of yours. It is super photorealistic... which is nice. But if you have a bigger image that will be even better.

GenConfusion
07-10-2003, 03:41 AM
chach - everything is painted, no cut and paste bitmaps or 3-D used, except for in the rough layout of the house. I really wanted to push what I could achieve painting

Tephlon - after reading your comments, I noticed the same mistakes/eyesores and did my best to fix them, what do you think now?

HapZungLam - thanks, and here are some larger cutouts from it

http://www.taminglight.com/forum/1.jpg

http://www.taminglight.com/forum/2.jpg

http://www.taminglight.com/forum/3.jpg

thanks

GenConfusion
07-10-2003, 03:42 AM
BTW the image has been updated and overwritten

BiTMAP
07-10-2003, 04:15 AM
those bags look weird next to the house, as if they arn't quite sitting on the ground right.

maxmare
07-10-2003, 07:23 AM
The problem with the bags seems to be that they are casting shadows on the ground, but not receiving any from the wall they lean onto.
Very nice composition and details, those bring it to life. Keep it up.
But then again, I may be wrong.

GenConfusion
07-10-2003, 06:52 PM
IMAGE UPDATED/OVERWRITTEN, BAGS FIXED

maxmare
07-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Thumbs up from here. I like the picture a lot and one of the reason I like it so as to remember it if I ever see it again will be the bags, what are they, what do they contain? I think that intentional or not you have an intrigue plot going on there and that gives the images and edge that otherwise it wouldn't have. the fact that they are very clear under the sunshine points at them and drags your eye as a magnet, which is part of the plot I guess. I love it.
(Don't worry I won't tell anyone you've hidden the corpses in them)

Black Jesus
07-10-2003, 10:23 PM
when i first saw it i was thinking those mountains were pictures you took or something... so i'm actually quite impressed that those are paintings.

jeffkantoku
07-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Very well done!

I'm just wondering where this scene is set? What is the actual geographic location you have in mind?

Thanks for an admirable work. I look forward to your answer.

-Jeff

okkio
07-11-2003, 01:15 AM
impressive, I also thought you might have used photo's for the BKG, this impression though, is due to the seperation between the midground section, the dark brown ground plane and the mountains. It doesn't seem to have a believeable transition, which makes the mountains (which are very well painted) look a little like a photo in the background.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.